I Can't Put My Guitar Down

fox5150

Inspired
I'm sure there's no way that I'm alone in this, but since I got my Axe-FX a week ago, I just cannot stop playing. I'm finding that I am just so inspired by what I'm hearing, and I haven't really wavered from the presets yet. I followed a couple of Scott P's recommendations on one clean patch I like (254 - Studio Clean), which I *think* has made it sound more like the amp is in the room with me. Whether it has or not, doesn't really matter, it's tamed the highs that I wasn't enjoying, but it is just so inspiring to play.

I've come from playing a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special, which is an EL84-based amp. This amp simply shines with a singlecoil, rather than a humbucker, so my Les Paul's hardly had a look in for the last couple of years. Since the Axe-FX arrived, I've gravitated to my Les Paul as humbuckers are by far my preferred guitar tone, if I'm just playing for me. There's not anything particularly special about it; it's a 2002 Standard which I've fitted Bareknuckle Mules and repro Bumblebee caps too. It was my first proper guitar - my wife got an engagement ring and I got the LP ;) I got lucky when I found it as I've played others and they don't seem to ring or sustain like this one.

Only thing wrong with it is it doesn't have a handy cutout for the midriff protuberance that the Strats have; very convenient when you're a larger chap!

I can't wait to delve into this unit and get it cooking. I'm going to be probably asking all sorts of silly questions, but I promise to at least try and search for the answer first.

I was in two minds about whether to keep the Axe-FX or not, mainly due to the financial outlay to get it up and running for live use, but I think ultimately it's worth it. We're soon going to be switching to in ears full time and this way both the punters and I get a consistent sound, night after night.

Silly thing is, I restrung the Les Paul on Tuesday as it was sorely in need of it. Having pretty much played for whenever I can since then, it's going to need restringing again before Saturday's gig as guitar playing right now is quite intoxicating!

Now I'm in the enviable position of having a stable of most popular types of guitars, and good examples of them, together with just about every amp and effect I could think of in this box of wizardry. I've never been so inspired to play since I first started getting proficient, many years ago now.

Here's the Les Paul from when I hung it back on the wall about twenty minutes ago:

a4ab9c059f62319d79a7fa2b07736291_zps6918b04e.jpg

Enjoy ..... and don't think of the cost - it's there and will hold it's head high for years .... Even if you picked just 2 amps you think it does well, how much would the real ones cost and how loud would you need to play them to get them to hit their sweet spots?

yeah, just wait until we all get the $55k Dumble in FW10. This really feels too good to be true, but it's true. Best $2200 I ever spent in my life!
Love your LP too!

A fine quote from Sir Henry Royce (of Rolls Royce fame)

"The quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

Yes SIR!!

Nice looking guitar.

I have owned all three Axe FX's, and since the very first one I have not been able to put my guitar down.

Since my first Axe FX every morning starts with me getting my coffee, going into the man cave and jamming to backing tracks for 45 minutes.

That is typically how every day ends for me as well.

man, I don't even play in a band, or gig, or play outside the house and it's the best purchase outside of the guitar itself. I love it. I get great sounds at really low volumes which is what I needed since someone is almost always in the house. Plus, it's not taking up a ton of space (sits under my monitor) and since it's near my PC, I can record direct if I feel like it. No way to I ever think about it ever not being worth it. Enjoy it ALL the time :)

and sweet LP too :p

Back
Top Bottom