I can't feel my fingers any more - Seriously - Surgery Required - Bummed

Sorry to hear that man. Get well soon. Would appreciate being kept in the loop as I've been in the EMG/Echo/test boat myself since last october, all relating to similar sympthoms.

In my discipline, the 'carpal tunnel' class deals extensively with back, neck, shoulder and elbow. Often the wrist is secondary or even tertiary. They go way overboard on surgery too.

I will add this as my unscientific findings as a guitar player and guitar teacher for many years. I find people who get into these kinds of hand/wrist problems haven't really conditioned their hands. It's like suddenly getting a new guitar or a Fractal Axe, they're suddenly playing guitar 1,000% more than they did previously. This is when injuries occur. You have to condition your hands. If you've been playing a half hour ever other day move up to a half an hour every day, not 3 ours all of a sudden. Then to an hour a day, and so on. Guys I've seen hurt themselves get inspired and start playing 6-8 hours every day from little or nothing. It's not that you can't do long hours, but your hand can't take the sudden aggressive attacks. You're either training your hands or you're abusing them. Ease into it.

Damn. I had the same thing happen to me. Back in 2003, I got a tingling sensation in my pinky and ring finger. I lost power in my left hand and couldn't spread my fingers any more. Bending strings was next to impossible. A few weeks before I had stumbled on a stair with a heavy box and fell on my elbow. Apparently i had a fibroses that was pinching the nerve. Falling on my elbow seemed to have sped up the injury. So I had to have surgery in a hurry since it was deteriorating very fast. They moved my Ulnar nerve:
IMG_2270.jpg
I had to have three sessions of physiotherapy per week. But my best therapy was playing guitar. Even though it was quite hard at first, I kept playing. I met a guy who also played guitar and suffered from the same thing and he didn't play guitar whilst recovering. Afterwards he couldn't play any more. I'm still playing and after about a year( that's the time it took for the nerve to heal) I played better than before. So, as soon as possible, start playing and practising like hell.

I feel for you and hope you make a speedy recovery.

In the early 90's I had a piece of broken glass fall on the fingers of my left hand. I now have nerve damage in 3 of my fingers on my left hand. After the wounds healed up, it was an adjustment learning to play again, but eventually I did.

Damn. I had the same thing happen to me. Back in 2003, I got a tingling sensation in my pinky and ring finger. I lost power in my left hand and couldn't spread my fingers any more. Bending strings was next to impossible. A few weeks before I had stumbled on a stair with a heavy box and fell on my elbow. Apparently i had a fibroses that was pinching the nerve. Falling on my elbow seemed to have sped up the injury. So I had to have surgery in a hurry since it was deteriorating very fast. They moved my Ulnar nerve:
(BIG GNARLY PICTURE GOES HERE) I had to have three sessions of physiotherapy per week. But my best therapy was playing guitar. Even though it was quite hard at first, I kept playing. I met a guy who also played guitar and suffered from the same thing and he didn't play guitar whilst recovering. Afterwards he couldn't play any more. I'm still playing and after about a year( that's the time it took for the nerve to heal) I played better than before. So, as soon as possible, start playing and practising like hell.

WOW man! Thanks for the very graphic image, I will be having dreams of that big centipede for the next several weeks. Looks like I may have to finally get a TAT to blend in the scar.
I think you are right about using the hand as soon as is realistically practical. (And with the agreement of my Physical Therapist) I will follow your lead on playing soon after - I don't want to be that guy who was not able to play afterward.

Dude, I am seriously feeling that as I look at that freaking picture. I guess I better get used to it huh.... Hope I can get a little less length on my incision. I understand it will be about 3" in a slight "C" shape. Ouuugh boy.....
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's nice to hear the truth from another player out here.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to frighten you.
It looks a lot better now.
You can see the scar but it(s much lighter now.
The picture was taken the day after surgery and it was a bit swollen.
Hang in there. I'm crossing my fingers and hope all goes well for you.

Back
Top Bottom