I can't clip the Output on my Axe 3

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
On my axe 2 i used to find where the cleanest preset would clip and then make sure id back down the preset from there to make sure none of my presets ever clipped the output of the axefx. On the Axefx3 i cranked the amp level all the way up and the output block all the way and it still doesn't seem to clip the output unless I'm missing something.

Does the axe 3 just have massive amounts of headroom or something? anyone else notice this?

It can clip. Upload your preset so we can see what’s going on.

It’s better to use the VU meters for level setting rather than finding the clipping point and guessing down from there.

Did the output knob have an effect on the clipping for the axe 2?
are you looking only at the front panel LED meters for clipping?

because the Axe-Fx 2 didn't have Output Meters on the front panel.

are you trying to set your INPUT levels?

Turn the knob up and watch what happens.

you're right when i turn up the output knob it then clips. its because i had the knob turned down. i don't remember the axe 2 ever having an effect on the output clipping with the front panel knob. may i just never pushed it that hard and always kept the job at noon before.

whats the best position to keep the VU meters at? right at the red line?

yes, it did. just making sure you're discussing the right thing.

regardless, using the clip lights as a way to set your levels is not ideal at all.

got it. thats not actually the way i dial in presets. especially with the new VU meters on the axe 3. I just wasn't ever hitting the clipping point on the axe 3 which prompted me to keep raising it to see where the threshold was. i needed to turn the output knob up though.
sorry for the dumb question. thanks guys.

you're right when i turn up the output knob it then clips. its because i had the knob turned down. i don't remember the axe 2 ever having an effect on the output clipping with the front panel knob. may i just never pushed it that hard and always kept the job at noon before.

whats the best position to keep the VU meters at? right at the red line?
the Output meters on the Axe3 are dependent on the Output Knobs. this isn't different really from the Axe2 because there were no Output meters on the Axe2. yes, there were clip lights, so you could say that is functioning differently.

as with the VU meter on the Axe2, the "level set" area on the Axe3 VU meter is the point where it changes to red - just to the right of the middle. this is just a reference point. set your "normal" volume presets there. set presets you want louder so they are louder, presets you want quiet as quiet.

sorry for the dumb question. thanks guys.
not a dumb question. this is the first time we have Output Meters, so they aren't the same as the clip lights of the Axe2.

So where do you set your output knob typically. I noticed that the knob will effect the clipping however it doesn't change the VU meter at all. So if i set the VU meter right at the red line and keep the output knob at noon, if i decide to raise the volume from the output knob it may push it into clipping even though the VU meters don't represent clipping.

should i just keep the output knobs all the way up to avoid this?

or does the VU meter level represent the point it will be if the output knob is all the way up?

So if i set the VU meter right at the red line and keep the output knob at noon, if i decide to raise the volume from the output knob it may push it into clipping even though the VU meters don't represent clipping.
you set a preset at the line on the VU and with the Output knob all the way up, the Front Panel out meter shows clipping? did you actually see this or guessing that it could happen?

you set a preset at the line on the VU and with the Output knob all the way up, the Front Panel out meter shows clipping? did you actually see this or guessing that it could happen?

Sorry no i was just asking if that would be the case.

Personally I think you should set your amplification for unity gain, and then use the Output 1 knob to set it so you're hearing everything at a level you like and not blowing anything up... seems like there's alot of output on tap with the Out1/2. I believe Output 3 and 4 are designed for unity gain at 100% (for connecting to external equipment as an fx loop), not sure about Output 1. Me personally I keep it at about 50% as with my headphones I'm monitoring through (Blue MoFi's), that's a comfortable level that doesn't sound like I'm in danger of shredding anything. I level my presets so they're just dancing near the Red of the VU matters when zoomed out on the Grid.

Sorry no i was just asking if that would be the case.
cool.

in theory, if a preset levels at the VU level set line, then it won't clip the outputs.

of course adding blocks that add volume can clip the outputs, and that would show on the VU meter as well. just mentioning this in case you level set, then start adding things away from the VU meter and suddenly it's clipping - if you go back to the VU, it will show clipping there too.

Back
Top Bottom