I can't believe I missed this band until tonight.

I went back and listened to early stuff on Youtube. Never really listened to them before. Their name came up a bunch I remember in years past.
Anyway, really good band...no doubt!

Hands down the must underrated band ever. As others have said, start at the beginning and work your way through the catalog. The early albums are amazing, The later albums really progress into different styles while keeping that true to heart Kings X style and spirit. Dogman is one of my favorites by far.

I’ve listen to some (dogman mainly) and like it a lot but haven’t gone deeper.

are all albums in drop tunings?

I think "Faith Hope Love" was their vocal apex, but I think "Gretchen" was their lyrical and tonal apex. (Though I give extra points for the how the lyrics wrestle courageously with ambiguity in "Legal Kill" off "Faith Hope Love," not to mention the lovely acoustic work.) "Dogman" shares the groove apex with "Gretchen."

Last edited:
Ty and Dug did use the Axe-Fx (ultras?) for a bit. Not sure if they do anymore. Haven't seen them pictured with an Ultra for a long time. Ty has been using an orange CR120 solid state amp for many years now.

I'm a big King's X fan as well. It is unbelievable the sound that they put out as a trio with those three part harmonies while playing all of the rhythmically complex riffs that they do. My favorite album is Dogman. They have moved away from the progressive side of their songwriting on the more recent albums but they still have killer songs.

I remember seeing them with, I think, Mr. Big back when Gretchen came out, but my memory is kind of fuzzy back then. I was at the same club almost weekly seeing bands in those days. Great show though. Last time I went to see them, smaller local place, it was packed. They are underrated, but have a big following.

Back
Top Bottom