I can not get tone match to work

K2347

I have been following the tone match manual step by step and when I hit enter to match the tone it just sounds horrible.I am trying to match Primal Fear's tone using an isolated rythm guitar off the intro for their first tune "Angels of Mercy"off their latest cd.The amp I brought up on the Axe FX was the Angle Severe which is supposed to be an Engl which is what the band uses.It sounds like an AM radio running thru a distortion box after I match the tone.Just horrible.

did you try and get the tone without matching it? if the amp is in the box you should be able to get there...

Make sure you're not also using a Cab block.
I use a Cab block before the 'Tone Match' block almost all of the time. Dial it in with a Cab block to get it close, then use the 'Tone Match' as a final EQ.

Two benefits.........
  1. The less the 'Tone Match' block has to do, the better/more natural it usually sounds.
  2. You can easily dial back the 'Amount' parameter in the 'Tone Match' block to lessen the 'Tone Match's' affect. It's like a 'blend' control. At 0% is like the 'Tone Match' block is bypassed. 50% gives you an even blend of the Cab and the Match. 100% is the full Match.

What is a cab block may I ask?I went by the pdf manual word for word.
The Cab block is one of the block types in the Axe-Fx. There's one in the first picture of the PDF you posted above.

As @Moke says, you can use a cab block when you create your tone match. From the description of the tone you got, it sounded like you might have a tone match created without a cab, but then included a cab in your preset.

It might help if you post a clip of the tone you're getting. It's hard to know what you're hearing without hearing it. :)

If you're using a Tone Match block after a Cab block, I recommend disabling the Tone Match block while tone matching, then re-enable it when listening to the result.

If you're using a Tone Match block after a Cab block, I recommend disabling the Tone Match block while tone matching, then re-enable it when listening to the result.
I change the cab block to a tone match block per the manuel.Whats weird is the eq curve from my tone sample is -12db or more and almost a straight line.My amps curve looks normal.Will try again after work and take some pics.

Tried it again and it worked.Did not give me the results I wanted but it worked.Afterwards I actually just started from scratch with an Engl preset with a German V30 cab and pretty much nailed it on my own.I didn't buy this Fractal for tone matching anyway so i'm not really worried about it.Thanks for all the help/responses guys.

Back
Top Bottom