I can’t find a decent overdrive tone

Tommymo

Inspired
I just can’t seem to get any good overdrive tones on my FM3. The closest thing to half decent would be the Timothy drive but I just feel like all the drive options are fuzz like and don’t emulate a sound like a tube amp. I am resolved to using my Strymon Sunset in front of the FM3 Any suggestions for a good overdrive setting? I know it also has a lot to do with my guitar which is a Strat ( both single coils and a humbucker)

I use the boost option at AMP Block where I choose the drive modell and that works fine without using a DRIVE block.
And a drive can't emulate a tube amp because they are solid state I think you mean a emulate a tube amp with drive in front.

you don't say what amp you're running into or how it's set. generally the overdriven tones will be had from an amp that's on the edge of breakup or close to it. the overdrive will push into the natural compression of the amp and the extra level going in will naturally distort the amp, so the amp and drive will be working together. it can be quite tricky to get a nice overdriven tone from a pedal into a very clean amp, but it can be done. try the 3 knob tube drive if you haven't already. post the preset if you can...you'll get better advice if people can see/hear what you're up to.

you don't say what amp you're running into or how it's set. generally the overdriven tones will be had from an amp that's on the edge of breakup or close to it. the overdrive will push into the natural compression of the amp and the extra level going in will naturally distort the amp, so the amp and drive will be working together. it can be quite tricky to get a nice overdriven tone from a pedal into a very clean amp, but it can be done. try the 3 knob tube drive if you haven't already. post the preset if you can...you'll get better advice if people can see/hear what you're up to.
Ok I will try the” 3 knob tube” drive. Bear with me I’m and old guy so I’m not sure how to post my preset. Please explain. Thanks

Ok I will try the” 3 knob tube” drive. Bear with me I’m and old guy so I’m not sure how to post my preset. Please explain. Thanks
I'm an old guy too! Just type your message or here's my preset or whatever. Then hit "attach files" in lower left hand corner of message. Navigate to the preset and select it. That's it. You could save the preset to the desktop to make it easier to find if need be. hope this helps!

To post a preset you'll need to export it to your computer using the "Export Preset" in the "Preset" tab in Axe-Edit III. If you save to the default location, it should be in Documents/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit III/Presets.

As far a good sounding overdrives, the Super OD with Drive @ 2.0 is one of my favorites in the Axe III. The Jam Ray is another I'm liking lately. The key I've found is using less Drive than you'd typically think of using and adding a bit of Treble.

To post a preset you'll need to export it to your computer using the "Export Preset" in the "Preset" tab in Axe-Edit III. If you save to the default location, it should be in Documents/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit III/Presets.

As far a good sounding overdrives, the Super OD with Drive @ 2.0 is one of my favorites in the Axe III. The Jam Ray is another I'm liking lately. The key I've found is using less Drive than you'd typically think of using and adding a bit of Treble.
Thanks I will try to post it

I tried the tone of kings and it’s better sounding than the majority of drives. However when I compare my Strymon Sunset which I run into my Fm3 , nothing comes close. I guess what I am saying is ALL the drives have a little bit of a fuzz sound in them kinda like the way the Beatles recorded Revolution ( where the guitar track was plugged straight in the “ board” and crank way up to the point of distorting. Thanks for all of the input on this thread . I love the FM3 forum and all the support from all of you. Thanks

I tried the tone of kings and it’s better sounding than the majority of drives. However when I compare my Strymon Sunset which I run into my Fm3 , nothing comes close. I guess what I am saying is ALL the drives have a little bit of a fuzz sound in them kinda like the way the Beatles recorded Revolution ( where the guitar track was plugged straight in the “ board” and crank way up to the point of distorting. Thanks for all of the input on this thread . I love the FM3 forum and all the support from all of you. Thanks
I really don't think that's true at all.

Are you cranking the Drive knob or something?

What Amp models are you using and how are they set up?

Looking at the Strymon it has 6 different drive circuits. Which ones are you using?

Posting your preset would be best. Also, if you use a different preset with your Strymon post that as well.

I have never found this to be true-Been using Fractal for a long, long time. I am not saying "you" don't perceive this "noise". Just that I have never heard it. Remember, I am an old guy also. Been playing guitar for many decades....
But f you like what you get, that's cool also.

I just can’t seem to get any good overdrive tones on my FM3. The closest thing to half decent would be the Timothy drive but I just feel like all the drive options are fuzz like and don’t emulate a sound like a tube amp. I am resolved to using my Strymon Sunset in front of the FM3 Any suggestions for a good overdrive setting? I know it also has a lot to do with my guitar which is a Strat ( both single coils and a humbucker)
I have found that it is hard to NOT get a good drive sound using the FM3 or AX3 with almost all the overdrives in there (I have not used them all yet but every one of them that I have tried so far has produced something better than any drive pedal that I have ever owned/used).

It really would help if you can provide a preset that we can upload since you can definitely get a bad tone if certain parameters/settings are not tweaked for a combination of amp with a drive pedal just like your own amp with a drive pedal.

Last edited:
Im an old guy too, and finally just bought the Live Gold pack and for me, its the sound I love! Every amp has a Drive option and are so good sounding and just smile as I play any of them, highly recommend

Just to be sure. Did you put the cab block on? Or maybe turned cab modelling off in the global menu?

Back
Top Bottom