I bet you cannot match this tone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tone begins with the guitar though. It is not a bad excuse at all. Knowledgeable guitarists know this well.

Please don't insinuate what I or anyone else can or cannot notice. You come here, telling us to prove something for you, then you tell us we our opinion on recordings are wrong, then you tell us we can't discern a humbucker guitar on a recording? Great way to come to a new community.

Good luck in your search. Though this entire thread was clearly moot from the first post.
Thanks for your wishes, clearly we'll just have to agree to disagree here as well. As far as I'm concerned, it is a poor excuse because it is not in any way a barrier to achieving a tone. You're obviously a respected member of the community who hosts a website dedicated to teaching, so I respectfully think you should spend more time working towards a goal rather than making excuses to why it cannot be achieved. Excuses coupled with posts like the below are bound to set someone off eventually because they're not supported by facts:

who wants to sound like that low-quality recording? that is a main component of that tone. run the soundcloud recording through some lo-fi tape filter and you're there.

In my experience, even if you *did* tone match his tone 100%, it would never sound the same because there is only one Andy Summers. I would much rather watch a solid performance of MIAB with 90% tone match than a shoddy one with 100%. People spend years obsessing over emulating X person's tone, and don't know when to quit and just play.

In my experience, even if you *did* tone match his tone 100%, it would never sound the same because there is only one Andy Summers. I would much rather watch a solid performance of MIAB with 90% tone match than a shoddy one with 100%. People spend years obsessing over emulating X person's tone, and don't know when to quit and just play.
+1 And let's face it, even if you did nail his tone 100%, the hot girl in the front row is still probably leaving with your lead singer / bass player who spent zero time on his bass tone and all of it trying to look 100% like Sting damnit!

If you really believe that those MIAB takes are anywhere near as close to the originals as my attempt on EBYT, then we really have nothing more to say to each other because I have to assume that you're joking to invoke a reaction.

He's not joking and he's not alone in his opinion. I think you're in the ballpark as well but not as close as you confidently feel you are.

My attempt wasn't perfect, but it is pretty much as close as you're going to get in one take without any overdubs. The MIAB attempts weren't bad, but they felt like they were the guitarist's own impression of the song rather than a replication of the original sound.
Opinions are like assholes -- you and I and Chris all have them.

None of them really got my engaged and wanting to hear more, and that is what the correct tone (in my opinion) would do.
This is a subjective gauge of correctness and one that will make interaction on this forum particularly problematic for you if don't see this.

I bet you there are people out there who would assume Andy Summers himself recorded my track.
You hold far too high an opinion of yourself and your abilities.

In that vid posted by @Tex Axe , you can hear Andy's live tone is not like the isolated track either.

The iso track sounds like 3 guitars for the main parts using a humbucker. The fills sound like a single coil pickup with a single guitar.

Overall I'm still thinking the main tone is a JC120 with the chorus on. The texture of the distortion on that amp is pretty unique. Maybe because it is a solid state amp vs. tube?

Ok , i continue my monologue lol here's another try , tweaked with my monitors, not my headphones (mistake to make a sound with headphone, i should know that)

it's a squier classic vibe strat with a humbucker (very low output) ,
message in a bottle, a bit of bring on the night, and so lonely's solo (what i remember)

thanks you , and you can continue to fight now lol

@stefherbuel sounds pretty close on my studio monitors. (I will not use spot on! lol even though I'm a close enough is more than good enough guy)

That tone match even added a little boxiness heard in the posted iso track; presumably from the mic used on the original track (or artifacts from youtube, et.Al. audio compression)

and the final touch, the "tonematch" function.
0.00 - 0.06 : Andy summers, original record
0:07 - end : axe fx II

of course you can fine tune to sound exactly etc,

I was about to stop following this thread because the OP seems to honestly just be trolling rather than gathering actually information about what the Axe Fx can do... But that clip sounds pretty close. There is definitely a difference, but IMO, it sounds better than the clip in the video Tex Axe posted.

As far as I'm concerned, it is a poor excuse because it is not in any way a barrier to achieving a tone.
Having the wrong guitar is absolutely a barrier to achieving a SPOT ON copy of a tone.

This has been learned by many people here time and time again. They think they need the amp and effects modeling perfect, when it really was just the missing right guitar the whole time.

It's not an excuse; it's a fact. Maybe we have different definitions of "spot on."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom