I bet you cannot match this tone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raise the gain a bit, add a little phaser for some swirl, and EQ to suit your guitar. Otherwise, Matt has nailed the core of the tone.

Sorry, it is difficult for me to do video, but here's a preset for you:

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Message in a Footswitch - by Admin M@
It uses EXT1 to change the harmony from 3rds to 5ths. I used a spring-loaded Boss Footswitch. I'd simply step down on it upon playing the low F#, and release it when the phrase starts again on C#.

And here's a little recording. I played it with the harmony a little hot so you can pick it out.

One thing you'll notice is that to create the discrete harmony, the notes need to be played as more of a line, with less overlapping sustain. This changes the feel a bit, but I hope you'll agree it's cool to finally hear this harmony live!

What do you think needs to change, besides the tweaks I mentioned?
My comment was more towards the fact that the recording you provided sounds nothing like the original. You could be correct in your tweaks, but I'd like to actually hear a sample that sounds like the original, because I haven't seen anyone on YouTube manage to do it.

My comment was more towards the fact that the recording you provided sounds nothing like the original. You could be correct in your tweaks, but I'd like to actually hear a sample that sounds like the original, because I haven't seen anyone on YouTube manage to do it.
who wants to sound like that low-quality recording? that is a main component of that tone. run the soundcloud recording through some lo-fi tape filter and you're there.

just another example of not being able to separate the (out of context) processed recording from a guitar tone.

What's the purpose of your post, @theguitarist?
Do you have an Axe-Fx or AX8 and want a preset?
First off, apologies if I've come across as a troll, that is not my intention.

The reality is that I've spent the past year trying to replicate that tone with a number of amp modellers and have been unsuccessful with each one. Also, I have watched a number of YouTube videos covering the song, and no one has even come close to getting that tone in my opinion. To me, that is unbelievable because you can find people showing off their near-perfect Van Halen sounds, so what makes this one so hard to get? I understand that its harmonised, but there is something about it that I can't quite put my finger on. The tone seems clean overall, but packs a discrete crunch-like sound which gives it the extra kick. The Soundcloud attempt was way too clean in my opinion.

I don't want a preset. I want someone on here to nail that tone and thereby prove to me that it is indeed possible to get it, which will be of great help in determining if Axe FX (and its tone matching capability) is the right product for me.

Lets put it this way, @theguitarist Firstly, the tone created by @Admin M@, if you consider the shitty tape quality of the OP's Post
As Chris Pointed out above, is spot on, and Matt is the guy who tweaks presets for the superstar players who use FAS gear. And, if you are obsessed with Mr. Summer's tone, you should know that he is now an Offical Fractal user and endorser, I would Think that would be enough to sway you. sorry I accused you of trolling, just buy one of these things.

Last edited:
Lets put it this way. Firstly, the tone created by @Admin M@, if you consider the shitty tape quality of the OP's Post
As Chris Pointed out above, is spot on, and Matt is the guy who tweaks presets for the superstar players who use FAS gear. And, if you are obsessed with Mr. Summer's tone, you should know that he is now an Offical Fractal user and endorser, I would Think that would be enough to sway you. sorry I accused you of trolling, just buy one of these things.
Tape quality has nothing to do with it in this case because the tone is just nothing like it. It definitely makes a difference in the scheme of things, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't magically turn tone into something that it is not configured to be. Want an example of where the tape quality can be seen making a difference? Well listen to the below cover, and I'm sure you'll agree that the guitar tone is still (undeniably) spot on per the original recording:

The Soundcloud attempt was way too clean and you can barely hear it over the backing track. I'm not sure what processing effects were applied besides chorus, but the tone even sounds computerised to me.

I don't want a preset. I want someone on here to nail that tone and thereby prove to me that it is indeed possible to get it, which will be of great help in determining if Axe FX (and its tone matching capability) is the right product for me.
We have no obligation to prove anything to anyone. The Axe has been around for 10 years now. Look at the artist roster. Read the 10s-of-thousands of posts here. You want an axe? Get one. Unsure? Then don't get one.

I'm tired of how people treat the users and very generous community here on this forum. People waltz in here with demands and don't care about anyone's track record - In fact, forum members have to repeatedly prove themselves all the time.

Taking a break has really opened my eyes to how some people are treated here. Posts like this don't inspire me to come back.

Save your hat. You can get fiber from many other types of nutritional and tasty cuisine.

We have no obligation to prove anything to anyone. The Axe has been around for 10 years now. Look at the artist roster. Read the 10s-of-thousands of posts here. You want an axe? Get one. Unsure? Then don't get one.

I'm tired of how people treat the users and very generous community here on this forum. People waltz in here with demands and don't care about anyone's track record - In fact, forum members have to repeatedly prove themselves all the time.

Taking a break has really opened my eyes to how some people are treated here. Posts like this don't inspire me to come back.
I don't feel entitled to anything, I just made a post on here in case someone wanted to accept the challenge that I see as the impossible. There could be someone out there who loves to replicate tones and would actually enjoy doing something like this.

No one says you must help me make my decision with buying Axe FX. No one is forcing you to do anything.

I don't feel entitled to anything, I just made a post on here in case someone wanted to accept the challenge that I see as the impossible. There could be someone out there who loves to replicate tones and would actually enjoy doing something like this.

No one says you must help me make my decision with buying Axe FX. No one is forcing you to do anything.
see the little problem here is you are not asking help to tweak your tone or not asking for a preset. you want that someone spend his time to proof you something about axe fx.. with your words here :
see for an example we dont go the a guitar shop and say ''take this strat and if you can show me that you can sound similar to eric clapton i can decide if this is the right product for me'' instead you actually grab the product and try. ask for someone who has axe fx and go to his place if necessary and try by YOURSELF and see if its fits to you or not. if you dont know how to use the parameters in the unit ask anyone around here people will gladly help.
you say you just made a challenge but for me it sounds like you are too lazy to try yourself (with other peoples help if necessary as i said) so you just want someone to proof something about the unit.

what i say may sound harsh but i mean no offence and i didnt reply to pick up a fight if you somewhat feel insulted im sorry

see the little problem here is you are not asking help to tweak your tone or not asking for a preset. you want that someone spend his time to proof you something about axe fx.. with your words here :

see for an example we dont go the a guitar shop and say ''take this strat and if you can show me that you can sound similar to eric clapton i can decide if this is the right product for me'' instead you actually grab the product and try. ask for someone who has axe fx and go to his place if necessary and try by YOURSELF and see if its fits to you or not. if you dont know how to use the parameters in the unit ask anyone around here people will gladly help.
you say you just made a challenge but for me it sounds like you are too lazy to try yourself (with other peoples help if necessary as i said) so you just want someone to proof something about the unit.

what i say may sound harsh but i mean no offence and i didnt reply to pick up a fight if you somewhat feel insulted im sorry
I don't own an Axe FX and don't know anyone who has one, so I can't try it for myself unfortunately. Honestly I'd love to try out the tone matching capabilities.

As for me being "too lazy", clearly you missed the part where I mentioned that I've been trying to replicate this tone with a number of amp modellers over the past year.

First off, apologies if I've come across as a troll, that is not my intention.

The reality is that I've spent the past year trying to replicate that tone with a number of amp modellers and have been unsuccessful with each one. Also, I have watched a number of YouTube videos covering the song, and no one has even come close to getting that tone in my opinion. To me, that is unbelievable because you can find people showing off their near-perfect Van Halen sounds, so what makes this one so hard to get? I understand that its harmonised, but there is something about it that I can't quite put my finger on. The tone seems clean overall, but packs a discrete crunch-like sound which gives it the extra kick. The Soundcloud attempt was way too clean in my opinion.

Thank you for your answer. I can understand your desire to seek some confirmation before buying a device.

Difficulty about tonematching such a recording is that the track also includes effects. And that there are (at least) two guitars in it.

There's not that much gain (distortion). I think the reason that it sounds so full-bodied is that those amps were recorded very loud.

I don't think tonematching is necessary to achieve that tone. It should be possible to just dial in the Fender Twin model.

(BTW, that track sounds just like a JC120 with the chorus on to my ears.

I've got a JC110 that can get really really close to that tone.)

I don't think all "challenge" posts are made with malice or bad intent. They may be naive though.

The bottom line is, it will take some work to get a really close version of that tone from the Fractal.

As for the reaction here, for a lot of musicians getting close enough, is good enough. It's more about the performance and music than exact tone cloning.

What you hear on most hit records is the result of a lot of work by very talented people. It is a little unrealistic to expect it to be trivial to reproduce.

Your VH example is a good one, I would say tone chasing VH 1 is far from over, so has anyone really completely nailed that tone?

To get really close, there are lots of considerations, starting with the guitarist and how they approach and play, the guitar, the pickups, the strings, the setup, the pick and or fingers.

Next the amp(s), speakers, microphones, room, mic preamp, outboard efx applied during mixdown. Also any efx pedals used in front of the amp, in the amp's loop, or anything in general "printed" during tracking.

don't want a preset. I want someone on here to nail that tone and thereby prove to me that it is indeed possible to get it, which will be of great help in determining if Axe FX (and its tone matching capability) is the right product for me.

Just chiming in here on a key point as you are not an owner of an Axe Fx. Do you actually know what Tone Match is? It's not like Kemper profiling... The Tone Match is essentially a fancy EQ analysis. You still have to dial in a tone that is very close to the one you are after, then you apply a Tone Match between your tone and the one you are trying to match.

@theguitarist your decision to purchase an AxeFx should be based on what it can do for you, and its quite a bit. It will not provide nirvana to all users, some perhaps, others to varying degrees of satisfaction. Asking forum members to provide a post to satisfy your particular ears preferences is a bit much. But if your truly interested the members here will graciously help when ever they can and FAS staff will also respond to your questions when able.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom