I bet you cannot match this tone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is what I get might need echoplex on short slap back and compressor as Andy says in video.
But I re did this patch and this is what I got...

See below
change lfo to 1.909hz throw the lfo phase to 180.0 deg and set auto depth too HIGH

adjust level to taste and see if that sounds a bit more like it.....

Hope this helps

they might be doubling things when he hits the c# min 7 and its real thick
or they might throw in phase 90 with it or something from the roland chorus amp
adding chorus and flange together to get it so THICK there... seems to be thicker on one chord
c# min 7 right before WOKE UP THIS MORNING part... might be echoplex and verb kicked in there or doubled..

Paraphrased :
The MXR Flanger (not the micro) is nice. It can do subtle to heavy flange, and you can disengage the LFO and use the "manual" knob to tune the frequency and get a nice frequency bump. Nice for getting a vowel like tone on lead guitar. The EXH Deluxe Electric Mistress can do this as well.

If you don't mind digital, you can also look at the EXH Stereo Electric Mistress, which can do chorus and flange at the same time. It's a bit more metallic sounding than the Deluxe EM.

A Flanger is just a short modulated delay with regeneration. There are a few delay pedals that can do flange effects...the original Memory Man being one. If you want something versatile, look for a flanger with control for delay time and regeneration. Flange delay is usually between 4ms and 10ms. It is the delay time that give the overall character...shorter delays having a sharper, more phase like metallic sound. Longer delays will give you a warmer, chorus/univibe type sound. <<<<<<<< READ THAT LAST LINE IMPORTANT...

He says its the delay time that give the overall character shorter delays having sharper more phase like metalic sound longer delays giving you warmer more chorus univibe sound....

So reading that and using the screen shot I provided you might set knobs as I set them then tweeze the DELAY TIME knob
past 1.000 set the rest as I set them then mess with that and I bet it gets you in Andy land...
[/QUOTE]

As always @Tex Axe , your heart is in the right place....but you do realize that the OP does not own a fractal product as yet (till he wises up)....this info is great for the rest of us tho!

"Message" with 1 guitar and no harmonies:

https://clyp.it/tif1dgar
I did like this version, but that is not it, I'm sorry. The sound is too thin, the highs are too loud and your gain (I don't know why) sounds computerised rather than as if it was coming from a real amp. I feel bad for criticising people who are just trying to help, but honesty is always the best policy and that is my reason for stating the truth.

I would like someone to do exactly what I did with Every Breath You Take to the point where the only thing you could criticise is the layering and overdubbing rather than the actual tone, then point their middle finger right back at me.

I do appreciate the efforts but I'm starting to get worried this tone cannot be replicated, yet as you heard by my track, Every Breath You Take clearly can (the secret to that tone is to use a lot of Convolution Reverb, not delay).

My take on this ,eq is not the same / flange is not the same, but i think it's in the same vibe.
original record sound like it was recorded in the bathroom (strange reverb !)
i tried to put a reverb (in mono) in the same vein and add some white noise (lol) because it's part of lo fi that you hear in this video lol
But i can tell you something, with axe fx with some work you could do it , like you can do the brown sound who was as complicated amha.it's just that a lot of people prefer the brown sound.
biggest thing of axe fx : you can do anything
worst thing ? you can do anything (time eater etc lol)

Btw no tonematch here, just plexi amp and stock cab

Last edited:
I did like this version, but that is not it, I'm sorry.
I would like someone to do exactly what I did with Every Breath You Take
but that's exactly the point:

levipeto's take sounds as close to MIAB as your take sounds to EBYT to me (and other people too). i wouldn't say your EBYT is as spot on as you're saying it is, so i too could say "I did like this version, but that is not it, I'm sorry."

in fact, i'd say your version of EBYT has the same sorta things "wrong" with it as Matt's MIAB, the first soundcloud posted here. if you play the original recording next to your take, there is definitely a difference in tone.

all of these examples are definitely close enough for a cover band to play the song - nothing is wrong with these tones. but i would not say your EBYT is closer to the original tone than some other MIAB examples in this thread.

now begins the argument of who has better ears.

so it's really not up to us to find something close; it's up to you. everyone's opinion is going to be different on what sounds close and what doesn't.

but that's exactly the point:

levipeto's take sounds as close to MIAB as your take sounds to EBYT to me (and other people too). i wouldn't say your EBYT is as spot on as you're saying it is, so i too could say "I did like this version, but that is not it, I'm sorry."

in fact, i'd say your version of EBYT has the same sorta things "wrong" with it as Matt's MIAB, the first soundcloud posted here. if you play the original recording next to your take, there is definitely a difference in tone.

all of these examples are definitely close enough for a cover band to play the song - nothing is wrong with these tones. but i would not say your EBYT is closer to the original tone than some other MIAB examples in this thread.

now begins the argument of who has better ears.

so it's really not up to us to find something close; it's up to you. everyone's opinion is going to be different on what sounds close and what doesn't.
If you really believe that those MIAB takes are anywhere near as close to the originals as my attempt on EBYT, then we really have nothing more to say to each other because I have to assume that you're joking to invoke a reaction. My attempt wasn't perfect, but it is pretty much as close as you're going to get in one take without any overdubs. The MIAB attempts weren't bad, but they felt like they were the guitarist's own impression of the song rather than a replication of the original sound. None of them really got my engaged and wanting to hear more, and that is what the correct tone (in my opinion) would do.

I bet you there are people out there who would assume Andy Summers himself recorded my track.

i definitely wasn't joking, and i'm not trying to keep the conversation going by disagreeing with things you say.

My attempt wasn't perfect, but it is pretty much as close as you're going to get in one take without any overdubs.
I bet you there are people out there who would assume Andy Summers himself recorded my track.
statements like these, likewise, mean we really have nothing more to say to each other. it does not sound like Andy Summers himself recorded your track. if you are actually Andy Summers, it still didn't sound like the original recording to me, to the degree that we have taken this comparison.

again, none of these have been bad tones, but it seems we have gone down to a very minuscule level of judgment for these tones. you may just prefer your tone due to the work put in to get it, but it is definitely different than the original. and, to be honest, it doesn't really sound like a very involved tone to replicate. i'd say this one is way more about the guitar and muting than anything else.

i definitely wasn't joking, and i'm not trying to keep the conversation going by disagreeing with things you say.

statements like these, likewise, mean we really have nothing more to say to each other. it does not sound like Andy Summers himself recorded your track. if you are actually Andy Summers, it still didn't sound like the original recording to me, to the degree that we have taken this comparison.

again, none of these have been bad tones, but it seems we have gone down to a very minuscule level of judgment for these tones. you may just prefer your tone due to the work put in to get it, but it is definitely different than the original. and, to be honest, it doesn't really sound like a very involved tone to replicate. i'd say this one is way more about the guitar and muting than anything else.
If it's such an easy tone to replicate, then you do it. If the other samples in this thread are anything to go by, you won't be getting close.

As far as I'm concerned, you asked for a sample, and the sample I gave you was spot on because you still haven't technically given me an explanation of what the tone is missing. If one of the other members in this thread posted it, you would be more prone to admitting that fact, but hey, that's ego for you right?

If it's such an easy tone to replicate, then you do it.
i don't have the right guitar to replicate that tone.

As far as I'm concerned, you asked for a sample, and the sample I gave you was spot on because you still haven't technically given me an explanation of what the tone is missing.
i don't think something is "spot on until explained otherwise." i can just hear that it's not spot on when comparing to the original recording.
If one of the other members in this thread posted it, you would be more prone to admitting that fact, but hey, that's ego for you right?
this is not true. what i've said so far is that your sample is just as close to its song as the other samples are to their songs. i've repeatedly said that none of the tones are bad. it's just not as close as you think it is, in my opinion.

--
i made a clip comparing the original and replication. i want to clarify - again - that the tone is a fine tone that would work well in a cover version of this song. but to me, it does not sound "spot on" or identical by any means, even when ignoring the slight tuning and tempo differences. but hey, that's ego for you.

https://clyp.it/faraj3f5

For anyone just joining this discussion, the creator of the replication has used phrases such as "spot on" and "as close as you're going to get," and I'm simply disagreeing. It is a close replication of the original, but not to the degree of "sounds like Andy Summers played it," in my opinion. He has discounted others' replications of Message in a Bottle which, I feel, are the same amount of "not quite exact" as his replication of this song.

Last edited:
i don't have the right guitar to replicate that tone.
I laughed way more than I should have when I read that.

Can you do the same thing with the MIAB attempts please against the original recording as you did with mine? Just for humour, I would like to show you that while mine is close, the others are nowhere near.

What is funny?
That is a bad excuse for not being able to replicate a tone. My take was done on a guitar with humbuckers, and I doubt you or anyone else would've noticed.

Anyway, this is a waste of time for both of us. Agree to disagree. I didn't come on here to troll; I came on here to ask if anyone could replicate the tone, which would then guide my decision on whether to buy Axe FX. Unfortunately I haven't been overly impressed by the samples to justify what is an expensive purchase, and fair to say my decision has been made at this point.

On a more positive note, I would like to thank everyone who attempted replicating the tone. If you still think you can get closer, please let me know.

My take , on soundcloud

eq is not the same / flange is not the same, but i think it's in the same vibe.
original record sound like it was recorded in the bathroom (strange reverb !)
i tried to put a reverb (in mono) in the same vein and add some white noise (lol) because it's part of lo fi that you hear in this video lol
But i can tell you something, with axe fx with some work you could do it , like you can do the brown sound who was as complicated amha.it's just that a lot of people prefer the brown sound.
biggest thing of axe fx : you can do anything
worst thing ? you can do anything (time eater etc lol)

Btw no tonematch here, just plexi amp and stock cab

That is a bad excuse for not being able to replicate a tone. My take was done on a guitar with humbuckers, and I doubt you or anyone else would've noticed.
Tone begins with the guitar though. It is not a bad excuse at all. Knowledgeable guitarists know this well.

Please don't insinuate what I or anyone else can or cannot notice. You come here, telling us to prove something for you, then you tell us we our opinion on recordings are wrong, then you tell us we can't discern a humbucker guitar on a recording? Great way to come to a new community.

Good luck in your search. Though this entire thread was clearly moot from the first post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom