I believe we've found Buddy Holly's missing '54 Stratocaster.

And it's right here, where I live in Australia, with a friend of mine. Check this out.

He paid $3,500 USD or $3,000 AUS in 1979. If that is indeed Buddy Holly’s guitar, that would be one hell of a profit margin! A 54 Strat would be worth a lot of money on it’s own, but I would imagine it wold be priceless if it could be proven without a a doubt that it was Buddy Holly’s.

What a story, if true.

Very interesting, but looking at still pics on the internet of Buddy Holly playing the guitar, the pickup up wear on the bottom of the neck and middle pickups does not look the same to me. Damage looks bigger then than now and shaped differently. Just my observation.

Very interesting...Just my observation.

Yep, and a fair enough observation too. However, I can tell you that the guitar was bought from a relative of Buddy's in Lubbock TX around the end of 1979. He'd had it under the bed for 20 years. A crazy coincidence at least. Also, Gil is the first to admit that the claim hasn't been able to be verified given the lack of serial number records. But it's a good story and at the very least, we have a proto '54 to have fun with.

Great work Brett! Thanks for sharing.

Now can you please find Clapton's missing Les Paul. Joe B, claims to know where it is, so you can start with him.

Yep, and a fair enough observation too. However, I can tell you that the guitar was bought from a relative of Buddy's in Lubbock TX around the end of 1979. He'd had it under the bed for 20 years. A crazy coincidence at least. Also, Gil is the first to admit that the claim hasn't been able to be verified given the lack of serial number records. But it's a good story and at the very least, we have a proto '54 to have fun with.

Maybe Buddy Holly had a second 54 prototype that no one knew about and it ended up with the relative. The damage on the pickups, if not the same, looks very similar.

Is it possible that could be the 58? Cant recall the finish options at this time

Here’s what I found;

“The 1958 Fender Stratocaster had a number of changes, none I personally liked much. First the classic 2-tone sunburst (yellow to dark brown) was changed to a 3-tone finish (yellow to red to dark brown).”

http://www.guitarhq.com/58strat.html

The guitar in the video, looks like it only has a two tone finish, yellow to dark brown, so it’s pre 58.

I watched a show about finding Bob Dylan's guitar when he first went electric and got booed off the stage.

They compared the wood grain on the guitar to a photograph of Dylan playing it on stage and the woodgrains lined up perfectly.
Any other features on a guitar can be damaged or repaired but the grain is like a fingerprint.

Nah, joshing. There is a slight chance, though. I know some people... I'll check it out. I didn't know anything about that Les Paul, to be honest. I've never been a big fan of Mr Clapton. Maybe I should invest some time.

its the subject of a book that came out some years ago "Million dollar guitar"....pretty interesting

The Beano Les Paul as seen with Clapton on the back of the album.

Super cool story. Holly's 54' appears to have very light markings on the 3rd fret. The guitar in the vid is fairly heavy. Holly's guitar also seems to have more wear in the body curve.

its the subject of a book that came out some years ago "Million dollar guitar"....pretty interesting

The Beano Les Paul as seen with Clapton on the back of the album.

My best contact (who brokered the Peter Green Burst to Kirk Hammett) tells me that it's "Buried deeper than the Pharaohs!" Meaning it's going to be a tough one.

My best contact (who brokered the Peter Green Burst to Kirk Hammett) tells me that it's "Buried deeper than the Pharaohs!" Meaning it's going to be a tough one.

Considering that the pharaohs are all on display in the Egyptian museum that may not be so deep after all. ;)

Back
Top Bottom