I am on the list!

mikhael47

I've decided to augment my current rig with a grab and go box. The FM3 is my choice. I know I am probably a long way away from getting mine. I just got on the list a few weeks ago.

Currently I run a Mesa Mark 5:25 with a FX8 using the 4cm. This rig is stellar. It's pretty much a grab and go rig, but to further it's portability and a backup rig, I run a Hotone Binary Amp and Mooer Radar IR box to turn my FX8 into a poor man's AX8 for gigs and rehearsals where taking an amp would be impractical. I have used the Mooer/Hotone combo for a gig where the power supplied by the venue was causing some pretty major hum in my amp.

So I have two questions... If I understand it, the FM3 is limited in the number of blocks available. My question is, will my Fx8 presets transfer? I usually pull them down from the web and then modify them for my rig anyway, so building new ones is not out of the question, I just would love to have an easy way of making sure both units have a core set of presets that are very similar to what my gigging presets are.

My second question is would the FM3 ever be able to replace my Fx8 in the 4cm? Looks like there are enough inputs and outputs to handle it, it would all come down to how those inputs/outputs can be routed. I use a function on the Fx8 that I know can't be replicated (relay switching to control my amp).

Thanks in advance!

Mike

So I have two questions... If I understand it, the FM3 is limited in the number of blocks available. My question is, will my Fx8 presets transfer? I usually pull them down from the web and then modify them for my rig anyway, so building new ones is not out of the question, I just would love to have an easy way of making sure both units have a core set of presets that are very similar to what my gigging presets are.
I don't think presets can be converted from the FX8, anyway check the utility called Fractool, it might be able to at least convert the blocks.

My second question is would the FM3 ever be able to replace my Fx8 in the 4cm? Looks like there are enough inputs and outputs to handle it, it would all come down to how those inputs/outputs can be routed.
4cm is surely possible with the fm3, you just need an XLR-to-1/4 cable or adaptor to be able to use out1.
Anyway, given the excellent amp modeling in the FM3, I'd try at least to run preamp models straight in your amp's fx return.

I use a function on the Fx8 that I know can't be replicated (relay switching to control my amp).
Amp gizmo (or similar)

Good points, thanks.. I do use factool to get quite a few presets setup on my Fx8. I have used RJM products in the past, I am not 100% sure I would use the relays for switching but it would be a nice to have.

I don't think presets can be converted from the FX8, anyway check the utility called Fractool, it might be able to at least convert the blocks.

4cm is surely possible with the fm3, you just need an XLR-to-1/4 cable or adaptor to be able to use out1.
Anyway, given the excellent amp modeling in the FM3, I'd try at least to run preamp models straight in your amp's fx return.

Amp gizmo (or similar)

I've decided to augment my current rig with a grab and go box. The FM3 is my choice. I know I am probably a long way away from getting mine. I just got on the list a few weeks ago.

Currently I run a Mesa Mark 5:25 with a FX8 using the 4cm. This rig is stellar. It's pretty much a grab and go rig, but to further it's portability and a backup rig, I run a Hotone Binary Amp and Mooer Radar IR box to turn my FX8 into a poor man's AX8 for gigs and rehearsals where taking an amp would be impractical. I have used the Mooer/Hotone combo for a gig where the power supplied by the venue was causing some pretty major hum in my amp.

My second question is would the FM3 ever be able to replace my Fx8 in the 4cm? Looks like there are enough inputs and outputs to handle it, it would all come down to how those inputs/outputs can be routed. I use a function on the Fx8 that I know can't be replicated (relay switching to control my amp).

Thanks in advance!

Mike
I’m to lazy to type new message right now, so here’s what I wrote on one other tread. It’s my point of view on the relay switches and FX8 vs AX8.

I’m using my ax8 with Mesa dual rec. Think about this. With the relay, like on FX8 you have to run all cables from the floor into to the amp, right? More gear to carry. Good cables are expensive. And there is one per change/channel. In my case, 4 of them. 3 channels plus solo function for the boost.
Well for the price of that, I got the voodoo lab midi switcher. I Velcrod it to the back of the amp head. All 4 cables are short, patch size cables. And it stays there connected all the time. And just one midi cable goes from the unit to the head. (Not counting the other 4 for the 4cm). If I haven’t done that I would have 8 cables. Also, I have my patches with amp and cab simulations in there. So if there’s a problem with my amp for whatever reason, I can just go direct. Or if it’s a big club with kicking PA and good stage monitoring, I just go direct to the mixing board.”

Back
Top Bottom