I am an idiot

DNW

Power User
For ages, something about my sound has driven me nuts. Whether it was through the Axe direct, or through a cab, or through my newer mini Pedaltrain Jr rig, or whatever. Something in the attack, somewhere up in the higher end. Drove myself crazy trying to dial it out in the amp block, with PEQs and filters, with cab IRs when I'm plugged in direct... plugged my various guitars all with different pickups... BAARRGGHH.

Well... tonight I figured it out. After... I dunno, at least a couple of years. Whenever it was I changed to the damn Ultex Jazz III pick. :mad: I specifically changed to it coz I tried it and liked the brighter attack. Or so I thought. Tonight for whatever reason it occurred to me to try one of the black Jazz IIIs I used to use that I still have a small bag of. First thought... "Naaah." Tried the Ultex again. "Naaah... I'm hearing things." Switched back and forth, back and forth. Ah ha, this Ultex pick is worn pretty bad, I'll grab a brand new one, maybe that's what I'm not liking. As soon as I played with the new one the difference was way clearer. The worn edges of the old one were dulling the sound a little, but with the brand new one the sound difference was obvious. And DUH, I changed to it in the first place coz I heard the difference and thought I liked it. I changed from the pick that I'd used for years and years, that I always thought of as the perfect pick for me. And then it drove me nuts. And it never occurred to me, the one thing I'm always using on any guitar through any amp...

Son of a...

The lesson to be learned: Just give up. This whole guitar thing is just ridiculous. :|

I love Ultex picks. I discovered them about a year ago and I'll never turn back. I love the sharp attack. Maybe a few years from now I'll change my mind like you did, but I doubt it.

DNW , I had the same problem. The Ultex jazz III glides over the strings and feels awesome to use, but that damn chirping! Drove me insane, had to give them up even though i liked the way they played.

I used to think I was going to get rich playing guitar....:lol
:lol

I love Ultex picks. I discovered them about a year ago and I'll never turn back. I love the sharp attack. Maybe a few years from now I'll change my mind like you did, but I doubt it.
I think when I tried it, I just made my mind up a bit too quickly. I heard the extra brightness and thought, "Yeah, who wouldn't want that?!" But yeah, in other ways it has just driven me nuts, and it was pretty much the one part of the chain that I didn't think of.

DNW , I had the same problem. The Ultex jazz III glides over the strings and feels awesome to use, but that damn chirping! Drove me insane, had to give them up even though i liked the way they played.
Yeah, going back to the black Jazz IIIs feels a bit weird now that I'm used to the Ultex, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it again. I'll have to. That sound drove me nuts. :lol And of course I have like, 30 new Ultex picks in a bag, and only 3 of the black Jazz IIIs. :mad:

:lol

I think when I tried it, I just made my mind up a bit too quickly. I heard the extra brightness and thought, "Yeah, who wouldn't want that?!" But yeah, in other ways it has just driven me nuts, and it was pretty much the one part of the chain that I didn't think of.

Yeah, going back to the black Jazz IIIs feels a bit weird now that I'm used to the Ultex, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it again. I'll have to. That sound drove me nuts. :lol And of course I have like, 30 new Ultex picks in a bag, and only 3 of the black Jazz IIIs. :mad:
I think you know where you can send those... Hint: Vegas.

Everything affects everything. Some impacts are more subtle than others but picks play a pretty significant role in the sound.

Back
Top Bottom