I always nuke high treble

Sorenspete

Inspired
Lately I've been nuking high treble in the ideal control section down to like -8.00. Does anyone else do this? I find with my Yamaha HS8's that the stock setting (noon/0.00) has waaaaaay too much high-end even after applying high cuts across the board. Running a lot less high treble always makes the amp model sound a lot more organic, but that's just me.

Lately I've been nuking high treble in the ideal control section down to like -8.00. Does anyone else do this? I find with my Yamaha HS8's that the stock setting (noon/0.00) has waaaaaay too much high-end even after applying high cuts across the board. Running a lot less high treble always makes the amp model sound a lot more organic, but that's just me.
I used to but then started looking at the frequency response of speakers that I use in the cab blocks, so some of my presets have roll-offs because I haven't touched them up, and others are left wide open.

The reason I started doing it differently is because the speakers in the Cab block typically roll off drastically at 5K, so at 8K they're over 20 dB lower. For instance, the EVM12L, which is supposed to have a bit of extended response, is about -23 dB down at 8K…
Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 9.00.06 PM.png
So I see little reason to trim it further. Any higher frequencies added by the post-cab effects are icing on the cake I figure and I want them because they add definition, but they're still going to be very reduced.

I might change my mind about it later and begin rolling off the lows and highs, but I'll only do it in the Cab block.

PS - I send that same signal to FOH, and if they want to roll it off that's ok. I want a certain sound from my FRFR and they have to deal with the house sound.

For recording I like them tame but work on the Mids regarding the mix then adjust accordingly, thanks for the post, good to learn what others are doing..

For recording I like them tame but work on the Mids regarding the mix then adjust accordingly, thanks for the post, good to learn what others are doing..
I think what @psychomanteum7 said was the most salient. My frame of reference is high-gain tones, so less high treble works really well, but for sparkly clean tones the high treble adds some much needed definition.

Back
Top Bottom