I admit it. I am addicted to one IR

Piing

Axe-Master
I have to confess that there are more than 160,000 syx files at my hard disk, from all the known and unknown IR manufacturers. And after having being immersed and emerging countless times from the polydimensional rabbit hole, I must admit that I have addiction to one particular IR.

Sometimes, after spending hours browsing and selecting IR's, I try to tweak the amp, EQ and other effects to make it sound good to my taste. And at the end, I discover that I was trying to get a similar tone to the one that I already had with that old IR

Sometimes, after spending a while playing presets with other IR's, I miss something and I go back to that one.

The abused substance is named VH-MA-WhiteAX97-k-4400-B2c from ValhallIR

It is a Marshall 1960AX 1977 with G12M25 Greenbacks.

That doesn't mean that I don't use and appreciate others. Among my favorites there are some Dr.Bonkers, York Audio, Ownhammer... but I don't know what happens with that one. Perhaps my ear has been shaped to it. Perhaps that was my cab in another life, in a world where I played with real cabs and amps.

What is the IR that you use more often?

CAB Rabbit Hole.png

Last edited:
well, for heavier stuff... I feel much the sm way about gods cab. anything I AB with that cab - the best it can do is sound 'as good'. Certainly the ownhammer stuff is 'cleaner' and perhaps that would mean you could get a bit more dirty with the amp model... but for chuga chuga it really is hard to beat for me.

I appreciate you mentioning because I recently tried valhalla and it's def good stuff... I assume this is that white cab that's all beat up? That one caught my eye because on a site where everything is pretty and clean - really stands out. Will have to snag that one at some point and ab with god's cab.

Don't worry about it, or feel remotely guilty.
I use one IR only, and that's my own, that I shot of my 4x12. It's all I have ever used, because being so familiar with my own cab, it's what I 'expect' to hear, despite trying out lots of others out of curiosity. I never really wanted to go down the IR rabbit-hole anyway, so it's worked out just fine.

For me it was the old OwnHammer Bogner 2x12 cab with Fane speakers.

Then it was a blend of 2 that cab with one of 3 free IRs from @indeloon85.

Then it was one of the Orange G12H30 from cabIR.eu.

Now it's a blend of 2 from ML Legends pack - also a G12H30. One with an SM57 and the other an M160.

That's over the course of 6.5 years... :)

I have to confess that there are more than 160,000 syx files at my hard disk, from all the known and unknown IR manufacturers. And after having being immersed and emerging countless times from the polydimensional rabbit hole, I must admit that I have addiction to one particular IR.

Sometimes, after spending hours browsing and selecting IR's, I try to tweak the amp, EQ and other effects to make it sound good to my taste. And at the end, I discover that I was trying to get a similar tone to the one that I already had with that old IR

Sometimes, after spending a while playing presets with other IR's, I miss something and I go back to that one.

That doesn't mean that I don't use and appreciate others. Among my favorites there are some Dr.Bonkers, York Audio, Ownhammer... but I don't know what happens with that one. Perhaps my ear has been shaped to it. Perhaps that was my cab in another life, in a world where I played with real cabs and amps.

View attachment 58532
Oh, I think you would like the V2-Green69 a lot. Also 25 Watt Greenbacks, but Pre
Rola and , of course, again with sE4400 shots and some new mikes. :)

Last edited:
Oh, I think you would like the V2-Green69 a lot. Also 25 Watt Greenbacks, but Pre
Rola and , of course, again with sE4400 shots and some new mikes. :)

Greens? I was already playing with the V2-Oranges. I am going to check the greens right now.

Here is an interesting combination of the VH-MA-WhiteAX97-k-4400 with the Oranges. I am using it for a tone similar to Blackmore's "WastedSunsets" solo
00_CabMix_01.png

I also attach the preset. I'm playing a Strat with Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot bridge pickup

(note: use only Scene 1. The other scenes have an external SD 805 overdrive)

@funkstation777 do you have some preset with the greens?

Attachments

• Wasted Sunsets 2019_09_25.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 34
I admit, I do tend to go mostly with an IR from the York Audio Bi-polar cab pack. It’s a mix of 3 producer mix IR’s. Lately though I have been trying to break my addiction with it via the Mikko plugin lol.

Greens? I was already playing with the V2-Oranges. I am going to check the greens right now.

Here is an interesting combination of the VH-MA-WhiteAX97-k-4400 with the Oranges. I am using it for a tone similar to Blackmore's "WastedSunsets" solo
View attachment 58561

I also attach the preset. I'm playing a Strat with Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot bridge pickup

(note: use only Scene 1. The other scenes have an external SD 805 overdrive)

@funkstation777 do you have some preset with the greens?

We don't create presets, but Marco Fanton from Italy, who is our main "test-pilot" for new cab packs, has some very tasty presets for the AxeIII .

I have to say one of my all time favorite IR’s is the 1x12 Carol-Ann 160C with the Sugar Cone Speaker. It originally came from the OBOT Cab Pack but it’s in with all our stock IR’s now in the III.

Mine is Ownhammer Marshall L-BB from the first Studio collection. The L-BB is an amazing sounding speaker and not found anywhere! I need more IR's of that!

Mines are all Ownhammer... and my fav' are the Zilla 4x12, Recto 4x12 and Friedman 4x12, all with Celestion V30's (70watts ones)

View attachment 58532

@Piing Appreciate hearing about your fav, but I can't seem to locate this (or from which pack this originates) on ValhallIR's site @Valhalla . The only "White" cab that my tired eyes saw was one identified as loaded with V30's, the NL W-ORG 4x12. I copied your listed fav and used that for a search on their site, but it didn't come up with any hits. Any possibility you or others might point me in the correct direction, if the one you favor hasn't been removed? Maybe I better get me a coffee stat! lol

Cheers all.
Lee

@Piing Appreciate hearing about your fav, but I can't seem to locate this (or from which pack this originates) on ValhallIR's site @Valhalla . The only "White" cab that my tired eyes saw was one identified as loaded with V30's, the NL W-ORG 4x12. I copied your listed fav and used that for a search on their site, but it didn't come up with any hits. Any possibility you or others might point me in the correct direction, if the one you favor hasn't been removed? Maybe I better get me a coffee stat! lol

Cheers all.
Lee
https://valhallir.at/en/shop/whiteax97/

I think, Piiing meant this one. It's a pretty nice one, but our V2-Green69 is IMHO our very best (Pre-Rola) Greenback loaded cab.

Cheers,
Andy from Valhallir.at

Last edited:
I'm currently hooked on the combination of the stock cabs below, because the resulting sound resembles my Port City 2x12 cabinet closely:
  • (factory 2 #165) 2x12 Zilla Cream H 57 1 ML
  • (legacy #166) 4x12 Rumble L 121 A

I have 26 GB of impulses on my computer. So many that it won't even give me a count of the files. Confessed junkie.

When I got the Axe 3 I played around a bit and loaded a few of my favorites up, but I like the cab mixer so much that I dropped down to using two factory cabs:

4x12 MR82 G12C 57 OH
4x12 MR82 G12C 121 OH

I mixed those and set my high/low cuts, linked it to the Global 1 block, and I'm DONE. I use it for everything. Clean, dirty, Fender, Vox, Mesa, whatever. It's my sound now and if I want to change it up I will use different amps or EQ.

So just now while writing this post, I deleted a bunch of my extra impulse folders and backups and zip files and what not to trim it down to 4GB. I emptied my trash for the first time in forever just now and deleted...435,000 files and 40+ GB of space on my computer. :oops:

Out of the rabbit hole!

A recording with the Friedman HBE and the VH-MA-WhiteAX97-k-4400-B2c with a little mix of Factory1 1x12 Carol Ann 121 D (at -14 dB, just to give a little push to the mids)

View attachment 58532
I have loads of IRs too. But I have been addicted to one in particular for a while
now - ML USA TRAD from ml sound labs Greatest Hits collection. I use it exclusively for any Mesa presets. I will sometimes go through loads of cabs mix up a new combination but find myself back at the beginning with the USA TRAD in the end lol. So much time can be sunk climbing up and down the IR rabbit hole.

All the cabs from the Greatest Hits pack sound amazing - I find I don’t need to search for long nor be overwhelmed with choice there.

That said, the III has so many cabs now that I don’t think one would really “need” to buy any more IR packs to get whatever tone they are after.

Back
Top Bottom