I’m new! Tips for running with a cab?

JammieDodger

Inspired
Hey all. I’m kind of new, well to this area of the forum anyway.

I previously had a FM3 but that was a little while ago, and now I’ve upgraded to the Axe 3!

I run my modellers primarily into a power amp and cab. I really only go FOH to run into monitors for us. Most of the places we play are pubs that don’t really need FOH.

With the FM3 I just had to turn off power amp modelling, change input 1 to 2 (or the other way round) and that was more or less it.

Can anyone kindly inform me if there’s anything I need to do to make sure I’m doing this right? Any hidden settings?

Thank you. :)

I use both FOH and amp/cab at the same time.
all my presets are configured such that Output 2 (amp/cab) is located before the cab block and output 1 (FOH and monitors).
This way I can treat the amp/cab as a kind of personal monitor for me and the band and choose how much of it I need volume wise.
for output 1 I use a cab IR I shot of my own cab, plus I blend in a little bit of Leon Todd’s 4x12 IR too.
for me, this arrangement provides total control over what’s going to FOH and what’s going to the stage, which comes in even more handy in small venues like pubs.

I turn the speaker compression and time constant-thingy down all the way when running a cab. They otherwise seem to make the thing sound muffled.

Tip #1: lift with your legs and not your back, wear a lifting belt for extra precaution
Tip #2: yell "musician coming through!" so you don't trip over anything or anyone
Tip #3: get to your gig earlier so you don't have to run.

Seriously though: I run similarly to craiguitar with both a FOH IR signal and amp+cab on stage (unmic'd). Most presets switch the power amp setting to "SS+Cab" instead of "FRFR" for a little extra punch and dynamics. All of my presets have a parametric EQ right before each of the outputs so I can fine tune the two different outputs relative to each other. I also tend to avoid speaker drive and use minimal speaker compression. I'd rather have the IR signal more dynamic and potentially compressed by FOH rather than an overly compressed cab tone.

I could literally write a book on this. Been with Fractal since 2012.

If you axe into the cab, it's just as useful as FOH and to me well worth the work. The tools are there to do it.

The wiki will give you the basics then I suggest looking up Leon Todd's videos for some great tips.

A good power amp is fairly key. The sum of parts make up the whole and your major chain components will weigh heavily in your tone.

...this arrangement provides total control over what’s going to FOH and what’s going to the stage, which comes in even more handy in small venues like pubs.
Our band plays primarily small pubs and such, and I don't use any cab at all on stage. My output 1 goes to FOH, and then I get my stage volume (as well as the rest of the FOH mix) from a powered wedge in front of me that's fed from an Aux send on the mixer.

Our band plays primarily small pubs and such, and I don't use any cab at all on stage. My output 1 goes to FOH, and then I get my stage volume (as well as the rest of the FOH mix) from a powered wedge in front of me that's fed from an Aux send on the mixer.
Yes, I have that option too, which is nice in certain venues, but overall I prefer to have a traditional cab behind me, even though it‘s never turned up that loud.

Back
Top Bottom