Hurt myself and can’t play guitar.

skolacki

Fractal Fanatic
I broke a collar bone a long time ago. Off road dirt bike collision with my son. Lol. Did a bad job of crashing. Son was fine though. Couldn’t play for awhile, but at the time I wasn’t playing as much as I do now. So last night I slipped on some stairs at work, and my arm stopped me but the left shoulder took a hard jolt. Might have torn something, don’t know yet. So here I am, off work and all fired up with guitar playing. And I can’t play. Life can be hard.

So I started watching isolated guitar tracks on the tube since I can’t play. That’s awesome stuff! Randy Rhodes, John Sykes, Blackmore, the man Eddie VH. Which led me to his son Wolf playing at the Taylor Hawkins tribute. Daaaang!! He does a great job. One thing I can say about the isolated tracks, you can really hear the guitar amp and cab. And FAS nails it.

That sucks. I've got a long history of injuries that stem from activities when I was younger, and a handful of motorcycle wrecks as well. My left wrist will never be the same after I injured it climbing. Sometimes I'll get a flare up, and it'll be months before I can play again. Luckily I work a desk job, and can work through most of my problems, but the recreational stuff that keeps me sane suffers. I hope you heal up quick.

Sorry to hear about your injury. I am curious if there any chance you can hold a slide or a bar? I damaged my fingertips a while back and worked on some lap steel until they were healed.

Thanks guys. Yes I’ve played slide but not too much lately. I damaged my left index and thumb too. I have an unorthodox playing style as a result since I lost part of my index and it doesn’t bend too good. I had taken up slide prior to that injury. So that’s all I did for awhile. And then decided to learn to play with my hand as is. Having the most fun playing of my life lately and I’ll give FAS credit for that. This shoulder thing will heal. Mostly bored and posting is all. Cheers!

So I started watching isolated guitar tracks on the tube since I can’t play.
Hey, thanks for this tip! I never thought of searching the tube for "isolated guitar tracks"... do you have a favorite channel?

Edit: and of course, hope you get well soon!

Last edited:
So I started watching isolated guitar tracks on the tube since I can’t play. That’s awesome stuff! Randy Rhodes, John Sykes, Blackmore, the man Eddie VH. Which led me to his son Wolf playing at the Taylor Hawkins tribute. Daaaang!! He does a great job. One thing I can say about the isolated tracks, you can really hear the guitar amp and cab. And FAS nails it.
Can you say a bit more about these? Links or specific keywords to search for? A plain google search returns way too much useless crap.

And my best wishes for a prompt and complete recovery. Injuries really suck, especially when repeated.

I can empathize. Two years ago I high-sided my buddy's DR-Z (first time on a motorcycle) and broke my toe... it put an end to my 9-month-old jogging habit and I still haven't resumed it. More recently I sprained both of my ankles and haven't been able to work out so I'm just now getting back into it.

I've also eaten it a few more times since on my own dual sport and am starting to wonder if the concussions and bar end-sized bruises on my torso are worth it. At this rate it's only a matter of time before I seriously break something and I'd prefer to not be out of commission for months on end. I'm considering getting professional off-road riding lessons and downgrading to a 100cc trail bike to lessen my chances of grievously injuring myself :p

Can you say a bit more about these? Links or specific keywords to search for? A plain google search returns way too much useless crap.

And my best wishes for a prompt and complete recovery. Injuries really suck, especially when repeated.

Just search YouTube for isolated guitar tracks. You’ll see them.

I can empathize. Two years ago I high-sided my buddy's DR-Z (first time on a motorcycle) and broke my toe... it put an end to my 9-month-old jogging habit and I still haven't resumed it. More recently I sprained both of my ankles and haven't been able to work out so I'm just now getting back into it.

I've also eaten it a few more times since on my own dual sport and am starting to wonder if the concussions and bar end-sized bruises on my torso are worth it. At this rate it's only a matter of time before I seriously break something and I'd prefer to not be out of commission for months on end. I'm considering getting professional off-road riding lessons and downgrading to a 100cc trail bike to lessen my chances of grievously injuring myself :p

I actually decided to go dual sport a while back to "slow myself down" on the street. Next thing you know though, my DRZ got swapped for a KTM 500EXC, and then super moto wheels I could swap on, and I broke my other scapula (so I have a matching set). I think I just like to go fast, and it's hard for me to get away from.

I have had a good time on other people's XR100s over the years, but at 6'5" I look like a monkey humping a coconut.

In the future, take out your son’s back wheel instead of the front one and try to come at him from the side instead of head-on!

I was riding with my uncle when he broke his collar bone, first day the guy got his bike and first time he had been on the trails with me. I saw him at the top of a hill, saw him pause and look down then back up and knew exactly what he was going to do, he was backing up to get speed to come down the hill even faster. His tires weren’t fully inflated so when he came hauling ass down the hill, he hit a bump that picked the bike up just a couple inches and it was like his front and back tire were working together to launch him in the air as high as he could go because when the bike came back down the front tire hit first and pushed straight up, causing the back tire to hit the same rock and he was essentially catapulted into the air, came right down on his shoulder and it sounded like he smashed a soda bottle open POP!

His left side, too, he couldn’t do anything but pick notes for a couple months.

Good luck with that, man! And remember, go for the back tire!

Mate that's horrible... Hopefully it'll be a bit less painful every day, and you can get back to it soon.
Pauly

I broke a collar bone a long time ago. Off road dirt bike collision with my son. Lol. Did a bad job of crashing. Son was fine though. Couldn’t play for awhile, but at the time I wasn’t playing as much as I do now. So last night I slipped on some stairs at work, and my arm stopped me but the left shoulder took a hard jolt. Might have torn something, don’t know yet. So here I am, off work and all fired up with guitar playing. And I can’t play. Life can be hard.

Good luck with that, man! And remember, go for the back tire!

Haha! I did hit my sons back tire when I busted my collar bone. He dropped down the trail to the right following the other guys we were riding with. He was going slower than I thought, so when I blazed down around the corner, there he was. No where to go except to hit him. The other guys loaded the bikes up for me but it sucked shifting gears on the way to the hospital.

In some ways, breaking the collarbone is really the best thing. At least the bone can heal. I took a really good collarbone hit on my left side, but instead of breaking, one end of it ripped out of the cartilage on one side. It can't really go back into anything, so that end sort of floats around. I can promise you that I wish it had broken.

The stories in this thread have me reconsidering off-road riding entirely. I don't heal nearly as well as a 31-year-old as I did a decade ago and it's only going to get worse with age.

My point exactly! If it takes this long for my tendons and such to reassert themselves at my age then I'm not ready for what's ahead...

You have no idea lol. Keep riding man, you can last a few more years. I didn’t give it up until my early 50’s. My problem was the same as @stagthorpe, I couldn’t handle just putting around I had to go fast.

Back
Top Bottom