Humidifier for (acoustic) guitar room?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Greetings all,

My acoustic guitars are screaming in agony in the dry winter climate (Canada). I ordered a small cool-mist thingy from Amazon, and it's more of a placebo, with no measurable increase in ambiant humidity. Looking through other Amazon offerings, I am appalled at the enormity on offer, most of them with "great reviews" (most likely purchased, I no longer trust amazon reviews). So as always in a case like this, I thought I'd check with the people I trust most: this community. I don't want a huge piece of furniture (my studio is very very compact), so small(ish) is desirable.

Input? Thanks!

I live in Colorado at the base of the Rockies - really dry here, too.

I tried a couple of room humidifiers, but they only brought the humidity up to rhe low 30s. In-guitar humidifiers only helped a little.

A couple of months ago, I put three Boveda packs in each guitar case and keep all my acoustic packed-up. Finally, the guitars are at around 50% humidity.

You can rehydrate the Boveda's. They actually put out a video explaining why you shouldn't do that but yes you can. I also have a Honeywell HCM350, which is a mixed bag. Sometimes it will get into the high 40's. I keep trying aftermarket wicks but none of them last very long. I keep a spare bedroom humidified, living in the high desert, very dry. Lots of guys here don't bother except for acoustics. My son's Tele sprouted the frets off the fretboard edges until he went with the Boveda's.

I live in the Great White North and am appalled at my guitar owning friend's who don't have
home humidifiers. WTF???!!

I know you don't want another piece of furniture, but you really need one. :)

My experience with acoustics and electrics is that 30-40% can keep you out of the danger zone
of dry air. It's when you don't have home humidifier and it gets down to the teens and 20s
you are both potentially damaging yourself, and your guitars. Meaning, maintaining higher humidity
levels in the winter months is good for you and your guitars. :)

We have a whole house humidifier and I also have a separate humidifier in my home studio and keep it between 40-45% in the dead of winter. Helps that my company owns a humidifier brand so I always have a new one. :)

We live in Canada on the prairies. We bought an Aircare humidifier which looks like a piece of furniture. It holds about 3 gallons of water. Works great but replacing filters is a little pricey

I use a Venta and it keeps my office at 30%. My criteria were near silent and had to be leak resistant.

Despite the name it does not do any sort of air purification. Strictly a humidifier.

Venta LW25 Original Airwasher in... Amazon product ASIN B001PH9ESG

Back
Top Bottom