Humbuster vs. XLR to 1/4 inch

Tommy Tempest

Power User
I have some xlt to 1/4 inch TS short patch cables, that are wired the same as a Humbuster cable.
Would they have the same affect as using Humbuster cables, by going balanced to unbalanced?

No.

If you are having ground loop noise from a 1/4" input, the cables you have will do nothing useful. The humbuster outputs are special 1/4"--just grounding one side of an XLR out doesn't accomplish the same thing.

Danny W.

I have some xlt to 1/4 inch TS short patch cables, that are wired the same as a Humbuster cable.
Would they have the same affect as using Humbuster cables, by going balanced to unbalanced?
Humbuster is a Fractal Audio creation. it's not just that it's 3 pins to 2 pins. the 1/4" outputs are the humbuster part because they are solving the problem of 1/4" connections causing hum.

XLR to XLR connections already solve this by design of the cable and jacks.

Humbuster is a Fractal Audio creation. it's not just that it's 3 pins to 2 pins. the 1/4" outputs are the humbuster part because they are solving the problem of 1/4" connections causing hum.

Thanks I know XLR to XLR does the trick. But looking at the schematic, it appears the XLR out is connected to the humbuster designated 1/4 inch out jack.
So I was asking this question since the wiring on the cable is exact TRS to TS. However , if there is special circuitry attached to the Hunbuster jack, I can see why it would not work. But I don't have any hum at all, so it's probably a moot point.

You have an AxeFX III schematic?!
My first out of warranty AXE FX III had an output jack issue. And since I cannot afford to be without it, my tech traced out the motherboard, and created, what he called, a simple board schem. There is no provided schematic that I know of, as we both searched everywhere for one.
But back to the OP, it's probably not worth switching my cables, as my AXE FX III is dead silent with no unwanted noise.

No.

If you are having ground loop noise from a 1/4" input, the cables you have will do nothing useful. The humbuster outputs are special 1/4"--just grounding one side of an XLR out doesn't accomplish the same thing.

Danny W.
Hi Danny-- Axe FX 3 manual shows the wiring diagram of humbuster cable that they say anyone can make......it would appear that they are doing the same thing as a XLR to 1/4 inch........the diagram does not show anything "special". It looks like they are just grounding the Ring wire to 1/4" ground. What is the special configuration of the humbuster cable? Appreciate your explanation. I'm trying to figure out how to connect my soon to be purchased AX FX 3 to Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 flat response stereo amp that only has 1/4 instrument level inputs. Should I use XLR to 1/4 inch cable in Axe FX 3 XLR Output 1 or should I use 1/4 inch Humbuster Output 1?

Attachments

• AF3_SD Powerstage 700_Humbuster Cables.JPG
    AF3_SD Powerstage 700_Humbuster Cables.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 14
Hi Danny-- Axe FX 3 manual shows the wiring diagram of humbuster cable that they say anyone can make......it would appear that they are doing the same thing as a XLR to 1/4 inch........the diagram does not show anything "special". It looks like they are just grounding the Ring wire to 1/4" ground. What is the special configuration of the humbuster cable? Appreciate your explanation. I'm trying to figure out how to connect my soon to be purchased AX FX 3 to Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 flat response stereo amp that only has 1/4 instrument level inputs. Should I use XLR to 1/4 inch cable in Axe FX 3 XLR Output 1 or should I use 1/4 inch Humbuster Output 1?
the main purpose of the Humbuster cable is to allow connection to guitar amps from 1/4" outputs on the Axe side. generally the XLR outputs are "used up" to go to a mixer or something, so the remaining 1/4" outputs have Humbuster tech to allow for less noisy connections.

Axe FX 3 manual shows the wiring diagram of humbuster cable that they say anyone can make......it would appear that they are doing the same thing as a XLR to 1/4 inch........the diagram does not show anything "special". It looks like they are just grounding the Ring wire to 1/4" ground. What is the special configuration of the humbuster cable? Appreciate your explanation.
I'm trying to figure out how to connect my soon to be purchased AX FX 3 to Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 flat response stereo amp that only has 1/4 instrument level inputs. Should I use XLR to 1/4 inch cable in Axe FX 3 XLR Output 1 or should I use 1/4 inch Humbuster Output 1? I attached a pic the equipment connector diagram. Appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• AF3_SD Powerstage 700_Humbuster Cables.JPG
    AF3_SD Powerstage 700_Humbuster Cables.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 4
Axe FX 3 manual shows the wiring diagram of humbuster cable that they say anyone can make......it would appear that they are doing the same thing as a XLR to 1/4 inch........the diagram does not show anything "special". It looks like they are just grounding the Ring wire to 1/4" ground. What is the special configuration of the humbuster cable? Appreciate your explanation.
I'm trying to figure out how to connect my soon to be purchased AX FX 3 to Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 flat response stereo amp that only has 1/4 instrument level inputs. Should I use XLR to 1/4 inch cable in Axe FX 3 XLR Output 1 or should I use 1/4 inch Humbuster Output 1? I attached a pic the equipment connector diagram. Appreciate your advice.
the special part is in the Axe-fx side.

the answer you quoted was to explain that a Humbuster cable doesn't work plugged in just anywhere. it's not really the cable doing the Humbusting part, but how the Axe output jack is designed to take advantage of that cable design.

deciding which to use, i'd just try whichever you have first and see how it works out. if you don't have either one yet, Humbuster and the 1/4" out is designed for your application.

the main purpose of the Humbuster cable is to allow connection to guitar amps from 1/4" outputs on the Axe side. generally the XLR outputs are "used up" to go to a mixer or something, so the remaining 1/4" outputs have Humbuster tech to allow for less noisy connections.
Thank you for your reply Chris-- i so much appreciate your explanations--thank you, thank you, thank you---just a couple questions below if you could advise--

1. So I think you are recommending that I use Humbuster Output 1 and purchase 2 Fractal Audio Humbuster cables (Left & Right for Stereo setup to go into the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 amp inputs and not use XLR to 1/4 inch?

2. Am I understanding correctly that the Humbuster technology is not so much in the humbuster cable itslef but it is special circuitry in the humbuster jack inside the AXE FX 3?

Thank you for your reply Chris-- i so much appreciate your explanations--thank you, thank you, thank you---just a couple questions below if you could advise--

1. So I think you are recommending that I use Humbuster Output 1 and purchase 2 Fractal Audio Humbuster cables (Left & Right for Stereo setup to go into the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 amp inputs and not use XLR to 1/4 inch?

2. Am I understanding correctly that the Humbuster technology is not so much in the humbuster cable itslef but it is special circuitry in the humbuster jack inside the AXE FX 3?
i think we were typing at the same time, answered most of this just above.

i think we were typing at the same time, answered most of this just above.
Ok I'm going to purchase 2 humbuster cables to plug into Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 amp. I asked Seymour Duncan yesterday what cables they recommended to plug into AXE FX 3 with their Powerstage 700 amp and they are researching and getting back to me----I will forward them the great information you supplied and they will make a memo of this configuration to become a record in their tech support files---- you have done great service of help for me and future users in Seymour Duncan tech inquiries--- thank you, thank you, thank you.

Just FYI, you don't "need" Humbuster cables... Unless you do ;)

I ran my Axe Fx II and III into my Matrix power amp from 2014 until earlier this year with George Ls instrument cables (TS) and had zero noise issues.

I think from the Axe Fx to a power amp you're less likely to have noise as when running into the front of a guitar amp.

Since you probably have some 1/4" patch cables handy, try it out.

Best case is that they work great and you save $50+ on cables... Worst case, you discover you need the Humbuster cables.

Just FYI, you don't "need" Humbuster cables... Unless you do ;)

I ran my Axe Fx II and III into my Matrix power amp from 2014 until earlier this year with George Ls instrument cables (TS) and had zero noise issues.

I think from the Axe Fx to a power amp you're less likely to have noise as when running into the front of a guitar amp.

Since you probably have some 1/4" patch cables handy, try it out.

Best case is that they work great and you save $50+ on cables... Worst case, you discover you need the Humbuster cables.
so did you use Axe FX 3 Output 3 and 4 (for stereo) using regular TS instrument cables going to your Matrix power amp? I suppose you had to remap all your presets to Output 3/4

so did you use Axe FX 3 Output 3 and 4 (for stereo) using regular TS instrument cables going to your Matrix power amp? I suppose you had to remap all your presets to Output 3/4
I ran Output 1 1/4" to the Matrix and Output 2 XLRs to our IEM mixer.

I typically only use my own presets, so the routing is handled when I create them.

Now I run Output 1 XLRs to powered FRFR monitors.

Output 1 has both XLR and 1/4" jacks.

Hi Danny-- Axe FX 3 manual shows the wiring diagram of humbuster cable that they say anyone can make......it would appear that they are doing the same thing as a XLR to 1/4 inch........the diagram does not show anything "special". It looks like they are just grounding the Ring wire to 1/4" ground. What is the special configuration of the humbuster cable?
No, it's not the same as an XLR-to-1/4-inch cable. The "special" part is that it's a 3-conductor cable, and (as you noted) the ring is only grounded at the opposite end of the cable. This is necessary to allow the Humbuster circuitry in the Axe-Fx's 1/4-inch outputs to measure the hum that is present, so it can compensate for it.

I agree with @unix-guy. You don't really need the Humbuster cables. I've been using a good quality 1/4" cable going from output 1 l/r to Matrix GT1000 amp and XLR to FOH for years with no issues. I recently switched to xlr cables. You may want to check your hz setting to make sure you're on 60hz for U.S, because if set to 50 it could cause some noise.

I ran Output 1 1/4" to the Matrix and Output 2 XLRs to our IEM mixer.

I typically only use my own presets, so the routing is handled when I create them.

Now I run Output 1 XLRs to powered FRFR monitors.

Output 1 has both XLR and 1/4" jacks.
Thank you so much for your explanations and advice. It appears that most users (like you) are/were using regular TS quarter inch cables in Output 1 (1/4 inch) that is marked Humbuster on AXE FX 3 when going to guitar amps or power amps. It appears that very few if any that I can find have noise issues so buying Humbuster cables from FAS would be wasting money as you indicated.

Since you've already been answered I don't have to tell you that no, the humbuster cable is not an XLR to 1/4" adapter. First, it's not XLR, it's 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS. Second, the part that makes it unique is that the short between ring and sleeve must happen only at the input of the device to which the Axe is connected. A TRS to TS cable usually has just a two-wire cable. If you have TRS to TRS cables that don't have molded connectors you can easily make your own by opening the plug at one end and wrapping a fine wire around the RS lugs. Probably don't even have to solder it. I did this myself when my AXE II had a buzz when plugged into the amp I was using at the time with an XLR to 1/4" adapter. The homemade humbusters completely eliminated the noise.

Which brings me to a final point--you don't need humbusters unless you're having ground noise. They have no other advantage over a standard cable.

I know you've already been told this, but since you addressed me specifically I thought I'd answer

Danny W.

Back
Top Bottom