Humbuster to XLR, short and long cable runs - what's the best approach?

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
I plan use Output 2 on II XL+ for vocals, and curious as to how to best approach connecting it to mixers.

Obviously, I can use a DI box, but good ones are expensive, heavy and bulky. Not a showstopper, but still.

For short cable runs during rehearsals, for unbalanced connections I use a specially soldered cable which connects the shield on the mixer end, TS end tip connects to Pin 2 on the mixer XLR jack, sleeve to Pin 3. But that would defeat the Humbuster thing, and I guess it's not a great option for long cable runs from stage to FOH during shows.

For short runs I can also use a Humbuster cable, but again it wouldn't work for long runs at clubs etc.

What would happen if I used a regular TRS-XLR balanced cable? Does it make sense for a Humbuster output?

Are there other options I may be missing?

Thanks!

I plan use Output 2 on II XL+ for vocals, and curious as to how to best approach connecting it to mixers.

Obviously, I can use a DI box, but good ones are expensive, heavy and bulky. Not a showstopper, but still.

For short cable runs during rehearsals, for unbalanced connections I use a specially soldered cable which connects the shield on the mixer end, TS end tip connects to Pin 2 on the mixer XLR jack, sleeve to Pin 3. But that would defeat the Humbuster thing, and I guess it's not a great option for long cable runs from stage to FOH during shows.

For short runs I can also use a Humbuster cable, but again it wouldn't work for long runs at clubs etc.

What would happen if I used a regular TRS-XLR balanced cable? Does it make sense for a Humbuster output?

Are there other options I may be missing?

Thanks!
The humbuster concept was designed for the 4cm and more or less requires a TS input jack to work. It won't work with a balanced input.

But you shouldn't worry about that. The Axe outputs are Line-level, so you don't have noise-issues even when going fully unbalanced.
Just run an ordinary TS instrument cable directly into the stagebox/mixer.

EDIT: Well, obviously, that is if you amplify the MIC signal to line level inside the Axe. But that's the whole point of routing it through the Axe, right? Otherwise you'd just unbalance a perfectly balanced Mic signal for nothing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I certainly will amplify the signal to line level.

As for the not worrying part, I probably didn't explain the problem well enough. Connecting Output 2 to FOH with a TS cable is not an option in many cases. I can't run by own 100m cables in clubs, and they offer either snakes with XLR or DI boxes of dubious quality. The former is obviously preferable to use, so I pretty much have to convert the output to balanced XLR.

At rehearsals it's certainly not a problem as a control everything that goes to the mixer.

Back
Top Bottom