Humbuster question

Jemlite

I'm building a patch bay in my rack and wondered: If I ran humbuster out of my AXFX3 only to the panel, (and then later just plugged regular TS/TS from there to my FRFR) would I still get the benefits?

In other words which should I do:
  • out from Axe TRS to TS on panel?
  • or out of Axe TRS to TRS on panel, then run humbuster TRS/TS to FRFR?

Doing it that way only extends the ring conductor to the panel. I would think you'd get a better noise "signal" by running it all the way to the FRFR cab using the second option specified in the OP. Considering the panel is in the rack with the Axe III, I'd wager that more of your environmental EMI noise would be encountered by the longer cable run from the panel out to the FRFR cab.

Doing it that way only extends the ring conductor to the panel. I would think you'd get a better noise "signal" by running it all the way to the FRFR cab using the second option specified in the OP. Considering the panel is in the rack with the Axe III, I'd wager that more of your environmental EMI noise would be
That won’t work if a humbuster cable is used between the Axe-Fx and panel. They aren’t wired symmetrically at each end.

See:
1620188781563.png
You’d need to make your own humbuster “extension” cable to use to the panel. And then a special TRS-TS connection from the panel jack to the amp.

No you'd use a regular TRS to TRS cable between the Axe III and the panel and then a normal Humbuster cable between the Panel and the FRFR cab. That would give you all three conductors all the way out the the FRFR cab input where the ring and sleeve conductors are shorted together.

Like the OP said above:
  • or out of Axe TRS to TRS on panel, then run humbuster TRS/TS to FRFR?

No you'd use a regular TRS to TRS cable between the Axe III and the panel and then a normal Humbuster cable between the Panel and the FRFR cab. That would give you all three conductors all the way out the the FRFR cab input where the ring and sleeve conductors are shorted together.
That’s what I said. But that’s not what OP asked.

I really appreciate the help but after looking at this again and thinking about what mr_fender added I'm kinda confused.
I understand that Humbuster is TRS out of AX3 to a double grounded TS, and I can wire it up either way no problem, I just want to do what is best:

• So if I go Humbuster out of AX3 "only" to the patch panel (TRS/TS), and then would be plugging a regular TS/TS from there out to speaker; I will or won't get the benefits?
  • Or, as mr_fender said; I should run TRS to TRS out of AX3 to the panel and "then" be using a humbuster cable all the way out to speaker its better?

So if I go Humbuster out of AX3 "only" to the patch panel (TRS/TS), and then would be plugging a regular TS/TS from there out to speaker; I will or won't get the benefits?
You will get the benefits. The cable between the patch panel and amp may introduce noise, but it should still be detected on the humbuster line and rejected.

Or, as mr_fender said; I should run TRS to TRS out of AX3 to the panel and "then" be using a humbuster cable all the way out to speaker its better?
You can also do this. It removes the run of cable from the panel to the amp as being a source of noise as this run will now be a humbuster cable. If you do this you need:

• Remember to use a plain, old TRS-TRS cable between your AFIII and the panel.
  • Solder the panel TRS jack using the diagram I included above so that TRS jack and the TR plug end look like a humbuster cable.

Back
Top Bottom