Humbuster outs

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
I don't know if this has been already answered, I haven't found it with a search. Is it possible to use the humbuster out as a balanced out using a trs-to-xlr cable? Would it really be a balanced connection or is it better to use a di box for this purpose?
Thanks in advance!

Thanks! So it isn't safe or i will have no advanteges in using a trs-xlr cable anyway?

No, Humbuster cables must be connected to an unbalanced input in order to properly cancel out cable interference, hence the unbalanced TS connector at the far end of the cable. If you want to use balanced inputs with the Axe's 1/4" outputs, you'd have to use a DI box. Otherwise, neither device would be doing any noise cancelation and you may as well be using regular mono 1/4" cable.

In humbuster cables, the ring connector is actually used as an input where the Humbuster circuit listens to the cable noise and then subtracts that noise from the output signal going to the tip connector. That ring conductor must be grounded to the sleeve at the far end of the cable for noise cancellation to work properly. If you use a regular balanced cable and connect it to a balanced input, that conductor is no longer grounded but rather connected to another input. I'm not sure if that will case any damage to either device, but it definitely won't be cancelling out any noise.

I'm plugging a Kaosspad at the outputs of the AxeFX through a humbuster cable I did myself. It's a stereo jack TRS to RCA. The outputs of the KaossPad goes to 2 gtr amps. Sometimes the noise canceling works, sometimes not. Maybe I did something wrong ? I tried to do like the picture on p 170 of the manual says, except that it goes to RCA instead of Jack TS. Any idea ?

Did you use balanced cable (2 internal conductors and an outer shield)? TRS plug on one end. The tip conductor should be connected to the center pin of the RCA plug. The ring conductor should be joined to the shield and both connected to the outer sleeve of the RCA plug.

Back
Top Bottom