Humbuster: Is it OK to use TRS-TRS, and just short ring and sleeve on one?

Tone Control

Inspired
Looking at the manual,
the T goes to the T
the R&S are both going to R at the mono end.
Surely a TRS to TRS cable could just be shorted out to do this
Am I missing something?
You see I can buy a decent quality TRS-TRS cable easily, with better soldering than I can manage

My buddy made me mine. He stocks cables and ends. He just took a trs to trs cut one end and put a ts according to the manual. Your idea would also work

and my active guitar would still work ok, the power would come on through the sleeve to ring short

I'll try to find a TRS/TRS cable with different ends

Active guitar? Power via cable? I'm confused.... (doesn't take much to do that) Where and how exactly are you planning to use the humbuster cable you're making?

Active guitar? Power via cable? I'm confused.... (doesn't take much to do that) Where and how exactly are you planning to use the humbuster cable you're making?

when you plugin your guitar lead into your acitve-pickup guitar, the guitar contains a battery, and the power is switched on by the jack shorting the ring and sleeve connections in the socket inside the guitar (Same as battery powered pedals I believe). No power goes via the cable
So I'd plug in my shorted TRS plug into my EMG-equipped strat, and the stock TRS end into the AF2

After a cup of coffee I'd finally worked out that the power you talked of was the active on/off circuitry in the guitar jack (doh) ..... but what input are you using on the Axe? Are you getting ground noise issues when plugging into the front instrument input? Or are you using one of the rear inputs for the guitar?

After a cup of coffee I'd finally worked out that the power you talked of was the active on/off circuitry in the guitar jack (doh) ..... but what input are you using on the Axe? Are you getting ground noise issues when plugging into the front instrument input? Or are you using one of the rear inputs for the guitar?

front input
I haven't done the cable yet though

You don't need a TRS Humbuster for the front input just a normal guitar cable.

It's only the 1/4 " outputs where Humbusters can be used.

Last edited:
You don't need a TRS Humbuster for the front input just a normal guitar cable.

It's only the 1/4 " outputs where Humbusters can be used.

ahh I had just assumed it was for the input, given that guitar cables are noisy, and it's the most vulnerable part of the chain - thanks for that
Is there any reason this feature could not be added to the input too?

Glad thats clarified - I know I'm a bit hungover but couldn't work out why a humbuster cable would be needed from guitar to front input. Thought all that ground loop issue stuff went on round the back for 4cm or gear in the FX loop.

I can go back to staring blankly at the TV now :)

Glad thats clarified - I know I'm a bit hungover but couldn't work out why a humbuster cable would be needed from guitar to front input. Thought all that ground loop issue stuff went on round the back for 4cm or gear in the FX loop.

I can go back to staring blankly at the TV now :)

I'm so used to having balanced cables from DI boxes, and have some that AD that accepts TRS balanced line, so I thought the noise cancelling would be most apparent on the cable from the guitar, which will be the cable with lowest signal, and proportionately the most noise. Never mind, I'll try to read the manual more carefully, cheers Tone

ahh I had just assumed it was for the input, given that guitar cables are noisy, and it's the most vulnerable part of the chain - thanks for that
Is there any reason this feature could not be added to the input too?

Yes, there is--it detects noise caused by ground loops. The noise from a guitar is induced by radiation and not detectable by the humbuster technology.

Danny W.

Back
Top Bottom