Humbuster cables and output 1 question

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
I'm using output 1 to feed two different power amps, the XLRs into the L/R ins of a VHT 2/50/2, and the 1/4" outs into a pair of Ethos power amps.

I'd like to put humbuster cables wherever I can. I've seen the cable diagram and the 1/4" outs are easy enough, but I was wondering what pins on the XLR end need to be tied to ground, and if the XLR outputs even support the same use for humbuster cables in the first place?

Don't need humbusters on the output sides on most devices.. just the input.
XLR's are effectively "grounded" - nature of the beast, as are TRS cables - so no need for humbusters in your scenario as it's unlikely you'll ever disconnect those except at setup/teardown - or troubleshooting..

That makes sense with the XLRs, but per the wiki page, "the 1/4" outputs have a ground sense feature..."

I thought they were the whole reason for having humbuster cables in the first place?

That makes sense with the XLRs, but per the wiki page, "the 1/4" outputs have a ground sense feature..."

I thought they were the whole reason for having humbuster cables in the first place?
Right. The ground sense feature on the 1/4" outputs is what makes Humbuster cables work. The XLR is a balanced connection, so there's no pin available for ground sensing, so there is no Humbuster feature on the XLRs.

Humbuster reduces hum caused by ground loops. If you don't have a hum problem, Humbuster cables won't buy you anything. They won't hurt anything, either.

XLR outputs are balanced, so they are already hum cancelling as long as you are connecting them to balanced inputs.

Back
Top Bottom