Humbuster cable users...

plyall

Power User
Folks -

Bad news: they're letting me out of the studio! I am getting ready to start working with a local band, and I don't want to un-cable the rig in the studio, so...

I am thinking about getting some Humbuster cables for running between my Axe-FX II and my two CLR (powered) cabs. I know that Humbusters are frequently recommended for connecting an Axe-FX to an amp, but given my scenario, the humbusters would need to be longer. I'm thinking 20-25 feet per side.

Will a humbuster cable(s) be useful in this situation? Is length of the cable a limiting factor?

Thanks!

I made a humbuster for my AX8 mono rig monitor and it is dead silent running bundled to the power cord. I never tried a regular cord so I don't know if it was necessary but it works.

Active CLR cabs have balanced XLR mic inputs, so you can use the balanced XLR outputs on the Axe. Mic cables are much easier to find and available in lots of different lengths. Humbuster cables work great when connecting to gear that doesn't have balanced inputs, but since the CLR's do, that's probably the best way to go.

i don't think Humbusters are a benefit from the Axe to normal inputs, like powered speakers or mixers. i could be wrong, but i'm 100% silent with all normal instrument cables doing the same thing.

Nope, not necessary at all with my Axe-FX II Mk.II and two active CLR's. Plain-Jane XLR's and you're good to hook and jab.

The point of Humbuster is to allow for noise rejection with devices with regular, non-balanced inputs. It uses TRS connectors on the Axe side and regular TS connectors on the other side. In normal balanced I/O, the noise cancellation is done by the input of the receiving device and the output of the sending device only splits the signal into two 180 degree out of phase copies. With Humbuster, the Axe's output circuit is actually doing the noise cancellation, so a balanced input is not required on the receiving device. In other words, with regular balanced I/O both devices play a role in making the noise reduction work. That's why you need both balanced inputs and balanced outputs for it to work. With Humbuster though, the Axe output does everything so it doesn't matter what you plug it into. You just have to use the right kind of cable. Because the second cable conductor from the TRS ring connector is soldered to the sleeve of the TS connector, you have two long, parallel paths to ground. This creates a sort of semi-ground loop along the cable that Humbuster uses kind of like an antenna for the ambient noise that is affecting the cable. It uses that noise signal to cancel out the same noise that is present on the other conductor carrying the audio signal. It's a really clever design.

Suppose Humbusters are a good idea and cool concept, but I'm using 25 foot Monoprice cables that were quite cheap (supposedly gold connections) and from their "pro" line to my monitors and I have zero issues with noise even with lots of other electronics, computers, keyboards etc nearby

Again, don't think HB's would hurt, but I've had zero issues with noise from the Axe to my monitors and I use the unbalanced output 2's

Maybe just try it normally and then buy (or build) HB's if there is a problem ?

Active CLR cabs have balanced XLR mic inputs, so you can use the balanced XLR outputs on the Axe. Mic cables are much easier to find and available in lots of different lengths. Humbuster cables work great when connecting to gear that doesn't have balanced inputs, but since the CLR's do, that's probably the best way to go.

... acknowledged, BUT the XLR's - at least one of them - needs to go to FOH. Otherwise I agree 100%.

The point of Humbuster is to allow for noise rejection with devices with regular, non-balanced inputs. It uses TRS connectors on the Axe side and regular TS connectors on the other side. In normal balanced I/O, the noise cancellation is done by the input of the receiving device and the output of the sending device only splits the signal into two 180 degree out of phase copies. With Humbuster, the Axe's output circuit is actually doing the noise cancellation, so a balanced input is not required on the receiving device. In other words, with regular balanced I/O both devices play a role in making the noise reduction work. That's why you need both balanced inputs and balanced outputs for it to work. With Humbuster though, the Axe output does everything so it doesn't matter what you plug it into. You just have to use the right kind of cable. Because the second cable conductor from the TRS ring connector is soldered to the sleeve of the TS connector, you have two long, parallel paths to ground. This creates a sort of semi-ground loop along the cable that Humbuster uses kind of like an antenna for the ambient noise that is affecting the cable. It uses that noise signal to cancel out the same noise that is present on the other conductor carrying the audio signal. It's a really clever design.

BTW - thanks for the detailed explanation!

Yeah if you're already using the XLR outputs then Humbuster will be the next best thing for noise rejection. You can try it with regular instrument cables though like lqdsnddist said. If you use quality cables that are well shielded, they should work just fine. Humbuster gives you extra protection against ambient interference, but either way the Axe's outputs are all low impedance and are capable of driving long cable runs just fine.

Back
Top Bottom