Humbuster Cable for Instrument

bshaw92

Experienced
I have a humbuster cable and was getting a little noise when connecting my acoustic to Input 2 with a standard cable. I decided to try the humbuster cable and see what happened. The noise went away...

Is there anything that would be lost doing this since it's a TRS to TS? I have the TS connected to the instrument and TRS to the input 2.

I have a humbuster cable and was getting a little noise when connecting my acoustic to Input 2 with a standard cable. I decided to try the humbuster cable and see what happened. The noise went away...

Is there anything that would be lost doing this since it's a TRS to TS? I have the TS connected to the instrument and TRS to the input 2.
If the noise went away, it’s because your Humbuster cable is better-shielded than your other cable. Humbuster itself won’t do anything to help the guitar-to-Axe-Fx connection.

Last edited:
I have a constant screeching through Axe FX III and also through my tube amp. It's slightly there on clean presets but it's very noticeable for distortion presets. I thought maybe a humbuster cable would fix this problem but then I already have all mogami cables, nothing else. Aren't mogami cables considered the best around or are humbuster cables a totally different type of product? I'm thinking it's a power problem and not a cable problem in my situation.

I have a constant screeching through Axe FX III and also through my tube amp. It's slightly there on clean presets but it's very noticeable for distortion presets.
Unplug your guitar. If the screeching goes away, it's getting in through your guitar.

I thought maybe a humbuster cable would fix this problem...are humbuster cables a totally different type of product?
Yes. Humbuster cables are wired differently (see the AX8 manual). They're intended to reduce ground loop noise, not electromagnetic interference. And they only work with devices whose output jacks have Humbuster circuitry, which your guitar doesn't.

...but then I already have all mogami cables, nothing else. Aren't mogami cables considered the best around...?
Mogami is a brand. They make good cables. The best? That's debatable. But even the best cable won't stop interference that's getting in through your guitar.

Reactions: J.C
I thought maybe a humbuster cable would fix this problem
Humbuster technology and cables are designed by Fractal Audio for Fractal Audio gear. it's not a general type of cable used for audio. the cable isn't too special, it’s the design of the outputs on the gear like the Axe-Fx and AX8 in tandem with the cable design.

you can't just "humbuster" other gear.

Last edited:
Mogami is a brand. They make good cables. The best? That's debatable.

BLASPHEMY!!! BLASPHEMY I SAY!!! :D

Your pickups are microphonic.

What he said. Its very much like when a tube in a tube amp goes microphonic. The only way to fix it is to have the pickups rewound or install new pickups. Guess which one is the better option.

Using Humbuster cable with my Axe FX 3 --> Mesa 2:90 I hear a weezing. Ideas?

Stop listening to Weezer!!! :p Sorry...I know this post was useless but it made ME laugh. ;)

The only way to fix it is to have the pickups rewound or install new pickups. Guess which one is the better option.

Potting a pickup just takes about 20 minutes and doesn't really cost anything

Fixed many a microphonic pickup this way, including vintage guitars, where you don't want to replace that special pickup

Swapping pickups out is a great option though, but not always the best one

Potting a pickup just takes about 20 minutes and doesn't really cost anything

Fixed many a microphonic pickup this way, including vintage guitars, where you don't want to replace that special pickup

Swapping pickups out is a great option though, but not always the best one

Do you use bees wax or ear wax? :D All kidding aside, you're right. I actually had a set of Seymour Duncans rewound once and probably just needed to have them potted.

BLASPHEMY!!! BLASPHEMY I SAY!!! :D

What he said. Its very much like when a tube in a tube amp goes microphonic. The only way to fix it is to have the pickups rewound or install new pickups. Guess which one is the better option.

Stop listening to Weezer!!! :p Sorry...I know this post was useless but it made ME laugh. ;)

No problem! ;):D

Pete Cornish makes an instrument cable that is similar to the humbuster in that is uses 2 conductors plus a shield, but the difference is that only TS terminations are used. The shield is wired to ground at the termination used for the amp input. Not recommending or otherwise endorsing, just noting the similarities. http://www.petecornish.co.uk/hdgtr_bass.html

Back
Top Bottom