Humbuckers AND single coils

Kingfloyd

Inspired
I like to play different guitars, humbuckers and single coils. Presets tweaked for single coils do not sound perfect when used with humbuckers and vice versa. I have different presets to be used with humbuckers and others with single coils. However I would like to be able to use all with both guitars. I was thinking of a block that would be turned on/off to adapt to the guitar actually played, or an x/y type of setting, or ... ? What route would you suggest for this "fits all" tool ? (I did not find threads solving this). Thanks for your input.

Adjust your pickup height. That's all you have to do. I never got all these problems with using humbuckers and singlecoils. I have my humbuckers exactly as loud has my singlecoils, works great.

Last edited:
It's not just a matter of output level. A preset specifically tuned for a humbucker can get too bright with a single coil telecaster etc.

I adjust pickup height for balance and tone.

I want my bucker guitars to have more output than my single coils.

But, I do have different presets for single coils and humbuckers.

When I use amps and pedals, it is the same, different settings for humbuckers and single coils.

Richard

My guitars (SC and HB's) share most patches pretty well. Of course the sound is different, but i want that or I wouldn't have both. A few patches needed to be duplicated, but most are OK. Now I have the Seymour Duncan lil59 and jr HB;s so that probably helps also.

So what do all the HSS players do? Switch presets when they switch pickups? ;)
This is an interesting statement for me, as I have owned a few of these and just never could get along with them, although I really liked the idea of having both on one guitar. Hats off to you guys that make it work! I did find what I was looking for in the PRS 513, but it's a bit cheating as it is actually 5 single coils there designed to interact like that. It works great for me, and to the OPs point, doesn't require a bunch of patch jockeying.

I have tonematch master of puppets of metallica with my fender strat singlecoil, and its very closed to the original, when i switched to another humbucker guitar , the sound not even closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to play different guitars, humbuckers and single coils. Presets tweaked for single coils do not sound perfect when used with humbuckers and vice versa. I have different presets to be used with humbuckers and others with single coils. However I would like to be able to use all with both guitars. I was thinking of a block that would be turned on/off to adapt to the guitar actually played, or an x/y type of setting, or ... ? What route would you suggest for this "fits all" tool ? (I did not find threads solving this). Thanks for your input.
I have lobbied long and boisterously for a 'guitar page' on the AXE II. Here you'd have a custom INPUT LEVEL (VERY IMPORTANT), EQ, Compressor and Noise Gate for each guitar in your stable. Name each one ('Brown strat', 'LP Junior' etc.). then, when you plug in, select your guitar from that page and you're now optimized for it. Seems like a complete no-brainer to me, and well within the capabilities of the current hardware and software architecture, from what I can see. I really hope this shows up in future FW.

The purpose of this page is NOT to make all your guitars sound alike, BTW, it's to make each sound its BEST.

I have lobbied long and boisterously for a 'guitar page' on the AXE II. Here you'd have a custom INPUT LEVEL (VERY IMPORTANT), EQ, Compressor and Noise Gate for each guitar in your stable. Name each one ('Brown strat', 'LP Junior' etc.). then, when you plug in, select your guitar from that page and you're now optimized for it. Seems like a complete no-brainer to me, and well within the capabilities of the current hardware and software architecture, from what I can see. I really hope this shows up in future FW.

The purpose of this page is NOT to make all your guitars sound alike, BTW, it's to make each sound its BEST.

I really like this idea. What would be one step cooler would be the ability to access this guitar switching from the MFC somehow.

If I remember correctly my boss gt-10 (sold a while back) had 3 seperate guitar input settings. I don't remember what the options were but it was very handy.

Back
Top Bottom