Humbucker to Single Coil Tone "Conversion" Preset?

ucnick

Inspired
This may sound goofy, but here goes. I primarily play humbucker-loaded guitars (Lesters, PRS, etc), which may or not include a coil split switch (which usually sounds not too hot anyway). Rather than swapping guitars when going from playing Steve Stevens to SRV, would be nice to be able to set up a preset with some band limiting, shaping, and boosting which would modify the humbucker tonality to sound more like a single coil. I understand that the source frequencies are different between the pickup types, and in addition there are other considerations such as scale length, body wood, bridge, etc, but it might be useful to be able to somewhat convincingly evoke more of a SC sound from my HB-loaded axes. I typically use SD or DiMarzio PAF-type HBs. I am going to look into it, but was wondering if anybody else has played with this idea at all on the AX8.

I have never tried that, but any Fractal product is quite a tone shaper, so you can probably get close on one pick up position. I would guess, tho, that one preset isn't going to cover the different strat pick up selections, so it won't sound as good as the real thing going from chime to quack to warm.

I personally use a little boost pedal to boost my input signal when changing from a strat to my PRS single cut. I use different presets, too, for the two different guitars.

It has been discussed in the AxeFX forum. The folks there use an IR/TM block to model the pickup sound before the amp/cab block. Unfortunately the AX8 allows for only one IR/cab block so no way to do the same here.

Back
Top Bottom