Humbucker recommendations? Knowing Fractal can compensate!

Hey all,

I’m a relatively new FM3 owner and amazed by all the tones in this box. I’m looking to overhaul my Charvel So Cal with a HS single 500k volume setup.

Hoping for a versatile humbucker and thought this group could help out. My thinking is that I’m asking a lot of a single humbucker but the Fractal could probably compensate for the gainer stuff I want.

I have always been a Seymour JB guy (80s hair a la Dokken, RATT, VH is my main style), but want a humbucker that can (1) clean up/crunch better with volume roll off and (2) be a little tighter in the low end for some drop D modern metal.

So essentially I want to not sacrifice hair tones but also have classic rock and some modern metal tones. I’m pairing with a DiMarzio Injector neck.

Currently looking at the Wolfetone Marshallhead, SD Perpetual Burn or a SD Custom variant.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Check out Bare Knuckle's Humbucker line, there are several that may fit the bill. I got a set of Mules last year and I'm really impressed with them. I'm sure their higher output pickups sound great.

The Duncan custom shop also has several signature pickups from the guitar player of the bands you mentioned. I've always wanted to try the 78 Model.

All incredible suggestions, thanks everyone! I made a bit of an impulsive decision: Wolfetone Marshallhead. Once installed I’ll have to come report back. Hurt my wrist a bit so I might be out of commission on guitar (great timing right)?

Since you already made the decision, I'm late to the party here, so I'll add my two cents in case the Marshallhead doesn't work out.

I've recently installed a set of Duncan Saturday Specials to my superstrat, and both the bridge and the neck roll off (and split) beautifully. The range of tones is truly inspiring. My tone falls squarely in the cranked JCM800 range, and to me the Saturday Specials are perfect for that. I know you're only looking for the bridge, and for sheer beauty and versatility, the bridge Saturday Night Special should more than take care of any technique you want to throw at it; I've never had this level of articulation before. I don't know about volume balance with an Injector (Scott Lawing writes that inductance is what you really want to know for that), but at least on its own it's an unbelievable bridge pickup. If I just had a SC slot, I'd see if Duncan would wind a custom stacked version of the SNS or I would just route for a HB in the neck (I'm not precious about my guitar looking perfect haha), I love it so much. Not that anyone else would be so inclined, but the set is that incredible to me.

My guitar came with a JB with a 500k pot in the bridge (and a Duncan '59 in the neck), and I couldn't stand the JB; it felt harsh to me (and uninspiring with a 250k pot, though that did tame the harshness), and after reading a ton in forums and reviews, running the pickup selectors many times for DiMarzio and for Duncan, with a bunch of variations for genre, and talking to people over the phone at both DiMarzio and Duncan, the SNS is what spoke strongest to me. When I asked the Duncan rep what their best HB was for good tone at lower volume and tone pot settings, he instantly came back the with the Saturday Night Specials. The posted video of Doug Rappaport destroying the world with a set was the clincher.

For Drop D, I just tried it with my SNS bridge, and it was massive.

Regardless, Best of Luck with the Marshallhead! :)

One thing I should point out: my experience is using the SNS with a 500k pot; if you might be using a 250k pot as DiMarzio recommends for the Injector, it might make the SNS muddy. For the guitar you have, if Charvel paired a JB with an Injector, that sounds perfect frequency balance-wise, just because both might be best with a 250k pot! But I feel the same way about the JB not being versatile. :rolleyes:

Since you already made the decision, I'm late to the party here, so I'll add my two cents in case the Marshallhead doesn't work out.

I've recently installed a set of Duncan Saturday Specials to my superstrat, and both the bridge and the neck roll off (and split) beautifully. The range of tones is truly inspiring. My tone falls squarely in the cranked JCM800 range, and to me the Saturday Specials are perfect for that. I know you're only looking for the bridge, and for sheer beauty and versatility, the bridge Saturday Night Special should more than take care of any technique you want to throw at it; I've never had this level of articulation before. I don't know about volume balance with an Injector (Scott Lawing writes that inductance is what you really want to know for that), but at least on its own it's an unbelievable bridge pickup. If I just had a SC slot, I'd see if Duncan would wind a custom stacked version of the SNS or I would just route for a HB in the neck (I'm not precious about my guitar looking perfect haha), I love it so much. Not that anyone else would be so inclined, but the set is that incredible to me.

:)
Did you find a trembucker version of the SNS? (i.e. tremolo style width)

Did you find a trembucker version of the SNS? (i.e. tremolo style width)
Yeah, here. I was about to ask Duncan to custom make one for me, but it looks like this guy Mike running this shop custom orders most of the pickups he carries in trembuckers to keep in stock! I'm so freaking glad I though to google "Saturday Night Special trembucker" and happened upon his store on eBay. Also, since he's an official Duncan dealer, the exchange policy with Duncan still applies.

My guitar came with a JB with a 500k pot in the bridge (and a Duncan '59 in the neck), and I couldn't stand the JB; it felt harsh to me (and uninspiring with a 250k pot, though that did tame the harshness), and after reading a ton in forums and reviews, running the pickup selectors many times for DiMarzio and for Duncan, with a bunch of variations for genre, and talking to people over the phone at both DiMarzio and Duncan, the SNS is what spoke strongest to me. When I asked the Duncan rep what their best HB was for good tone at lower volume and tone pot settings, he instantly came back the with the Saturday Night Specials. The posted video of Doug Rappaport destroying the world with a set was the clincher.

For Drop D, I just tried it with my SNS bridge, and it was massive.

Regardless, Best of Luck with the Marshallhead! :)

Wow what a review. I’ll definitely keep this in mind if the Wolfetone doesn’t work out. Good call on the pots and pairing. I’m realizing now the Injector may be super hot compared to the Wolfetone but pickup height should help. Thank you!!

All incredible suggestions, thanks everyone! I made a bit of an impulsive decision: Wolfetone Marshallhead. Once installed I’ll have to come report back. Hurt my wrist a bit so I might be out of commission on guitar (great timing right)?

Wolfetone makes great pickups, I have a set of Dr. Vintage humbuckers n a guitar and they sound great. Can't wait to hear what you think of the Marshallheads.

Back
Top Bottom