Humanscale Freedom Chair - Not Impressed - Seeking Alternatives

Aeron didn't work for me. Which reminds me of something funny. How many of you can make a weird statement like this: "Oz Noy gave me super-cushiony gel pad for my butt!"

I got my Aero years ago and never looked back--I love it! But different bodies = different chairs!

I recommend the dual chair method, I could not find a decent all in one chair.
I use a Gibraltar drum throne with the motorcycle style seat for guitar/bass practice and tracking , then have an office chair for all other duties at the desk.
The drum throne forces me to have a good poster for hours of playing, and is just really comfy. Then I get to kick it in the office chair for mixing and such.

As much as I like my Aeron, I find it totally impractical for sitting while playing guitar. I got this chair recently and I'm happy with it so far. It has arm rests and good lumbar support, so it's a good chair for sitting at the desk, but the arm rests flip up which makes it very comfortable for playing guitar.

I tried to post the link to the chair on Amazon, but that didn't work for some reason. Anyway it's a Hbada.

65337F61-770B-48C8-ACD0-9385CAABF6A3.jpeg

Last edited:
I prefer the Steelcase Leap. I am tall and thin. It's perfect for me.
The armrests can be lowered but cannot be removed.

I compared a lot of chairs when a family member worked for DS&D office furniture.
A "famous" chair I dislike is the Herman Miller Aero.
I'm kind of heavyset and the Leap is great for me as well. They have a version that is a bit wider and would probably accommodate my size better, but I'm making progress at getting back in shape these days.

I'm convinced that no chair is going to be a do everything chair for me. If it's comfortable for me to sit at most of the day, which includes some time leaning back while vegging, watching some TV, or contemplating a problem, then it's going to suck for guitar; even if the arms fold up.

I'm more likely to end up on the Roc-n-Soc, which I got casters for, which does work well for guitar and popping between desks, but I can't be lazy in it.

I'm convinced that no chair is going to be a do everything chair for me. If it's comfortable for me to sit at most of the day, which includes some time leaning back while vegging, watching some TV, or contemplating a problem, then it's going to suck for guitar; even if the arms fold up.

I'm more likely to end up on the Roc-n-Soc, which I got casters for, which does work well for guitar and popping between desks, but I can't be lazy in it.

I find myself going back and forth between contemplating and playing many times during a recording session 😀. But I’d be interested in hearing how well the rocnsoc works for you, if you go in that direction.

I find myself going back and forth between contemplating and playing many times during a recording session 😀. But I’d be interested in hearing how well the rocnsoc works for you, if you go in that direction.

I guess the way I wrote it was weird. I have the Roc-n-Soc (Lunar Series, in red), and it's been my primary music chair for a while. I got turned on to using them by a guitar teach I know that had a handful of them in his studio. I got the one with the adjustable height, as it gets pretty tall...I'm 6'5"....but what really made it amazing was putting casters on it. I find during the work week, I'm more likely to end up sitting in that than my large leather executive style chair. My posture is better in the Roc-n-Soc. I did get the backrest for it which helps. I can scoot between my studio desk and my computer desk really easy now, and as long as I'm not trying to "lounge" on it, it's a great place to sit. Very comfortable. It just doesn't tilt back, have a place to put your arms, etc.

That's interesting. I am worried about my posture. It's not good to hunch over the guitar. I do find I like arm rests though when sitting back and doing critical listening.

Just found this:
HM__1202.jpg

https://studioatwork.nl/winkel/gitaarstoel-serie-91/

Armrests can be removed.
And it's only €199 promo from € 329
Whadyathink?

Unfortunately not.
It's a Dutch firm and they only ship free to The Netherlands and perhaps Belgium too.

As much as I like my Aeron, I find it totally impractical for sitting while playing guitar. I got this chair recently and I'm happy with it so far. It has arm rests and good lumbar support, so it's a good chair for sitting at the desk, but the arm rests flip up which makes it very comfortable for playing guitar.

I tried to post the link to the chair on Amazon, but that didn't work for some reason. Anyway it's a Hbada.

View attachment 72976

This is basically (if not exactly the same) the chair I have had for many years.
After trying out several chairs, I ended up buying a new hydronic lift cylinder ( the old one kept sinking) and a Purple seat cushion and now it's better than new.

Back
Top Bottom