Hum with Marshall Jubilee 2555x

marshall2553

Power User
Anyone using the FX8 with one of the new Jubilee reissues? I have it hooked up in 4CM using Humbusters on the pre and post outs and I'm getting a ton of what sounds like ground loop hum. The amp and FX8 are plugged into the same power strip and the noise is there even when my guitar isn't plugged in. The amp is pretty quiet when I remove the FX8 from the equation and the FX8 is almost silent with my other amps. Not sure what the problem is.

Hi, check the post level in I/O menu. Factory default is +4dBu. Try to set it to -10dBV. Notice that even it looks that level is changed it is not... Switch FX8 off an on again THEN it changes the level. After power up recheck that level is -10dBV and try again with amp. I had exactly the same with Friedman head and this fixed it. +4dBu is too hot for many tube amps. It took awhile to figure out that a reset is needed. Probably a bug in this? Hopefully this cures your problem as well. Cheers!

Hi, check the post level in I/O menu. Factory default is +4dBu. Try to set it to -10dBV. Notice that even it looks that level is changed it is not... Switch FX8 off an on again THEN it changes the level. After power up recheck that level is -10dBV and try again with amp. I had exactly the same with Friedman head and this fixed it. +4dBu is too hot for many tube amps. It took awhile to figure out that a reset is needed. Probably a bug in this? Hopefully this cures your problem as well. Cheers!
Thanks, unfortunately that didn't reduce the hum. Which Friedman do you have? It actually works very well with my Smallbox and Dirty Shirley with it set to +4dBu. This sounds like a ground loop more than a level issue. It's constant in volume, occurs when my guitar isn't plugged in and the only way to get rid of it is to remove the FX8. I'll try some other pedals in the loop just to make sure it only happens with the FX8.

I have Runt 50. It had quite a lot of noise, clearly not ground loop type but higher "hiss". Unplugging guitar had no impact, bypassing fx8 had slight impact. Removing fx8 from the loop made amp almost dead silent. I was quite dissapointed after all praise how noisless this unit would be. I have humbuster cables and other cables are top of the line as well. Changing the post loop level made it for me and now it's almost no difference if I have fx8 in the loop or not. I thought you would have the same issue. I think I've seen someone else having the same problem and fix as I had.

Yeah, that sounds like it. So the Hum X completely fixed it for you? Do you just plug the FX8 into the Hum X?
Yes...The "Hum X" completely removed the buzz & the ground loop issue that I had going on. There's a huge difference between amp noise due to using a lot of high gain......& an actual ground loop buzz/hum & I get this now that I've heard both.

No, the "Hum X gets plugged directly into the Carvin Amps power cord. The FX8 has nothing to do with this.........The 4cm is known for creating ground loop issues by nature in a lot of different amp set-ups.

You need to try everything here to chase it out......Try Hum-buster cables......then try removing them or one of them......Try different power sources........Ground lifts.......etc....etc......

The Hum X worked for me because it was the only way to lift the ground on mt Carvin Legacy I believe.......but again, I'm NOT a doctor!!!!!

Good luck!

X

PS - You DON'T want to noise gate a ground loop away either! You'll never do it......&/or......your tone will suffer BIG TIME!!!!

Well, plugging the FX8 and Jubilee into different outlets doesn't help. I tried taking the FX8 out and putting only a delay pedal in the loop and there's no hum. I guess I'll try the Hum X or just live with it.

Just got a Hum X and it killed the hum I was getting. Thanks for the suggestion!
Good for you man!!!!!

I'm glad that it worked.......& again, the 4cm can be a crazy thing & cause all kinds of issues.

There have been enough cases with different amp & FX loops that I think most people realize it's just the nature of things.

Peace! X

Good for you man!!!!!

I'm glad that it worked.......& again, the 4cm can be a crazy thing & cause all kinds of issues.

There have been enough cases with different amp & FX loops that I think most people realize it's just the nature of things.

Peace! X
Yeah, I was surprised by the amount of hum after having no issues with several other amps.

Yeah, I was surprised by the amount of hum after having no issues with several other amps.
I had NO ISSUES with the Friedman Runt 50 amp......& then I bought & used a new Legacy 3 amp & had major buzz. I knew this was the ground loop issue & just had to figure out how to break it!

It's really good to know about this & how to fix it too! Keep passing this info onto people........& keep the good Karma going bro! ;)

X

Back
Top Bottom