Hum / Noise on factory presets?

dtsteve

Just a question...I've had mine for a couple of months now, have been very busy and haven't really messed around with it too much. I notice that almost any factory patch with even moderate gain is incredibly noisy. I'm getting lots of background noise, hum almost like the guitar is unplugged, anytime the noise gate cuts out. This is a real issue and I really hate it. I have lowered the gain on some patches but you can only lower it so much and retain what you want to do with it. I've used 3 different guitars, two Music Mans and an Ibanez USA with EMG's. I use planet waves cables. When I run the same guitar and cable thru my Mark V the sound isn't there, it's quiet. The Axe FX setup I use is guitar..cable...input..and either headphone out or 1/4" out into a mixer for practicing along with music. Either way, both types of outputs buzz like crazy. I tried the ground lift switch even though I'm not using the xlrs to no avail. Is anyone else having this problem? Do I need to do an update? I feel like the unit should be quiet, not noisy. I do practice with the guitar just a couple of feet away from the unit for easy adjusting, but it's still there if I move away from it. I don't want to have to turn the noise gate way up and lose dynamics.
Thanks in advance!

You must use the Noise Reduction. It's awesome. I hated the noise too before I discovered it. Set ratio to around 2 and you should be fine with just about any patch.

did you buy your AxeFx new direct from FAS or authorized reseller? Is it noisy with global bypass engaged. Is it noisy with a different non-guitar input source, like a keyboard or from a mixer using rear inputs? Have you brought your setup to a completely different physical environment (different building in a different town) to test for noise? Is the AxeFx located near any sting sources of RFI?

Can you record some clips of the noise, and your sound thru the AxeFx, starting with full bypass, and the demonstrating the noisy presets as the noise gradually gets worse depending on what factory preset you use?

this should obviously not be a normal condition with mid gain stock presets if it is so loud as to be unusable. Are you in an area where there are other AxeFx users with whom you can compare sounds?

I've used it in 2 different buildings about ten miles from each other, same deal. Haven't tried any other instruments yet with it. I'll try finding that noise block when I get home today. I love the unit but the whole noise issue is starting to get to me. Clean patches are noise free, they sound great.

if your clean sounds are good to go, then it is probably inherent noise (normal) typical of higher gain presets. Make sure that you have good gain structure at the front end going into the AxeFx (tickle the red on the input) and also consider adjusting the amp block's Advanced Parameter page input gain setting for more gain going into your amp model.

The new banks have the noise gate of on most patches. You need to adjust add needed to eliminate/reduce the noise.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I have the same problems from the past, you can hear my clip being RMA the unit has solved the problems

My axefx2 has arrived, bet there is hi frequency noise i cant solve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huh? the OP of this thread has already stated that the clean tones sound just fine. This doesn't seem to be the same noise/sonic issue that you were having. Also awaiting results of other tests and recordings from the OP. We all know that misery loves company, but why don't we all hang on before jumping to the conclusion that his AxeFx is faulty or was damaged in shipping, shall we?

Even on the clean presets I put the noise gate on yet alone the high gain/distortion presets. But it works fantastic and is totally quiet until I strike the strings. Coming from a Marshall, the Axe is night and day compared to what I had to put up with the Marshall even with the G-system!

I'll try to get some samples up in the next day or 2, either waay, the noise is not anything like the noise on Irfan's post. It just sounds like a really noisy amp. I did make a patch today, it's basically just a mid-gain patch, and it sounds good, no noise concerns. I'm going to try to mess around with it a bit more and see what I can come up with.

I'll try to get some samples up in the next day or 2, either waay, the noise is not anything like the noise on Irfan's post. It just sounds like a really noisy amp. I did make a patch today, it's basically just a mid-gain patch, and it sounds good, no noise concerns. I'm going to try to mess around with it a bit more and see what I can come up with.

Dear DtSteve
I have the same problem as yours, my unit is Axe Ultra, and whatever is the gain or distortion in general, the "noisy amp" comes out.
I use it mainly for raemping, thought it could be the DI track, noisy and hummy, but it is the same when I plug and play directly in (front panel).
Did you solve the issue?
thanx
Mikky

I didn't discover this Input Gate for awhile, until I accidently clicked on it :)

and you don't have to burn resources using a gate block, although I do use the gate block as needed

Back
Top Bottom