Hum depending on position of guitar with respect to Axe FX II. Same with Axe III?

cheopsnet

Inspired
Hello,

With my Axe FX II, I have noticed a hum that seems to appear/disappear depending on the position of the guitar with respect to the Axe FX. I have positioned the Axe on my desk (standard height) and am sitting on a stool within arms distance to the axe FX. When looking at the axe, I get a hum which seems to disappear/lower considerably when I turn my back to the axe fx. This happens across guitars and pickups (tried with a Suhr with 2 noiseless single coil and a humbucker, a Gibson '59 reissue with humbuckers and a Novo with noise-canceling Fralin P90s).
I notice this varying tendency to hum whether plugging earphones into the Axe II or into my laptop (using Ableton). I have also tested different cables. One single cable between the Axe and my guitar.

1. Are you guys aware of this issue?
2. Is this something that you have noticed with the Axe III?

Thanks,
Louis

Hi Louis,
I certainly don't get that issue - are you absolutely sure it's from the Axe FX? I ask because such hum is usually associated with large transformers and the AXE FX PSU has a tiny one... Have you tried plugging headphones into the AXE FX, and turning everything else off? I'm speculating with everything else turmned off, that the hum is significantly reduced. Anyway - gfood lucj with it!.. Please jkeep us posted.
Thanks
Pauly

My guess after chasing these things is it is EMI/RF that is in your room from any number of sources in your house or studio. Could be Dimmers three rooms over or your PC monitor or who knows what else.
I doubt it is the AXE. You likely would have the hum with any tube amp, or any other modeler.

The guitar just picks up the noise.

Also I bet it reduces or goes quiet when you have the pickups in the in between middle setting on a three way two humbucker setup.

Just use the noise gate.

Last edited:
All non-linear amplifiers are susceptible to this issue, analog, digital, tube or solid state. Your guitar is picking up environmental noise and the Axe FX is amplifying it. The more gain you add, the more compression and clipping you get. That raises the noise floor of the signal and the louder the noise gets relative to the desired output. The pickup coils in your guitar are noise antennas. Their magnetic field has a polarity that points in a specific direction. That's why turning the guitar changes what noise you are getting. You either have to remove or block the external source of the noise with better shielding or changing location, use humbucking to help cancel out the common noise on two sources, or use a noise gate to help cover up the noise when you're not playing. You can always play inside one of these too:

sshot4f340daee6bb7.jpg

I have noticed a hum that seems to appear/disappear depending on the position of the guitar with respect to the Axe FX...When looking at the axe, I get a hum which seems to disappear/lower considerably when I turn my back to the axe fx.
When you change the position of your guitar relative to the Axe, you're also changing its position relative to everything else in the room...or in the house, for that matter. It's ideal if you can find the source of the interference.

I get noise when I am too close to the computer. I can angle the guitar slightly differently and it is a little better. It doesn't seem like how close I am to the Axe FXII or Axe FXIII is affecting it. It seems like the nearness to the computer is part of the problem, or maybe the wireless modem sitting behind the iMac. Now I do normally play vintage Stratocasters so that is part of the problem. Since I use the Axe FX to record into the computer I am always near the computer when recording into Digital Performer. Any suggestions besides using humbuckers?

Get a lower RFI computer
Shield your guitar better
Use Humbuster cables
Make sure there are no active dimmers in your house
Play inside a faraday cage

Get a lower RFI computer
Shield your guitar better
Use Humbuster cables
Make sure there are no active dimmers in your house
Play inside a faraday cage

Just bought a new iMac 27 inch so I won't be buying a new computer.

I'll get my guitar repairman to take a look and see if he can shield my guitars any better.

I use xlr cables now, but I am going to buy some Humbuster cables to try.

No dimmers downstairs in the studio, but there is one upstairs that we never use.

The faraday cage sounds fun. Would love to have one!

I am dealing with this at our studio every so often. It's very random. We practice in my drummers extra garage which he converted to a studio. Some days it's there some days it's not. I'm starting to think it's coming from a neighbor which is why it's so random.

Face Westward especially with single coils.

You may end up off skew from literally 270 degrees from North. But you’ll find a sweet spot where you obtain the best condition for your guitar and setup.

I am dealing with this at our studio every so often. It's very random. We practice in my drummers extra garage which he converted to a studio. Some days it's there some days it's not. I'm starting to think it's coming from a neighbor which is why it's so random.
I play upstairs... Sometimes my wife starts up the dishwasher downstairs on the other side of the house. Immediate and nasty hum ensues until it shuts off.

I play upstairs... Sometimes my wife starts up the dishwasher downstairs on the other side of the house. Immediate and nasty hum ensues until it shuts off.
Yeah, I think it’s a neighbor vacuuming, or an appliance of some sort. I just crank the gate up.

Been running into this some. Found out my guitar wasn't properly shielded though. Its being shielded now. Hope that fixes it for me!

Back
Top Bottom