HUGE THANKS & "mad props" to clarky ... !

R.D.

Power User
Because he just helped me increase the enjoyment of my Axe-Fx II XL experience at least TEN fold !

Don't get me wrong, I've always loved and enjoyed my Axe …, I first purchased an Ultra ( in 2009 ), upgraded to a II as soon as they were available. I did have to sell that one almost two years ago due to some unexpected health-related bills. But I re-bought the XL as soon as it was available and that brings us to the present day ….

I really don't play "out" much any more, I just dabble with some recording for friends …, but mostly just jam-out to CD's & backing tracks in my basement/studio.

I don't even own a footswitch yet ! I had been using a virtual controller on my computer keyboard …. I did however, have an expression pedal ( BOSS FV-500 ) lying around, so I thought why not ?!?

Anyway, I PM'ed clarky a couple of questions about his Amp Morphing technique and he immediately answered me back by offering to help me sort through the process and build a pre-set of my own ….

Only ( 8 ) private messages later …, I'm the proud owner/player of my own Amp Morphing preset !

Now, I'm not morphing two amps simultaneously like he is …! I started slow with only one amp …. Two might come later ?

Setting up the Amp was easier than I thought it would be. Once I had the Amp tones almost there, the rest came much quicker. The Compressor and PEQ work in tandem w/ each other opposite the Amp Gain ( ie; as the Amp Gain decreases, the Compressor's and PEQ's effect increases ).

The only tricky part was setting up the Mixer for the PEQ crossfading …. And that was only because I mis-read clarky's instructions to me the first time. He pointed out the error I'd made and I was all set. Then I went back and re-read what he'd told me to do and realized he'd explained it correctly right from the start, but I just didn't realize it at the time.

My clean-ed up tone has Compression, PEQ, Detune & Chorus ( Dimension ) …. When I "morph" to the Hi-Gain all that goes away and is replaced by the Multi-Delay ( Circular Delay ) !

It's so much fun playing that preset, I can hardly stand it ….

Kinda makes me wanna go find a new band to get on stage with …. Well …, o.k. maybe not that far …, but it's still as much fun as you can have with your clothes still on !

THANKS AGAIN, and MUCH RESPECT to clarky !

Yeah Clark is a stud, as much crap as he get's he's worth his weight 10x in gold, his passion is what I love, but some people can't stand that, I find it motivating, and glad that he stuck around with us this long LOL.

What a wonderful and helpful community. Would you mind sharing the patch for us to learn from as well?

What a wonderful and helpful community. Would you mind sharing the patch for us to learn from as well?

Ya know ..., I learned an awful lot by working through the process with clarky's help .... It's not really that complicated if you go through it step by step.

Tell ya what ..., I've got some time this weekend, I'll see if I can mock up a semi-detailed set of instructions and post it up ....

Ya know ..., I learned an awful lot by working through the process.... It's not really that complicated if you go through it step by step.

I wish more users had this outlook. It's refreshing after seeing so many "do it for me, i'm lazy, have a family, etc.." types requesting everything.

I wish more users had this outlook. It's refreshing after seeing so many "do it for me, i'm lazy, have a family, etc.." types requesting everything.

Well ..., in everyone's defense ( especially clarky's ) .... The whole "amp morphing thing" can be pretty daunting. What with at least 4 different blocks and 5 different functions having a single controller ( with some of them working in opposition to each other ) going all at the same time ....

I don't blame anyone for saying ...., "Hey that sounds WAY over my head, can you just hook me up ?"

But now that I understand what each does and the bigger picture that you're trying to accomplish, it makes more sense to break it down into a step by step process.

Please post the preset. The morphing is awesome. I followed Clarky's thread, cool stuff. Multiple controllers tweaked at the same time. So many possibilities.

Because he just helped me increase the enjoyment of my Axe-Fx II XL experience at least TEN fold !

Don't get me wrong, I've always loved and enjoyed my Axe …, I first purchased an Ultra ( in 2009 ), upgraded to a II as soon as they were available. I did have to sell that one almost two years ago due to some unexpected health-related bills. But I re-bought the XL as soon as it was available and that brings us to the present day ….

I really don't play "out" much any more, I just dabble with some recording for friends …, but mostly just jam-out to CD's & backing tracks in my basement/studio.

I don't even own a footswitch yet ! I had been using a virtual controller on my computer keyboard …. I did however, have an expression pedal ( BOSS FV-500 ) lying around, so I thought why not ?!?

Anyway, I PM'ed clarky a couple of questions about his Amp Morphing technique and he immediately answered me back by offering to help me sort through the process and build a pre-set of my own ….

Only ( 8 ) private messages later …, I'm the proud owner/player of my own Amp Morphing preset !

Now, I'm not morphing two amps simultaneously like he is …! I started slow with only one amp …. Two might come later ?

Setting up the Amp was easier than I thought it would be. Once I had the Amp tones almost there, the rest came much quicker. The Compressor and PEQ work in tandem w/ each other opposite the Amp Gain ( ie; as the Amp Gain decreases, the Compressor's and PEQ's effect increases ).

The only tricky part was setting up the Mixer for the PEQ crossfading …. And that was only because I mis-read clarky's instructions to me the first time. He pointed out the error I'd made and I was all set. Then I went back and re-read what he'd told me to do and realized he'd explained it correctly right from the start, but I just didn't realize it at the time.

My clean-ed up tone has Compression, PEQ, Detune & Chorus ( Dimension ) …. When I "morph" to the Hi-Gain all that goes away and is replaced by the Multi-Delay ( Circular Delay ) !

It's so much fun playing that preset, I can hardly stand it ….

Kinda makes me wanna go find a new band to get on stage with …. Well …, o.k. maybe not that far …, but it's still as much fun as you can have with your clothes still on !

THANKS AGAIN, and MUCH RESPECT to clarky !

WOW ! ! !

thanks matey.. thanks so much for the very cool words…
it really was a pleasure..

haa… I'm blown away..

But now that I understand what each does and the bigger picture that you're trying to accomplish, it makes more sense to break it down into a step by step process.

THIS is the key piece…

so now you know how to do it.. you know it's not actually that difficult..
you can now make it your own
and that's where all the magic happens..

Clarky,

I hope I didn't overlook it in the above talk, but is there any chance the step-by-step for this morphing preset is already posted on our forum? I, too, find it more useful to learn by stepping through something to truly get a handle on why it works like it does. If it is not, I'd recommend this happen and make it a Sticky (assuming you wouldn't have a problem with it). This sounds like it could be useful for anyone new coming in (and old farts like myself), to help build useful knowledge.

Cheers,

Lee

Clarky,

I hope I didn't overlook it in the above talk, but is there any chance the step-by-step for this morphing preset is already posted on our forum? I, too, find it more useful to learn by stepping through something to truly get a handle on why it works like it does. If it is not, I'd recommend this happen and make it a Sticky (assuming you wouldn't have a problem with it). This sounds like it could be useful for anyone new coming in (and old farts like myself), to help build useful knowledge.

Cheers,

Lee

Lee,

It IS posted in a couple of different threads that clarky has done over the past couple of years .... But they go on & on for pages & pages .... He went through his entire thought process, even some things that maybe didn't work out the way he intended ....

Now that the process has been refined, I think it makes sense to post it up again.

I'll try to put something up this weekend, and clarky will need to review it for accuracy ( and to add his thoughts as well ) ....

Stand by !

It IS posted in a couple of different threads that clarky has done over the past couple of years.
Now that the process has been refined, I think it makes sense to post it up again.
I'll try to put something up this weekend, and clarky will need to review it for accuracy ( and to add his thoughts as well ) ....
Stand by !

This would be truly appreciated. :D

Sometimes it is simply a matter of seeing, or visualizing, someone else's concept that can be a breakthrough in the learning process. I think the forum's Cliff's Notes are a great example of the 'shared knowledge', but it's is truly amazing what others have been able to achieve, and more importantly share with others that makes this such a fun and enlightening experience. From there, the boundaries are only limited by the next individuals imagination and willingness to share their lessons learned. Gotta love the FAS community...

Can you post a reference to clarky's thread? This sounds like something I came up with back in the day with my ART SGX-2000... I couldn't cope with the lag when switching presets so I assigned one controller pedal on my X-15 midi controller to control 6 or 7 different parameters, such as volume, drive, specific EQ bands, etc. When done right it is sooo much better than any other solution.

Thought about doing it with the Axe Fx, but since I can use scenes it's been simpler to do that :)

Yeah, I had a great chorus/clean to heavy chunk morph on my 2101 I could use for a whole gig if I needed to. Also a Dry Chunk to phaser delay extravaganza that I made that was awesome. I could stomp on the expression pedal for emphasis of a certain note, or just bring in a subtle bit at the end of a phrase.

Back
Top Bottom