HS8 or DXR10 at home

Docster

if the option is dual HS8’s on the monitoring desk vs dual DXR10’s on the floor, is the best option to go bigger with the DXR’s so that you get a better guitar tone?

What will you be doing? Bedroom/office player? Or playing with band/friends at home?

Desktop monitors typically will prove more useful overall I’d wager

If your only need is hearing yourself play guitar loudly then the dx10’s would be what I want to play through, but I use my desktop monitors for everything, guitar, recording, listening to music etc.

Keep in mind louder does not mean your getting a better tone, just means you can play louder, but your unlikely to ever need even half the volume they can put out at home, unless you want to damage your hearing, annoy neighbors etc

I use a single DXR10 at home (central London flat) and wouldn't use anything else, love it - sounds great quiet and reasonable loud flat volumes. I found smaller speakers didn't have the 'bass presence' I wanted

What will you be doing? Bedroom/office player? Or playing with band/friends at home?
My space is 10'x14'. I am normally playing by myself but occasionally with others. Besides the AxeFx III, I have a dual amp setup (Diezel Herbert and Friedman BE100) running in stereo through 212 cabs so I am used to a pretty big sound. Recently got the AxeFx as I want to play more through headphones for late night play, but also want a nice FRFR/IR's solution that can get a "close" cab like feel. The DXR10 gets a lot of positive feedback, but really don't want to use wedges as my floor space is limited. My feeling is that I will lose some "ooomph" if I go with the HS8's, but can get them on my desk.

I use a single DXR10 at home (central London flat) and wouldn't use anything else, love it - sounds great quiet and reasonable loud flat volumes. I found smaller speakers didn't have the 'bass presence' I wanted
I'm guessing that "bass presence" is the same thing I am worried the HS8's won't be able to provide compared to the DXR's. Whis smaller speakers have you tried?

I'm guessing that "bass presence" is the same thing I am worried the HS8's won't be able to provide compared to the DXR's. Whis smaller speakers have you tried?
DXR will give more bass...but is that what you need/want?

I would say this - go down to GC and have them crank up a pair of HS8's. If they thump enough for you, and are loud enough with program music, then you will get the same out of the Axe III when using them. If they are lacking the volume/punch you want for your room, then the DXRs are a better step.

Dual DXR's at home seems like a bit much. Is it me or are the HS8's really big speakers. I was thinking toget a pair, but seeing how much space they need, I went with a smaller setup for home playing.

I had the M-Audio BX8s which are rear ported, and they were too bassy for me as I had them up against the wall on stands in a den. I believe the HS8s are rear ported as well. Switched to Focale Alpha 50s which are front ported and like them much better for my application. I also have a DXR10 and while having 2 would certainly be cool, I prob wouldn't want that much floor space occupied. If you want 2 for stereo I get that, but in a 10x14 room one is plenty loud enough.

I ended up ordering a pair of Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors - not too big, front ported, and got a good deal from GC.

Back
Top Bottom