How would you set up presets for...

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
More Than a Feeling- Boston,
Fade to Black- Metallica,
The Trees and A Farewell to Kings- RUSH,

and other songs which have acoustic and electric parts?

Just trying to think it through.

With these songs, I do think there's enough time to make a preset change, but I'm curious to see how others would accomplish complete tone changes with one preset using scenes (scene modifiers, etc.).

Thanks.

I change presets.

I tried the everything in one preset approach several times but I find it makes preset maintenance too much work.

I try to keep my presets simple so FW upgrades don't require as much re-testing.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Simple is better.

It then becomes a matter of timing when switching presets.

For me it takes some practice working the foot controller during the show. I sing bkgr vocals so I often need to make a foot controller move + sing at the start of a chorus. The chorus's often involve chord changes or other musical changes that I need to execute too.

I make compromises sometimes to make the show easier. For example, I start with a clean preset and use a Drive on an IA switch to do fills but change presets to something with gain for the solos themselves. Coming out of a solo I might stay on the higher gain preset but use the guitar volume to play quasi clean until I get to a place where it is easy to change presets back.

So, going from acoustic to electric with the AX8 is only possible with a different preset, correct? I just don't see anyway around that.

I really think that can work. Switching presets seems to be pretty fast now.

Last edited:
In a few weeks i need this. Until then we will see how is the best solution for this. I think with scene change and amp x-y change this can be done, but haven't tried now.

and other songs which have acoustic and electric parts?

Scenes man scenes! ;)

I just did Simple Man this weekend at church and had 4 scenes on the bottom row in one preset that packed all the tone in one spot. Totally possible to make something like this. I will see if I can come up with something for Boston since I love that band.

Personally I would stick to scenes and the programmatic flexibility that one preset gets you with Scenes & X/Y parameter power. I'll see if I can come up with something for you Pima. I plan to upload a vid and the preset I built for Simple Man later on if I can get a copy. Cheers.

Thank you. That will help a lot.

Part of what prompted this thread, of course, is Moke's wonderful presets.

I still want to know how he got that 12-string.

Part of the acoustic guitar sound is using a tone match/IR of an acoustic. I imagine the only way to achieve switching between that and electric with scenes is X/Y. My question then becomes, is X/Y switching in scenes any faster than presets?

So, going from acoustic to electric with the AX8 is only possible with a different preset, correct? I just don't see anyway around that.

I really think that can work. Switching preset seems to be pretty fast now.

There are ways to combine both in a single preset, absolutely.

That's an important point I failed to mention.

No, unfortunately. None of my electrics have a piezo.

Last edited:
Ok , So are you planning on just using an electric guitar for some of the acoustic parts? or maybe there is a Line 6 Variax in the future? if so I would look at the 59. It has a very solid feel and the modeling translates better than on the 69, at least that was my experience with the two.

As to setting up the presets it should be pretty simple to do you just need to spend a little time on the different sims and I/R's to make it sound right.

It seems like there's no way around switching presets, because I will just use a regular guitar (well, as "regular" as the shape in my profile pic, that is!).

I do have some good acoustic presets, and can dial in other tones without much trouble. It's just a matter of working around some of the limitations of the AX8 after having used the Axe FX II for years.

Thank you!

And yes, I have thought about getting one of the modeling guitars. It would simplify some things live.

You could use a DI to split your signal as I do with a piezo armed guitar. Then you could set a FXLoop for the Effects In and process both signals differently. Then it's only a matter of activating the secondary input with a foot switch (something that I do with the piezo switch) to use the second routing.

If you had a guitar with a Piezo pup you could set up the cab block with two different IR's in X-Y and you could cover a lot of sonic ground. 20West has a PRS with a piezo and he is using an IR of a Taylor 900 series and it sounds killer. Set up the preset to have a good distortion and IR to go with it in one scene then bypass the amp or set it up clean with an acoustic IR in the next! Push a button and flip a switch boom!

Back
Top Bottom