How would you power this?

marsonic

Power User
I tried to post this in the FM3 discussion and got zero replies. Maybe here will help...

I'm really enjoying my FM3. It does basically everything, but I enjoy using my Turbo Tuner Mini more than it's internal one (if nothing else, the Turbo Tuner seems to track a little faster, and I think It looks cooler). Other than that, I just use the FM3 switches and an expression pedal as a wah. I don't really see that changing any time soon.

I currently have the tuner powered by a random 9V wall wart. That and the FM3 IEC cable are plugged into a power strip. But, I want to clean it up and put them on a board.

So...how would you power it?

The cheap way would be a splitter like this (Amazon product ASIN B08HSMHSSJ) and hide the random (and huge) 9V power supply under a board. Realistically, I'd probably buy a 1-spot just because it's smaller (and I would have used one except that I can't find it).

I could take apart my other (old? It's looking like it) rig and get a slightly different IEC splitter and just power the tuner off my Cioks DC7. That would actually be cheaper....though a bit ridiculous to use one of the best power supplies on the planet just for a tuner.

Or I could go hog wild and get something like a Voodoo Pedal Power 2, use the pass-through for the FM3, and use it to power the tuner. Which would also be ridiculous but would allow me to keep the old board running.

The advantage of the last 2 is that I could put a fuzz in front of the rig and actually have the input impedance be right for it....but IDK how well that would work. And I don't own a fuzz I specifically want to use. So, it probably wouldn't come up. I don't have any real desire to add anything else to the rig. I don't use wireless for the guitar and don't want to. And, I don't think there are any convenient/inexpensive wireless IEM things that run off pedal power if I did want to go that way for the few times when I have to be very quiet at home....and it almost makes more sense to just get a headphone extension cable anyway.

So....what would you use to power just barely more than the FM3? Alternatively, is there a thing I can buy that converts the 5V off the USB A connection or 12V out of the FASLINK II to 9V. I know there are things I can solder together, but I'd rather throw money at the problem than solder something together.

Thanks.

The USB A doesn't currently provide power on the FM3, just FYI.

For my FM9 rig I installed a Pedal Power 2 under my board. The FM9 plugs into the courtesy AC plug and my AudioFront Expression IO uses one of the DC jacks. I also feel like it's a little overkill but I can always use it to connect some LED lights, or a USB jack for charging a phone or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom