How would you get this tone?

Follow My Feet by The Unlikely Candidates - I need to cover the slide guitar part that starts at the :07 mark and continues throughout. https://youtu.be/Rvb4lw4a3Y4

Thoughts on how to get that tone with the Axe-FX II? There's a gritty character to the delay that I'm having a tough time figuring out.

I don't think that is slide, sounds to me like a bit delay and a lot of reverb too.

Thanks but my question doesn't have to do with whether or not he's using a slide. I'm wondering how he's getting the delay and reverb sounds. Clearly it's delay and reverb, but I'm not having any success getting that gritty, analog-sounding delay/verb trail. Would love some input on that.

I'd rename the thread title to "how do I get this effect" and then hope that those players in Simeon's ilk will drop in and give you some advice. Simeon has done a bunch of effects work with the Axe. Sounds a little like an old time radio or blown speaker effect with that heavy delay and reverb/echo. As for how, it sounds to me like the effect is heavy on the reverb/echo and light on the actual sound.

Man that so sounds like that crazy song were the band does that(similar sound) with a steal guitar! I cant think of the song name but a few months back some one worked that out! If it comes to me(the name of the song) I will try to find the post!!

That sounds like reverb (and maybe some delay) in front of an overdriven open-back amp to me. Try spring reverb, and accentuate its "clunkiness".

Last edited:
That sounds like reverb (and maybe some delay) in front of an amp to me.
+1 on this. The grit is likely coming from an effect (verb/delay) before the preamp or a distortion pedal.

Try starting with a preset with the reverb and a delay before the amp block with some gain on it, or add a overdrive before the amp block running clean as well. I think that'll provide that grinding edge on the effect you're looking for.

yeah, i was gonna say in front of the amp as well. the basic sound is very bright, so try one of the fenders and roll the bass right back and the treble right up. i think the delay is definitely in front, but i'm not sure about the reverb. i'd definitely go with spring, though and if it is the spring reverb on the amp, it would need to after, but it sounds like everything is on full tilt, so the valve in the reverb circuit may well be overdriving.

yeah, i was gonna say in front of the amp as well. the basic sound is very bright, so try one of the fenders and roll the bass right back and the treble right up. i think the delay is definitely in front, but i'm not sure about the reverb. i'd definitely go with spring, though and if it is the spring reverb on the amp, it would need to after, but it sounds like everything is on full tilt, so the valve in the reverb circuit may well be overdriving.

The man has spoken! Simeon, I was hoping you'd weigh in on this. Thanks for that, very helpful.

Maybe start with a Mono Tape Delay into a medium Spring Reverb both at 50%.

Sounds like this:

Follow My Feet by The Unlikely Candidates - I need to cover the slide guitar part that starts at the :07 mark and continues throughout. https://youtu.be/Rvb4lw4a3Y4

Thoughts on how to get that tone with the Axe-FX II? There's a gritty character to the delay that I'm having a tough time figuring out.

Back
Top Bottom