How would you describe this drum beat?

iaresee

Administrator
If you had to use words to describe the drum beat in this song, how would you describe it? Is it half time relative to the tempo (tempo is 144 bpm)? Is it slightly behind the beat? I'm pretty sure it's not swung, but there's a feel to it I don't have the right words to describe.

Thanks!

No idea. What a great tune, though.

Hell of a story/book/life/movie, too.

I wish Eddie would do those Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan inspired runs at 2:20 more often. :)

It's 144 bpm but that drum beat is slow enough that you could call it 72 bpm. But you definitely want the faster tempo for tracking.

Edit: @TG3K beat me too it :)

Man, I don't know how the hell anyone is gonna play that triplet strumming on guitar if the tempo is actually 144bpm.

The tempo HAS to be much slower if you are going to accommodate that.

Just sayin'. :)

PS: I'd be a wise-ass and play the riff "Sweet Child of Mine" over the verses.

Except that opening on that song is 1/8 notes, and not 1/16 note triplets like in Hard Sun.

Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 20-39-20 Guns N' Roses Sweet Child o' Mine Guitar Tab in D Major - Do...png

Who claps on every beat? Not Eddie Vedder, that's who.

This is noise in my signal.

Haha! Really? I'm gonna have to practice catching onto that half-time clapping. :)

I wasn't trying to talk you out of your jam. You asked for input. I offered some.

Great song regardless of how you count out the lead in.

Last edited:
..Haha! Really? I'm gonna have to practice catching onto that half-time clapping. :)...
Clapping (or drum punches) on 2 and 4 is very common.

But looking at the notation, you're right about the BPM. (Although my metronome still says it's slower than 80 BPM.) And I agree...great song regardless of how you count it. It's all about the feel.

Can't comment on the drumming/clapping technique (definitely some syncopation in there though), but I do absolutely agree with the slower tempo suggestions. I'm saying around 78 bpm as recorded.

In defense of the faster tempo folks, it is actually easier to count it out at double time (due to the off beat rhythms).

Note: When counting the bpm, listen to the guitar, not the drums/claps.

Last edited:
I think it's all in 6/8, counted in 2, which gives it a swing feel.
The really cool thing about 6/8, is you can count it as 1, 2, 1, 2, etc., but then subdivide those 2 beats in half, essentially layering a 4/4 beat over top of the 6/8, or change it entirely. I think the guitars and drums are playing in the 6/8 swing feel, with every beat coming on one of the 6 beats, but the vocals are sung mostly in 4/4, with divisions relative to that time signature.
Listen to this. At about 3:26 Bill (oops, Alan) starts layering the 4/4 over the 6/8.

Dream Theater does a similar thing in New Millennium.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom