How would you connect a preamp/pedal via FX-Loop

drawnacrol

Inspired
I was reading through the manual last night and I saw that you can connect a preamp to the back of the axe:

"(17) - INPUT 2 — Left/Mono and Right, Balanced (1/4” Tip-Ring-Sleeve) Jacks (“FX RETURN”) — Connect to the output(s) of outboard equipment when using the FX Loop block. You can also use this as an auxiliary input to any point in the signal chain of any preset using the FX Loop block."

Rear.jpg

So if I was using a preamp like an ENGL E530 for example I would be able to connect it up to Input 2 and have it inserted after a noisegate + tubescreamer? How would I go about setting this up cable wise so the signal goes back into the axe fx to use its cab sims and EQ blocks?

backpanel.jpg

So through this method you could insert a pedal/amp that isn't modeled on the axe and run the signal through it and back into the axe to utilize its cab sims?

Thanks!

I was reading through the manual last night and I saw that you can connect a preamp to the back of the axe:

"(17) - INPUT 2 — Left/Mono and Right, Balanced (1/4” Tip-Ring-Sleeve) Jacks (“FX RETURN”) — Connect to the output(s) of outboard equipment when using the FX Loop block. You can also use this as an auxiliary input to any point in the signal chain of any preset using the FX Loop block."

View attachment 10251

So if I was using a preamp like an ENGL E530 for example I would be able to connect it up to Input 2 and have it inserted after a noisegate + tubescreamer? How would I go about setting this up cable wise so the signal goes back into the axe fx to use its cab sims and EQ blocks?

View attachment 10252

So through this method you could insert a pedal/amp that isn't modeled on the axe and run the signal through it and back into the axe to utilize its cab sims?

Thanks!

Yes, you can do this and more. I actually use 3 preamps with the Axe and a number of pedals. I use Mesa Triaxis, Recto Pre and Quad pres. I have several overdrives and clean boosts I like as well as some fuzz pedals. I also use acoustic guitar preamps and outboard gear in the same way.

Essentially, you simply run your preamp (pedal) into Input 2 and place your FX loop where you want it in the preset. It's really no diffferent than any other EFX loop.

I am generally running all this stuff in front of the preset so I go Guitar> Outboard devices> EFX Loop in. But, if you want an actual loop, that can be accomplished too using output 2 to your outboard device from EFX Loop.

Manual Page 20 & 63 explain it pretty clearly

I used 3 preamps with the ultra as well, the E530 was one of them. I did it just like you said, with the gate in the front, and sent the E530's signal to the cab sims. It's pretty easy actually...

connect the line outs of the e530 into the axe's input 2 (fx return). make sure it's not the e530's compensated line outs, they sound terrible! lol
place a tubescreamer/drive block and noise gate in a row, and place the FXL block right after.
place the cab sims and eq after (or eq before the fx loop, that depends on your taste)

Pretty easy right? ;) I also used a combination of the axe's amp sims with the preamps. It's very flexible. And like krcassid said, it's in the manual.
Have fun!

Thanks so much guys, going to try this out soon as I can!

One more Q, Is your guitar plugged into the preamp or do you still plug it into the front of the Axe when adding it after the noisegate/tubescreamer sim?

I had the guitar plugged into a couple pedals, which went to the axe. I used the 1/4 outs on out 1 to send the signal to the other preamps, and had the XLR from out 1 going to FoH.
The outs from the preamps came back in the fx return of the axe, and that went to cab sims, reverb, delays etc.

It's pretty much like using the 4 cable method.

I'm actually inclined on going this method. Did not know it was possible, but it really doesn't seem all that hard AND if it works like I suppose it does then this unit is even more flexible than I had expected. And I already expect a lot from it!

I just want to make sure I have this down right....
so I would run a cable from the output 2 of the Axe to the input on the preamp, then I would run another cable from the output of the preamp to the input 2 on the Axe?
If this is correct, can somebody link me to the correct type of cable to use for these connections?

I just want to make sure I have this down right....
so I would run a cable from the output 2 of the Axe to the input on the preamp, then I would run another cable from the output of the preamp to the input 2 on the Axe?
If this is correct, can somebody link me to the correct type of cable to use for these connections?

Yes: Put an EFX loop in the chain where you want to exit/ reenter the chain. Then, go out of output 2 into device and back to input 2. Rememberrr to turn output 2 vol up on the front of the Axe. Type of cable is typically standard unbalanced 1/4" TS as this is what the Axe has for I/O 2 and what you'd typically use for most outboard devices.

I used 3 preamps with the ultra as well, the E530 was one of them. I did it just like you said, with the gate in the front, and sent the E530's signal to the cab sims. It's pretty easy actually...

connect the line outs of the e530 into the axe's input 2 (fx return). make sure it's not the e530's compensated line outs, they sound terrible! lol
place a tubescreamer/drive block and noise gate in a row, and place the FXL block right after.
place the cab sims and eq after (or eq before the fx loop, that depends on your taste)

Pretty easy right? ;) I also used a combination of the axe's amp sims with the preamps. It's very flexible. And like krcassid said, it's in the manual.
Have fun!
Why using lineout on engl because there is instrument output (fx send)

wow - decade+ old thread resurrected!😲

anyway - I have a lineout from the built in attenuator in my H+K head which I use sometimes for 4CM in order to include its power amp in the preset.

Just curious about that because i already have e530 and try to connect to great product axe fx standard
There is two output on e530 for the input2 in axe fx
These are line out and fx send
Axe fx there has input2 which is a fx return

Back
Top Bottom