How would you characterize the leap from v15.x to v16.x

This is the first update in a long while that I've actually had to tweak my presets. Usually the difference is subtle enough that I don't really notice (damaged ears and brain from 35 years rockstardom). However, once tweaked the thing I notice most from this firmware is something that's hard to put into words. A cranked tube amp has a feeling of huge potential energy waiting to be released when you touch the strings. When you do, it explodes that energy out of the speaker. That's the feeling I get from this firmware. The only difference is, with the axefx III, I get that at reasonable volume, rather than foundation disintegrating volume from my tube amp.

This is the first update in a long while that I've actually had to tweak my presets. Usually the difference is subtle enough that I don't really notice (damaged ears and brain from 35 years rockstardom). However, once tweaked the thing I notice most from this firmware is something that's hard to put into words. A cranked tube amp has a feeling of huge potential energy waiting to be released when you touch the strings. When you do, it explodes that energy out of the speaker. That's the feeling I get from this firmware. The only difference is, with the axefx III, I get that at reasonable volume, rather than foundation disintegrating volume from my tube amp.
I like this description. I hope it's accurate. I have not tried the betas yet and typically wait for the official release.

I like this description. I hope it's accurate. I have not tried the betas yet and typically wait for the official release.
It’s accurate in my experience. I had to do some tweaking but it was a pleasure because each change made a clear improvement. In some cases I switched to different cab models and the overall sound became very alive. Sometimes it was just bumping the amp block’s level. All in all it’s an exciting improvement and well worth the work.

I have not tried the betas yet and typically wait for the official release.
I can understand that, especially if you heard that Cygnus requires redoing presets, but consider this: it only takes a few minutes to back up your current system then load the new firmware. Then spin through several of your favorite presets. If you like the sound of one then tweak and see what it took to make it even better. Rinse and repeat for a couple more, then see if it’s worth it. If it’s not, simply reload Ares and restore from the backup.

It takes about ten minutes for me to backup and install the firmware, so I fiddle with a guitar, or get some tea and fiddle with a guitar, and then jump in. And I’ve done it several times just comparing sounds and/or upgrading the firmware and beta versions.

The current beta is very stable and there are very few issues. Cliff has another change he’s going to introduce that he says should be just as important, but nothing says you have to make that step. The current version is a pretty safe bet in my opinion.

For me there's some tonal differences, perhaps a bit brighter high end and more low end thump in general and some textural differences in some of the amp's breakup, but the biggest difference is in the dynamics and the feel. Notes seem to really jump off the fretboard more with Cygnus. There's a kind of bounce to the feel that is different than before, especially in the low end. When you hit hard, it really thumps like a kick drum. I've also noticed some good changes in the transition from clean to dirty when rolling the guitar volume knob. It's just feels more responsive and nuanced in the betas.

It was huge for me. The shift of focus on the upper highs down to the lower mids was a dream come true. I play a lot of high-gain, chugga chugga stuff and often had to put a PEQ after the cab block to squash out some nastiness around 3000K-4000K, but after Cygnus, I’ve removed it from 98% of my presets.

I’ve also noticed, like a tube amp, it’s a little less forgiving in regards to string noise/sloppy picking. You’ll certainly hear it if you’ve got sloppy hands and while that sounds like a negative to some, I think it’s awesome because it doesn’t let me half-ass anything.

All that said, I’m not surprised when non-Fractal users say stuff like “I can’t hear any difference”. Unless you’ve spent a lot of time with Ares, I don’t expect you to hear the differences that much, but they’re certainly there!

Back
Top Bottom