How would you build an 80s style chorusy clean sound?

mikeyg

Experienced
i heard Ethan Brosh demoing the ISP Theta Pro, and he as getting the coolest 80s thin, plinky, direct to the board chorused sound.... Where you start amp and effects wise?

Roland JC120 model, or just use the "studio clean" preset which is a nice 80's clean/chorus sound, tweak to taste if needed

Yeah I'm going for People Get Ready or Big Log type sound.
Ah. Yea. For the Beck lead sound on that lose the AMP block and run a CAB block with a NULL IR and use the preamp in the CAB block to add some recording console channel colour and warmth. Pedal compressor 1 for squish with that pop. And then try the Dimension chorus post-CAB block with some studio reverb.

As far as the effects go for the "Dimension D" or "80s Analog" type on the chorus (I think those are names). Default settings sound good... I prefer after the cab but you might try before the amp, too.

Add some delay and reverb too... 80s guitars are typically pretty "greasy" and wet.

For delay, try the 2290.

I've always struggled with the "no cab" neck pickup type sounds myself in the Axe, because of my pickups. But, aside from the nice amp-sim-free, IR-free type sounds, having an Axe FX II is certainly a big step up from the Theta Pro from what I can see. From what I can see on the Sweetwater vid, I don't even think there are that many IR's in it. I feel lucky once more.

Here's a tone match of the intro to People Get Ready.
I included a link to the XL+ Preset in the description.

By the way, I don't think this sounds anything like the Ethan Brosh demo. :p
And Big Log is something altogether different to any of the above ;-)

This ^

One of my boyhood guitar heroes is Steve Rothery from Marillion and I've tried many, many ways to emulate his clean sound. I remember reading that he used a chorus pedal into a JC120 (with its chorus engaged too), so it shouldn't have come as a surprise that the trichorus absolutely nails it!

I'd downloaded this preset a while ago and put it in my "presets to try" folder, only to finally discover it a week ago - as soon as I heard it, I hit the opening chord from Purple Rain and nearly wet myself. Spent the rest of the evening playing every Marillion song I could (almost) remember, grinning...

Back
Top Bottom