How will you use the FM3? Share your upcoming rig ideas!

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
Now that it's shipping, the excitement is even greater!

I'm curious how you intend to use the FM3? Is it going to replace all your current gear? Is it your first Fractal Audio Product? Will it be integrated into an existing rig? Axe3 at home, FM3 on the gigs?

Lots of questions. Time to spill the beans!

Personally, I've always loved the AX8 for its portability. It fits into a half-size rolling suitcase with all my cables, ev2 and my Touchmix16 mixer. Such a great rig to carry around. The FM3 is even smaller and allows me to put a bit more into that suitcase, including say a Morningstar MC6, or a few switches for layout changes. That will probably be my main rig, leaving the Axe3 at home, or in the big rack for bigger band gigs.

I love the tone of the AX8 for sure, but playing the Axe3 is even better, and now I'll have that full Ares tone on the gigs with me.

What features are you excited about? How will you use the thing!!?

I’m looking at picking up an amp in the near future for basic tones, and a since the amp happens to be midi channel switchable I may try a 4 cable method with everything controlled via the FM3 through a FC-6. Possible? It definitely will be the centre of my home recording, though!

It won't replace my AF3 rig. It'll be my grab and go rehearsal and practice solution- I can take it back and forth easily to rehearsals, and to work, where I occasionally have time during my lunch to practice. My home/gig rig will still be the full AF3.

I’m looking at picking up an amp in the near future for basic tones, and a since the amp happens to be midi channel switchable I may try a 4 cable method with everything controlled via the FM3 through a FC-6. Possible? It definitely will be the centre of my home recording, though!
yeah definitely possible. a smart person on the team runs the FM3 in the back of the stage with an FC6 out front. just like the Axe3, all the cable runs and brain are in the back - safe from beer - and the FC6 controls everything like it should. some of my corporate gigs don't like a mess of cables at the front of the stage, so this really helps keep things tidy as well.

I want it to replace my AX8, not yet positive it will (for live), due to the lower switch count. Requires me to change my habitual footswitching workflows a bit but I think it can work :)

yeah definitely possible. a smart person on the team runs the FM3 in the back of the stage with an FC6 out front. just like the Axe3, all the cable runs and brain are in the back - safe from beer - and the FC6 controls everything like it should. some of my corporate gigs don't like a mess of cables at the front of the stage, so this really helps keep things tidy as well.

I like that idea. Also keeps my wireless out of the splash zone.

An FM3 in the loop of another FM3 sending itself to AFX3 digitally, two midi cables and they all talk, 6 switches, 4 amps...before even adding an FC6.
Floor space footprint that of one big floorboard processor, digital lossless noiseless signal all the way back to the rack

I plan on using it to record at home replacing my HX Stomp, and then use it to replace my pedalboard for my tube amp for jamming

Currently I'm using a Boss ES-8 with the 4 cable method to be the brain of my rig. I'll start with the FM3 + FC6 in 4 cable method, but I'm also open minded to the idea of using the amp modelling to outright replace my Blackstar Series One 1046L6. I really do love my Blackstar though.

For now I do have a single powered speaker I could use as more of a FRFR platform to test amp modelling but I imagine I'll also test the amp modelling by running the FM3 through the return of my Blackstar to get the "amp in room feel." Also considering getting a Seymour Duncan powerstage 170, but 1 thing at a time :sweatsmile:

I just purchased my AFXIII/FC6 in November & absolutely am in love..that being said i don't know i would ever want to use the FM3 over the III if i had the choice....

however sometimes that may not be practical...(Enter FM3)..but then again...where there's a will...there's a way...so 🤷‍♂️

Anyone else gonna mess with their presets off of the AFXIII (assuming you're currently running dual amp blocks) & do a side by side comparison sing just 1 amp block to see if you can truly hear a difference & not just because you'd hope you didn't? lol

I was always enthusiastic about scaling down my rig.
FM3 will replace my Axe FX 2 setup.

For my metal band, i will build my all in one pedalboard/box. It will include a tiny Mic preamp (Connects to FM3 for vocal effects), a backing track device with simultaneous MIDI playback (Changes effects for vocals and guitar on the FM3), a wireless IEM station (Same signal for the vocals/guitar (me) and the bassist), a wireless guitar station or two, and a Seymor duncan powerstage 120 to power a real guitar cab. Also, a tiny furman power conditioner, just to keep everything safe.
All devices are tiny, and this tiny pedalboard thingy will essentialy power the whole band. Considering there are four mono outputs on the FM3, It can potentially process Guitar (with cab sim), Guitar (to real cab), Bass and vocals. Would likely fit in the back of my Zilla fatboy to save even more space when traveling.

For my rock cover band, if the guitarist wants to use it:
I would likely have an alternate pedalboard, that is essentially just the FM3 with an expression pedal, maybe two external buttons if the three on the FM3 are awkward to use... Maybe the powerstage 120 to a real cab too... Aaah, and maybe an FC6 or an FC4 (if that ever happens) just get the best outta it.

When not rehearsing or gigging, i would just easily stick the FM3 off the board, place it in my guitar bag and go home. Will no longer need a car to go to the rehearsal, like it was with the Axe FX 2 (It's awkward to carry).

Good times ahead.

Last edited:
I'm just an at-home player for my own enjoyment. I want to reduce the amount of stuff I have, get rid of lots of pedals and my Katana head. I plan on using the FM3 (my first Fractal product) with a Meris Polymoon & Merc7 in the loop, and a Moog expression pedal. That's it, a nice light setup.

I like to bring my Axe-FX III to longer / more involved jams where I'll be using a lot of different sounds and FX. For my jazz band rehearsals I don't bother because I usually want to get set up in a couple of minutes and it's pretty fast in and out, and I don't strictly need a ton of tonal variety. I bought a Fender Blues Junior for that purpose instead. But with the FM3 it's portable enough that I can just use that and a PA speaker instead, so I'll be selling my Blues Junior. Also any other situation where I just need a quick grab and go.

FM3 - bossES8 - various pedals - sd powerstage - matrix NL212 - matrix fr12 - maybe a small exp pedal.

Pedals (freqout, any glitch or hold pedals I can’t recreate). I still love buying/testing/using/trading/selling pedals. I can’t give that up. What I can do is realistically and drastically reduce my pedalboard footprint.

The ES8 for scene switching. I’ll use loop2 with the FM3 send/return loop to really be able to move things around. The ES8 lets you change pedal and loop order on the fly! So cool.

Output L will be no cab to a power stage, then to a guitar cab.
Output R will be with cab to a powered matrix frfr

Having 2 different outputs like that makes for a nice blended tone. Currently I’m using my ax8 fx send, but doing it the above way will free up that loop.

For setup I’ll have this crazy thing on a pedalboard of course but even now with my ax8 I have presets for “grab and go” situations for when my complicated stuff gets messed up or I just want to play and not worry about anything else.

Imma plug my geetar init.

I got on the list 8/1/19. Should get my invite any minute now.;)

seriously ... Digitech Drop, Tuner, Teese RMC10 wah. I’ll let the FM3 do the rest. Maybe a delay in the loop as a safety blanket.

I want to run direct and will try that. If it’s not for me, I guess I’ll consider a Duncan Power Stage into my 2x12 cab.

Going to replace my AFX2 and AX8 over time, probably sell the 2 and MFC right away to free up some funds - I really don't use it anyway. I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to lay everything out... how many switches, and where do I want them (I like everything on the right where they're easier to reach ;-), do I want the FM3 on the floor or on the backline, FC6 or 12, etc. Also, getting familiar with what I can do with the new layout features, and what does or doesn't work for me. I'm psyched to hear the FM3 through my full FR rig and my PA rig.

Then, it's time for a new band. I haven't played out for months other than a couple of auditions I ended up not wanting to join. It's been a good break, but I'm really starting to miss it. Having an FM3 will only magnify that ;-)

I'll be using the FM3 for the smaller venues where the footprint is limited (most venues). The III will mostly be relegated to the home studio for the most part.

After a number of very happy years with the AX8 I got a III last December. It was the first time I'd used a modeller I preferred over my AX8. I liked it so much I all but stopped using the AX8 and sold it for a great price

Now the FM3 is going to be on it's way to the UK (Spring onward I expect) I'll be gladly replacing my Atomic AA6 with the FM3 for rehearsals and gigs where I don't want the III at or don't need all the horsepower
The AA6 is a fine unit, I preferred it to the HX Stomp, but it's not anywhere near the league of the III. So having those tones in a unit that fits in my gigbag is going to be awesome

Last night I'd been playing through the III at home then went to rehearsal with the AA6. It's a Chic style covers band, so I don't need all the bells and whistles of the III
As I said, the Atomic is a fine little unit, but I really missed the high calibre tones of the III.
With the FM3 I'll have that capability.

I've got such cool switching setups worked out with the FC6 that I can see myself having the FM3 on top of my FRFR cab and only the FC6 in front of me, plus an expression pedal

Really looking forward to getting this unit

Back
Top Bottom