How will you setup your AX8 for live use?

Gasp100

Power User
8 buttons in front and 3 up the side... so, how will you setup your rig???
When I had the II I rarely had the MFC101 for longer than a short spat... either money, cartage or wanting more gear always came up. So that forced me to normally use inferior foot control. Which meant I'd have 5 basic patches bottom row, 4 IA's up to row and a dedicated tuner button.
The AX8 is already a win because the multi-function FS3 (Tempo / Tuner) which I want to keep.
I also want to test out scenes - I'm really thinking just 2 scenes per preset:
DRY CLEAN - WET CLEAN - Crispy (maybe using X/Y to switch to a different amp?)
So how are you going to setup your footswitching?
I also need to figure out some looping options.... I have to get up to speed!

So far I like the function switches with default settings. bottom 4 usually 4 scenes and top 4 for individual blocks enable/disable. It's so easy to setup on a per preset basis with AX8 edit. the only limitation I've discovered is that you can't use footswitches as a controller, which is one of the 3 wish list items I have for the unit.

I have my F1 preset + - all other switches are default. I also have two EV-1's and two boss switches. Plenty of options. You know, I only use a couple switches from the Ax8, so making some of them controllers would be nice.

I'm using it at church where we do a 4-5 song "set" every week. The current plan is to use F1 for tap/tuner and use F2 & F3 for preset +/-. I'll use 1 preset per song and this allows me to quickly move from preset to preset. I will use all 8 footswitches for scenes 1-8 and don't plan to have any IA switches. I tend to map out everything I need via scenes. Scenes 5-8 will be the same in every preset and will have my core clean, crunch, wet and lead tones. Scenes 1-4 will be customized per song/preset.

I used the AX8 at Church last week and made a few adjustments for the Christmas Eve service. This is how I have it set up right now:

Im leaving F1, F2, and F3 at the factory defaults.

I set up Global switches for Drive, Delay, and Filter 1 (which is set for a 3db boost), and S12 (scene 1/2 toggle).

The remaining 4 switches I'm leaving open for preset specific effects or scene assignments.

So far, it's working out pretty well.

I'm all-in with the AX8 because I sold my AxeII and Liquid Foot+ Jr+ last week. Had a twinge of doubt as I was boxing them up for shipping... But since the OP has bought and sold the AxeII like 100 times, I thought of him as I was boxing them up. I can always get another one if I need to!

I'm using it at church where we do a 4-5 song "set" every week. The current plan is to use F1 for tap/tuner and use F2 & F3 for preset +/-. I'll use 1 preset per song and this allows me to quickly move from preset to preset. I will use all 8 footswitches for scenes 1-8 and don't plan to have any IA switches. I tend to map out everything I need via scenes. Scenes 5-8 will be the same in every preset and will have my core clean, crunch, wet and lead tones. Scenes 1-4 will be customized per song/preset.
If you want to use preset +- you can only set that with F1.

STICKY PRST +/-
Activates Sticky Preset “Plus/Minus” Mode.
The F-switch LED remains lit while you step up or down (in order) through presets.
F2 becomes “Next Preset” and F3 becomes “Previous Preset.”à To exit this mode, tap the F1 switch.
Because this mode also requires F2 and F3, it can ONLY be assigned to the F1 switch.

If you want to use preset +- you can only set that with F1.

STICKY PRST +/-
Activates Sticky Preset “Plus/Minus” Mode.
The F-switch LED remains lit while you step up or down (in order) through presets.
F2 becomes “Next Preset” and F3 becomes “Previous Preset.”à To exit this mode, tap the F1 switch.
Because this mode also requires F2 and F3, it can ONLY be assigned to the F1 switch.

That's for Sticky Preset+/- Mode. You can also directly assign Preset+ and Preset- to the tap or hold on any of the F switches, so his planned layout will work.

I've been using the bottom 4 buttons as presets. (Clean, crunch, rhythm, lead)

Top row is
Boost, drive or modulation 1, modulation 2 and delay. (Modulation is anything from trem to chorus to shimmer)

I bank up/down depending on what effects I need at the moment.

Other presets are song specific if there's an effect needed

Well I've never had a Fractal processor before so my current thinking may prove ignorant and change.

But right now planning block layouts that would allow me to get through as much of our set with as few presets as possible. I'd really like to utilize scenes rather than presets. Of course, I'll probably end up with some specialty presets for some songs. But I want to avoid the 4 presets for every song route.

The reason is to keep things simple when on-the-fly adjustments are needed. Sometimes I'll have to plug into a different back line amp. Or a hollow elevated stage will require different tone shaping. The great thing about my current simple analog stomp box pedalboard is I can just turn a knob to fix it and it stays that way all night. I've found my previous digital processors less practical for real world gigs because I'd arrive at a gig with 128 presets pre-tweaked for a different environment and no easy way to adjust them all.

So I like to keep it simple and emulate my analog board at least in the beginning until I find proven settings and then expand from there only as needed.

Back
Top Bottom