AFIII How Will My Preset Translate Between Firmwares? Ares 2.0 & 15.01 + Cygnus Beta 4

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor

This video attempts to answer the age old question that occurs when Fractal Audio Systems comes out with a radical new firmware: How will my preset translate?

I re-amped to the Axe-FX II and Axe-FX-III using the same dry guitar and bass performances via USB to both devices.

I used the same preset between the two units and 3 firmwares by converting them with FracTool.

The only things different between the presets are:
1. The Bass DI Drive Block level needed to be adjusted in Ares FW15.01 & Cygnus FW16B4 because it was a lot louder.
2. I inserted a noise gate in Ares FW15.01 & Cygnus FW16B4 because it worked so much better than it did in Ares 2.0.

Drum levels were the same, EQ was the same. I tried to balance the loudness of the guitar and bass the same too, despite some timbral differences that you will notice.

Ares 2.0 starts at 0:00
Ares 15.01 starts at 0:50
Cygnus 16 Beta 4 starts at 1:56

You be the judge if you will need to adjust anything else between firmware versions for this level of gain.

That bass sound on 15.01...amazing to my dumb ears. Sounds like classic DD Verni to me. Not sure if it's the spectrum it was able to take up it the mix or the preset changes due to FW changes. Very nice presentation!

Back
Top Bottom