How Will AX8 Take Advantage of Prior Presets? Or Starting From Scratch?

Ok, cool. There are many here who have been kind and helpful. And then there are those who are not. And then there are those who feel some sort of superiority and like to talk down to others who aren't already part of the AxeFx club. I don't take kindly to jerks.
;-))))

Yeah, it does seem arseholery is an internet art, and certainly isn't limited to any brand forum. It creeps in here, but it isn't as bad as some of the others I visit. There's a lot of genuine help to be had from a lot of good people. Hang on to the useful, ignore the rest. It's a good spot.

I definitely care. I don't see myself keeping both since I seldom use 2 amps, 2 cabs and tons of effects at one time, so the Axe II is overkill for me. But I do have a lot of basic presets, that should easily load into the AX8, that I would like to easily transfer over even if my Axe II is gone.

Save your blocks now then before you get rid of the Axe II as a precaution.

Last edited:
Yeah, it does seem arseholery is an internet art, and certainly isn't limited to any brand forum. It creeps in here, but it isn't as bad as some of the others I visit. There's a lot of genuine help to be had from a lot of good people. Hang on to the useful, ignore the rest. It's a good spot.
Thanks.

And schematics of how you put your patches together with the blocks.

Sure, why not. Or take simple screen shots. None of us know if FAS is planning to develop and release some kind of utility that will accomplish what you are wising for. I would simply recreate them in the AX8 myself but if you fear losing some critical data then by all means take precautions and protect yourself in the event they do not.

Backed up all my presets...but already sold my AXE II anticipating this unit being released. Bang head here... Anyone want to sketch out/screenshot my three fav presets in exchange for eternal gratuity?

Backed up all my presets...but already sold my AXE II anticipating this unit being released. Bang head here... Anyone want to sketch out/screenshot my three fav presets in exchange for eternal gratuity?

I'm in the same boat :D I'm actually not worried at all about my core 10 or so presets; I'll be able to dial those back in with no problem. But there were some that I downloaded for occasional use (like the Brit Floyd ones) and I would have no idea where to begin on those, especially since they weren't created by trying to slavishly copy the original signal chain. I'll survive either way, but as Fractal grows, assuming they continue to do so with a unified coding base, it seems like the desire for some sort of work around for this will only grow.Especially when new to the fold folks come along and see the hundreds of presets available for various Fractal Audio units on the exchange.
-
Austin

Well Eric, why have an AX8 Exchange at all then??

Because some will want it. Just because I'm not interested doesn't mean I'm opposed. Just pointing out that eventually there will be plenty of AX8 users sharing presets and you won't have to rely on converted AxeFX presets.

Sure, sent me a pm and I'll send you my email address.

I'll add the converse.

This is true, and generally I agree with you. The only issue is that the Axe gives you SO MANY options over fine control that you don't even get with "real" gear...that's what most people don't want to lose, if I'm not mistaken. Recreating a basic amp-cab-reverb-delay preset, for example, not a big deal. But recreating the amp settings including various tube types, bias amounts, advanced effect parameters, etc...all of that would be pretty hard to remember or even notate before a switch. And those kind of options are absolutely amazing. But make recreating easily a bit less easy.

Plus when you have hundreds (or thousands) of presets, recreating them all is daunting for sure.

But if you don't have an AxeFX, then you aren't likely to be concerned with porting presets over, no?
Not porting, but taking advantage of all the existing presets in Axe Exchange and elsewhere. Not sure why that's difficult to understand.

Because some will want it. Just because I'm not interested doesn't mean I'm opposed. Just pointing out that eventually there will be plenty of AX8 users sharing presets and you won't have to rely on converted AxeFX presets.

As big as the FX8 exchange? ;-)))

This is true, and generally I agree with you. The only issue is that the Axe gives you SO MANY options over fine control that you don't even get with "real" gear...that's what most people don't want to lose, if I'm not mistaken. Recreating a basic amp-cab-reverb-delay preset, for example, not a big deal. But recreating the amp settings including various tube types, bias amounts, advanced effect parameters, etc...all of that would be pretty hard to remember or even notate before a switch. And those kind of options are absolutely amazing. But make recreating easily a bit less easy.

Plus when you have hundreds (or thousands) of presets, recreating them all is daunting for sure.
I have with my Kemper and all previous modelers 5-8 presets that I use live in my '80s pop/rock cover band... I generally can cover "anything" respectably with my main 5 presets. I sometimes will need to copy a patch so that I can have a weird effect if we add a new song that needs something specific.

Hundreds? Thousands? o_O

I have with my Kemper and all previous modelers 5-8 presets that I use live in my '80s pop/rock cover band... I generally can cover "anything" respectably with my main 5 presets. I sometimes will need to copy a patch so that I can have a weird effect if we add a new song that needs something specific.

Hundreds? Thousands? o_O

Agree, and I think most users just have a handful of go-to presets. But there are a number of folks around here that do, in fact, have hundreds of presets in regular rotation (some of whom talk about it regularly). They are mostly the pro or semi-pro guys that gig regularly but still... I have a handful of presets that are my go-to and I can use on the fly, but we have a songlist of about 150 songs (not always in regular rotation) and I have a different preset for almost each of them (some do double duty).

Howbeit, for those that have one unit and not the other a possible solution would be to create the possibility on Axechange to upload a patch decomposed in blocks...(hell of a job I fear) -> wishlist. Under reserve of the remark of Chris that I resume as "let's wait and see", which probably is true.

Back
Top Bottom