How well does it take pedals?

JustinAiken

Inspired
Hello everyone...

I'm considering simplifying my life and getting one of these instead of my current rig of a JSX 212 combo and around 15 pedals...

But I love the overdrives I get with the Analogman King of Tone... If I put that in front of the Axe-FX, would I get awesome sounds like I do with my amp, or does overdrive pedals not drive the digital sims well?

By all accounts to date, the Axe-Fx loves pedals. According to its designer, the analog input section of the Axe-Fx was especially designed to handle pedals that deliver boosted signal levels.

Several forum members here use pedals with their Axe-Fx units, both in front and in the Axe-Fx's loop.

Wow... that makes this extremely tempting... I could keep my KoT and maybe the Keeley Blues Driver in front... maybe my Space Echo and RC-20 in the loop... and have it all MIDI controlled...

I would be perfectly happy with my setup now, but too many pedals and no cash left for a switching system means too much noise...

I've never been able to get good results with using pedals in the fx loop... Probably something i'm doing wrong but i'm just not getting enough level. I have to crank the output 2 knob to full and even then it is barely audible...

Any tips from those currently getting good results?

megalowmatt said:
Pedals? It don't need no steenking pedals. :D

yes, what he said

Seriously, I had a OCD ver3 that I had to sell to help purchase my Axe Fx, but I got to try it first into the AX before I sold it, and it sounded great. However, I do not miss it, as I get plenty of good tones inside the ax. But I know there are others who like specific tones of certain pedals, but I am very content not messing with all the extra cables and set up.

In all fairness I have never tried a KOT. However, one of my favorite od sounds is a Barber Direct Drive. I also used to use an Analogman modded Tube Screamer for low gain drive sounds. The modded TS block in the axe nails any sound I ever got out of my Analogman TS pedal. After a small amount of experimentation, I was able to get a very convincing Direct Drive sound via the Rat block in the axe.

I guess my point is that even though the KOT drive is not "modeled" in the axe, the sound is probably there with a little effort.

Sorry about the smart a** response earlier.

it's like the old world
a tweed takes pedals very well but a matchless is very critical with pedals
I sold all my pedals
you don't need a ocd if you can dial in a good Marshall plexi 800 900 etc
a Zendrive emulates a Dumble but allmost only on a twin reverb
it's all and more in the axefx

teejay said:
I've never been able to get good results with using pedals in the fx loop... Probably something i'm doing wrong but i'm just not getting enough level. I have to crank the output 2 knob to full and even then it is barely audible...

Yrs, you are probably doing something something wrong. There should be enough signal going out output2 to crush the inputs of just about any pedal. I use pedals in the loop all the time. I have to be careful not to clip the inputs back into the axe-fx w/ drive pedals. The front input has a soft limiter so it isn't as much an issue.

First put an effects loop block where you want the pedal to be placed in the effects chain. The Axe-fx will loose about 6db using the output 2 so I usually will compensate for that by boosting the effects loop main level by +6db. Then make sure your input and output 2 are up a bit. Start with the outputs 2 low and bring it up the key here is to get the signal going to the pedals the same as plugging into the pedal directly. This will require some A/Bing. You may want to go from the pedal out to something else for the time being just to get the levels right if you are having problems. I have a switchblade so it made that part really easy. It doesn't necessarily have to be perfect but what you don't want to do is be clipping the inputs to the pedals, listen for that. After you get a good signal to the pedals, w/ the pedal off turn the loop on and off and adjust input 2 until the volume is the same whether it is on or off. If the input starts clipping before that reduce the input until it stops clipping and add more level.

If with output2 turned all the way up you can't enough signal to the pedal (which is unlikely), you can send it even more by turning that rows level up in the fx loop block.

javajunkie said:
teejay said:

Yrs, you are probably doing something something wrong. There should be enough signal going out output2 to crush the inputs of just about any pedal. I use pedals in the loop all the time. I have to be careful not to clip the inputs back into the axe-fx w/ drive pedals. The front input has a soft limiter so it isn't as much an issue.

First put an effects loop block where you want the pedal to be placed in the effects chain. The Axe-fx will loose about 6db using the output 2 so I usually will compensate for that by boosting the effects loop main level by +6db. Then make sure your input and output 2 are up a bit. Start with the outputs 2 low and bring it up the key here is to get the signal going to the pedals the same as plugging into the pedal directly. This will require some A/Bing. You may want to go from the pedal out to something else for the time being just to get the levels right if you are having problems. I have a switchblade so it made that part really easy. It doesn't necessarily have to be perfect but what you don't want to do is be clipping the inputs to the pedals, listen for that. After you get a good signal to the pedals, w/ the pedal off turn the loop on and off and adjust input 2 until the volume is the same whether it is on or off. If the input starts clipping before that reduce the input until it stops clipping and add more level.

If with output2 turned all the way up you can't enough signal to the pedal (which is unlikely), you can send it even more by turning that rows level up in the fx loop block.
Thanks very much for your reply. It seems i am doing everything that i should. I am certainly not a novice at programming fx and have had many high end processors over the years such as Eventide an TC but this FX Loop is just not right in my opinion.
For example;
I place the Effect Loop block before the Amp Block and hook in an MXR Phase90. With all settings set to unity i get barely anything (even if i set the effects loop main level by +6db). If i match the same levels as my Input1 (11 o'clock) and Output1 (12(o'clock) with the In/Out2 knobs i still have barely anything and it seems in my mind that i should...

teejay said:
javajunkie said:
teejay said:

Thanks very much for your reply. It seems i am doing everything that i should. I am certainly not a novice at programming fx and have had many high end processors over the years such as Eventide an TC but this FX Loop is just not right in my opinion.
For example;
I place the Effect Loop block before the Amp Block and hook in an MXR Phase90. With all settings set to unity i get barely anything (even if i set the effects loop main level by +6db). If i match the same levels as my Input1 (11 o'clock) and Output1 (12(o'clock) with the In/Out2 knobs i still have barely anything and it seems in my mind that i should...

Input 1 and input 2 have different levels (input1 is guitar level, input 2 is line level) putting them the same will not yield the same results. The rear inputs are designed for a rack device (line level) not pedals, you will have to compensate.

That being said, output 2 should have enough signal level to fry your pedals (it is send out a line level signal). that is one of the reasons cliff cut it by 6db, if I remember correctly. I have no problem using the pedals in the loop using the method I described. So either you Axe-fx is defective or you have some setting that is keeping the signal levels low.

axepilot said:
I love my Crybaby Classic wah, and I run it in front of the FX. It takes it like a champ.

Same with my Vox 847 reissue wah (true bypass modded). By tweaking the wahs in the Axe-Fx I can make it sound comparatively close but the tone/Q/frequency interaction of the 847 is just a bit different and not as linear as the Axe-Fx's wah. Truth is, however, that I hardly EVER play my Vox wah anymore because it's too much weight to lug around or even set up when the Axe-Fx wah does it 97% as good. If I was in a funk tribute band, however, I may bring the Vox wah as added artilery to the arsenal of the Axe-Fx.

Back
Top Bottom