How well do the Dumble amp models stack up against the real thing?

I don’t know how much of the tone is in the fingers and guitar, but I’ve not had an easy time replicating what I hear as “brassy” overdrive like Robben, or the famed “note flip” feedback. I’ve got some Dumbleish tones in the AxeFX that I’m pretty happy with overall, though. I still love my own D build, but I‘m probably biased.

It all depends on the depth of your pockets. Someone paid $40,000,000 for a Ferrari a few months ago. Paintings sell for $100.000,000+. Some people have crossed the Rubicon to the point where cost is no longer a factor, it is bragging rights that matters.

And like all 1959 Les Pauls, there are no dogs, each one is the pinnacle of excellence. :tonguewink:
Someone paid $120K for a banana duct-taped to a wall as "art".

saw a kid on the street yesterday playing a cheap strat through a fuzz box, a delay box and a small amp the size of lunch box playing for change. he’s playing rings around most guys I know and his tone is incredible. Buy an Ax III and save the $183k.

If I ever move into the illegal goods and services industry, I'm going to use art as my primary money laundering system.

"Oh cool so you want to buy $10 million worth of my drugs/slaves/exotic animals/etc? Cool, I'm going to sell this dumb piece of canvas with 12 cents worth of paint on it as 'art' that I can say symbolizes eternity or some nonsense. Buy it from me for $10 million and I'll give you what I've got."

Various of those sound great, in different ways, but the only one that sounded kind of supernaturally cool to me was that first Quinn clip. Sort of beyond sustain into swell, however possible that is.

Last edited:
That sounds great but to my ears doesn’t do the Robben/Dumble thing.
If you are like me, you've seen Robben play a dozen times and heard his amp live. It's not just the amp, although that is big - it's also his hands and how he plays. His amp is also VERY bright and I think it's possible that's why he likes to use a R121 in the studio to beef it up when recording and control the highs.

If I ever move into the illegal goods and services industry, I'm going to use art as my primary money laundering system.

"Oh cool so you want to buy $10 million worth of my drugs/slaves/exotic animals/etc? Cool, I'm going to sell this dumb piece of canvas with 12 cents worth of paint on it as 'art' that I can say symbolizes eternity or some nonsense. Buy it from me for $10 million and I'll give you what I've got."

Uh oh haha you've hit on a very random pet topic of mine 😅 As I'm sure you know, this is actually a longtime rampant practice.

Unfortunately for your plan, the art world has very recently seen an enormous increase in heat. Last year Congress introduced an expansion of the Bank Secrecy Act that would move to classify large art dealers as financial institutions subject to the same laser scrutiny as banks, and the UK just shotgunned a similar bill into law over Christmas that's causing a big shakeup. Most assume from Hollywood, etc. that the main concern with money laundering is white collar get rich schemes and drug money, but it's terrorism funding that really pushes the legislation.

So off-topic haha sry I have family in the art world and so randomly keep up with it.

Guess you'll need to move into rare amps and guitars instead 😅

Uh oh haha you've hit on a very random pet topic of mine 😅 As I'm sure you know, this is actually a longtime rampant practice.

Unfortunately for your plan, the art world has very recently seen an enormous increase in heat. Last year Congress introduced an expansion of the Bank Secrecy Act that would move to classify large art dealers as financial institutions subject to the same laser scrutiny as banks, and the UK just shotgunned a similar bill into law over Christmas that's causing a big shakeup. Most assume from Hollywood, etc. that the main concern with money laundering is white collar get rich schemes and drug money, but it's terrorism funding that really pushes the legislation.

So off-topic haha sry I have family in the art world and so randomly keep up with it.

Guess you'll need to move into rare amps and guitars instead 😅
Another thing art is used as is a tax write-off.

1. Rich, evil Wall St. CEO commissions artist to do painting. Gives him a few grand.
2. CEO then donates said painting to museum and claims it's worth $1M.
3. Profit (in the form of a $1M tax deduction).

I just found this clip I posted here in 2011! So must have been using the Ultra. Sounds pretty good to me. Will have to keep trying with the III.

Dunno, but I’ll use the trick in Tim’s Vermeer to paint anyone and charge only $3MM for a Vermeer by me! Waitlist soon!

People dont pay that much worrying that theyll lose money on resale.

I mean come on, if I loved guitar and had money to burn, why not? It's a demo that pays you. No brainers.

Will he get 185k? No effin way...

bjjp2 - i never really managed to gel with them until i found the right cab combination. i'm liking (for lead work), the ODS-100 Ford PAB. i have it set up with input drive and overdrive on about 6.5, bass on 6.5, treble on 3.7, pres on 3 and mv on 5. speaker res curve is the 2x12 lead 80
i'm running it into two ownhammer cabs, the 4x12 celestion lead 80 and the 1x2 EV-L V3. they're both live modern mixes, i think.
also sounds great boosted with the esoteric rcb with drive on 3.7 and volume on 7.
i'm using humbuckers, so if you're a tele or strat guy, this probably won't work for you. there's nothing special about anything i've done here...all pretty bog standard, but it took me ages to find the cab combo i liked.
Something magical about RCB level set at 7... just discovered it last night

Back
Top Bottom