How well do the Dumble amp models stack up against the real thing?

I'm GASing for one of those new VHT Dumble clone amps that are going to be shown at NAMM. I am also going to pick up a FM3 once my number finally comes up. The VHT amp sounds great but would be redundant with a FM3? What are your thoughts?

If you want a real Dumble clone get a Bruno Super 100.

First off, there is no "Dumble amp". He made each amplifier individually for each buyer, if any are the exact same, it was not on purpose or from the thought of mass producing.

Tony Bruno had access to four Dumbles that belonged to Gene at Ultrasound Studios in NYC. He created his own schematics and can reproduce any of four perfectly, or can modify those further to your tastes.

The thing about the Brunos is, he tests each part individually and compares that to his notes of individual parts. He doesn't just use capacitor XYZ, that should be +/- 10% from a standard, he uses one that is exactly the same as the one in the Dumble he is copying. So if the reading should be .243, he gets a lot closer to that than accepting anything between 218-267.

The issue with tone is, it is the result of each part in the signal chain. If your first three parts are all off by 10% each, a completely acceptable standard, you are off by 33% early on, how can it sound right fifty parts later?

I will probably get flamed: long-time user and fan of Ultra, II, AX8 and III. The one sound that I simply can't reproduce is the Dumble sound. For comparison, I've never owned a real Dumble but I've had several Dumble style amps by Quinn, Two Rock, Fuchs, Glaswerks for comparison. I can't get that Robben Ford flutey sound from any of the Dumble or related models on the Fractals the way I could from the amps. I've tried the Dumble presets that have been floated here and they don't do it either for me. If anyone has a preset for me to try that will prove me wrong I'd be delighted.

I will probably get flamed: long-time user and fan of Ultra, II, AX8 and III. The one sound that I simply can't reproduce is the Dumble sound. For comparison, I've never owned a real Dumble but I've had several Dumble style amps by Quinn, Two Rock, Fuchs, Glaswerks for comparison. I can't get that Robben Ford flutey sound from any of the Dumble or related models on the Fractals the way I could from the amps. I've tried the Dumble presets that have been floated here and they don't do it either for me. If anyone has a preset for me to try that will prove me wrong I'd be delighted.

have you fiddled with the gain enhancement on the amp block's dynamics page?

bjjp2 - i never really managed to gel with them until i found the right cab combination. i'm liking (for lead work), the ODS-100 Ford PAB. i have it set up with input drive and overdrive on about 6.5, bass on 6.5, treble on 3.7, pres on 3 and mv on 5. speaker res curve is the 2x12 lead 80
i'm running it into two ownhammer cabs, the 4x12 celestion lead 80 and the 1x2 EV-L V3. they're both live modern mixes, i think.
also sounds great boosted with the esoteric rcb with drive on 3.7 and volume on 7.
i'm using humbuckers, so if you're a tele or strat guy, this probably won't work for you. there's nothing special about anything i've done here...all pretty bog standard, but it took me ages to find the cab combo i liked.

bjjp2 - i never really managed to gel with them until i found the right cab combination. i'm liking (for lead work), the ODS-100 Ford PAB. i have it set up with input drive and overdrive on about 6.5, bass on 6.5, treble on 3.7, pres on 3 and mv on 5. speaker res curve is the 2x12 lead 80
i'm running it into two ownhammer cabs, the 4x12 celestion lead 80 and the 1x2 EV-L V3. they're both live modern mixes, i think.
also sounds great boosted with the esoteric rcb with drive on 3.7 and volume on 7.
i'm using humbuckers, so if you're a tele or strat guy, this probably won't work for you. there's nothing special about anything i've done here...all pretty bog standard, but it took me ages to find the cab combo i liked.

Thanks, will give these settings a try.

i guess one thing you could try, is to run the axe into the fx return of one of your amps with cab and power amp modelling turned off and see if you can at least get the preamp section working the way you like. at least you'd be 1/3 of the way there. then select the right power amp tubes and find the sweet spot for the master volume and then find the right cab. maybe you could make your own cab ir?

It depends on which type of Dumble you're searching for. As other people already said, every single D is different from another.
Said this we can also add that, at least, we could divide the "D" sound in two big circuits: Overdrive Special (ODS, two channel, Robben Ford has two of this type) and Steel String Singer (SSS, one super pristine-infinite-sustain channel, 150w, used for example by SRV).

I don't like so much Bruno Super 50/100, but I never played one of them, just listened on YT. I got various clone or amps inspired by "D" such as Fuchs Ods, Skrydstrup Od50 and a couple of Italian Graaled head, made by Tony Dangelo.
If today I have to choose to take with me a single "D" amp on a desert island, I will take as ODS type a Quinn TKT183 for sure and as SSS type one between these:

-Bludotone Hi Plain Drifter
-Welagen SSS
-Two Rock Silver Sterling Signature

It would be amazing if Cliff could add a SSS type to the long list of Fractal Amps.
Please Cliff! 🥰 😍 😘

I have Burgs' Dumbles preset, and I love it. As someone pointed out above, there is no one "Dumble sound". Brett's Scenes include a couple of Robben Ford-sounding versions, and there is a clean scene (great for playing jazz) while my favourite, go-to scene is Scene 3. I've never played a real Dumble, but I have "that sound" somewhere in my head from ones I've heard, and Burgs' version is as close as it gets. But then your ears, and your internal "brain hearing" may be different from mine. And let's face it - if playing in public, no audience is going to notice, or care, or even be able to hear minute differences in tone anyway, so it's all about whether you enjoy playing a sound - and Brett Kingman's does it for me.

I just had my mind blown by @austinbuddy ’s new Steel String Singer patch from his new Naked Amps for the III, it is as dumblicious as could could ask for....AND IT IS AN AMPEG MODEL.
Thanks Brad. Brandon of Bludotone amps explained to me just what changes to make to an Ampeg SVT model to make it into a Steel String Singer a few years back — and it really works!

Last edited:
I just had my mind blown by @austinbuddy ’s new Steel String Singer patch from his new Naked Amps for the III, it is as dumblicious as could could ask for....AND IT IS AN AMPEG MODEL.
Thanks Bad. Brandon of Bludotone amps explained to me just what changes to make to an Ampeg SVT model to make it into a Steel String Singer a few years back — and it really works!
I friggin' loooove that preset with my Silver Sky and had the same "whaaaat?" moment when I first looked at what amp model it was using. Goes to show that it's the end result that matters, not the method you used to get there.

It depends on which type of Dumble you're searching for. As other people already said, every single D is different from another.
Said this we can also add that, at least, we could divide the "D" sound in two big circuits: Overdrive Special (ODS, two channel, Robben Ford has two of this type) and Steel String Singer (SSS, one super pristine-infinite-sustain channel, 150w, used for example by SRV).

I don't like so much Bruno Super 50/100, but I never played one of them, just listened on YT. I got various clone or amps inspired by "D" such as Fuchs Ods, Skrydstrup Od50 and a couple of Italian Graaled head, made by Tony Dangelo.
If today I have to choose to take with me a single "D" amp on a desert island, I will take as ODS type a Quinn TKT183 for sure and as SSS type one between these:

-Bludotone Hi Plain Drifter
-Welagen SSS
-Two Rock Silver Sterling Signature

It would be amazing if Cliff could add a SSS type to the long list of Fractal Amps.
Please Cliff! 🥰 😍 😘

Dang that First TKT clip sounds sweet.

Back
Top Bottom