How well do external (real) fuzz pedals work with the Axe-Fx?

Miseria

I'm very happy with the over drive pedals and amps in the Axe FX. So much so that I sold all my analog pedals (except an EP booster).

BUT I've been wanting to get a Germanium fuzz to use with my Strat (as well as dying to try out some of the Bee Electronics fuzz boxes). Will these pedals typically behave the way they would with a real amp?

For example this video of Pete Thorn highlighting the interaction between a low gain fuzz and a Strat - something I find myself in dire need of ;)

Here's a demo of the EQD Erupter fuzz that Brett Kingman did using an Axe Fx 3, sounds pretty awesome to me!

no pb with my Mad professor Red fire Fuzz with AFX2 and 3
just sound great as any other good tube amps

hmmm... in fact may be better with any other tube amp, as you can tweak input impedance ;)

Yep , a nice germanium fuzz in front of the III is nothing to sneeze at. ..been having good fun recently with the RYRA FUZZ A-MATIC.

If using a fuzz pedal externally there should be no issue. If using fuzz in drive block, put the block first in chain and Set the impedance in the Noise Gate to 90k and try that, then try the Auto setting. Do you feel/hear a difference?

I thought this vid might be worth a mention in this thread. The Beatles used a Vox UL730 to record many of the stellar tones found on Revolver and Sgt. Pepper albums. A company in Spain have just produced an OD/Fuzz that nails those tones. I stuck it in the front end of my Axe-FX III running a clean JTM45 model in Qv8. T'was a thing of beauty, I thought!

I thought this vid might be worth a mention in this thread. The Beatles used a Vox UL730 to record many of the stellar tones found on Revolver and Sgt. Pepper albums. A company in Spain have just produced an OD/Fuzz that nails those tones. I stuck it in the front end of my Axe-FX III running a clean JTM45 model in Qv8. T'was a thing of beauty, I thought!

Hey--I'm doing the same thing--love it!

Back
Top Bottom