how use syx

These are "sysex" (midi system exclusive) files.

Fractal uses this format to store presets, IRs and firmware updates.

To use them the details of what they are will be required.

I do not know what I am doing. I am not a tech head. I have the Cooper Carter masterclass fm 3 video and he has syx items. what do the syx do ? Cooper does not explain what syx are for.
I can only speak to his FX III class, but almost all the syx files are presets. Just download the files and then use the preset manager in the Axe Edit software to copy/paste them into your own banks.

presets of what ? and Cooper does say anything about syx, but does talk syx briefly in the Fractal Bot section, once again I am new to this fm 3 and not a tech head. I need more info. How do you get a hold of Cooper Carter ?

I'm sure you can message him if you got his course, but he might need to back way TF up for this question and not sure he will lol, Its actually easy, just watch some vids and the course, you'll be rocking in no time at all, just dive in..

presets of what ? and Cooper does say anything about syx, but does talk syx briefly in the Fractal Bot section, once again I am new to this fm 3 and not a tech head. I need more info. How do you get a hold of Cooper Carter ?
Cooper Carter provides presets for some of the sounds that you hear him demo, so that you can install them on your FM3. Right now I wouldn't worry about the .syx files tho. Go thru the class, read the manual and then get familiar with how to handle .syx files later on. You may not ever want to install them, and you don't have to. You don't need to get stressed about this when you are still trying to figure out how to use the FM3. One step at a time, and have fun!

Cooper Carter provides presets for some of the sounds that you hear him demo, so that you can install them on your FM3. Right now I wouldn't worry about the .syx files tho. Go thru the class, read the manual and then get familiar with how to handle .syx files later on. You may not ever want to install them, and you don't have to. You don't need to get stressed about this when you are still trying to figure out how to use the FM3. One step at a time, and have fun!
^^^ This.

If you aren't sure what presets are, do Cooper's course and get oriented.

But like @DougB415 said have some fun too! You just got a device with a crapton of cool factory presets you can play right out of the box, all kinds of amps, clean and dirty, and tons of effects, so check them out. If you find something you dig, play!

Learning can wait, head for inspiration.

You just got a device with a crapton of cool factory presets you can play right out of the box, all kinds of amps, clean and dirty, and tons of effects, so check them out.
Yes, as Dave said, there are a bunch of factory presets, they were just updated for the most recent firmware, and they sound great.

Explore those and begin to learn the system. Don't immediately try loading things in because it's important to get it sounding good with the defaults, THEN try modifying a factory preset you like and go from there.

I am new to this fm 3 and not a tech head. I need more info.
I'd highly recommend reading through at least the first four sections in the manual several times. Also, watch Leon Todd's and Cooper Carter's videos as they demonstrate all sorts of useful things to know.

The system isn't like a pedal for our pedal boards, it's a combination of hundreds of pedals, hundreds of amplifiers, hundreds of cabinets, and hundreds of studio post-effects, and the terminology and knowledge needed covers those things plus studio techniques. Depending on how much time you give yourself, and what you already are familiar with and know, the learning curve can be gentle, or it can be steep so I'd recommend taking your time, absorbing the manual, watching the videos, and fiddling along with them, and you'll catch on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Thanks guys for your help. I was not stressed about anything Cooper said or had to offer. I was just curious what they where.
Hey there, you can skip to the last module of the class on managing preset and cab files if you want to, but I do recommend starting at the beginning and going through the class in order.
.syx files can be all sorts of things, but as someone mentioned above, most of the ones in the class are preset files.

Thanks guys for your help. I was not stressed about anything Cooper said or had to offer. I was just curious what they where.

.sys is the extension of a file containing MIDI SysEx (System Exclussive) data. SysEx are messages used to transmit or store information about specific functions inside a MIDI device. e.g.: Presets, CAB files or Firmware Update files contain sysex data.

Sysex messages, unlike standard MIDI commands that are common for all MIDI equipment (e.g.: select preset, change volume or Note on/off), are defined by the manufacturer and are unique for each device.

With modern MIDI hardware, the final user doesn't have to be concerned about sysex because it is normally handled by user friendly software. In the case of Fractal Audio, that is Axe-Edit, FM3/9-Edit and Fractal Boot. With the first synths and FX processors we had to learn how to handle sysex data in order to dump information to and from the device or to develop our own editors.

Only software developers like @AlGrenadine that created the useful FracTool or the builders of DIY MIDI controllers with advanced functions (standard functions are simple MIDI commands) have the need to learn the sysex complexities

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom